Selecting a computer configuration (expert optimisation a priority) - page 2

Maxim Romanov:
I have 8 Giga on 8 cores. My Expert Advisors are loading a maximum of 5 Gigs, if I optimize them on all cores, and mt5. Heavy Expert Advisors require up to 1.5 gigs per core. But I have heavy EAs on mt4, I don't know how they will be on mt5.

I will be testing mostly only TS League.

On average, oneTesting Agent for the League consumes (according to the system monitor) 180MB. Hardly needs more.

All my Expert Advisors are very simple, requiring max 1000 last bars on small timeframes. On large timeframes it is even less.

So, yes, it looks like we can keep the memory at 8Gb as well.

A csd brings all old computers back to life.
It's up to you, though.

Vladislav Andruschenko:
SSD brings all old computers back to life.
It's up to you, though.

I see... It's not just computers that bring money back to life...

Well, I don't have that kind of opportunity... I'm gonna have to dig deep into my stash...

The sd is for later... It's a worthwhile endeavour... but alas...

Georgiy Merts:

I see... It's not just computers that bring money back to life...

Well, I don't have that kind of opportunity... And so it's a lot to dig into...

SSD is for later... It's a worthwhile endeavour... but alas...

It's up to you, of course. Once again. I used to have an old AMD 4-core and 16 gig. It was old and lagging terribly. 3, 5 terminals really put it in the hole.
I put in an SSD and the computer came to life. 20 terminals easily. Including the optimization is now not slowing down.
Probably this way to not change the processor. By the way my old AMD is 10 years old too.

Regarding optimization. I haven't noticed much difference between old AMD and "major" Intel. So, if you want to optimise it, you don't need a good CPU at all. All the more so for mt4.
And one more point. Ddr4 with good bandwidth requires a good mother, which pulls with it a good CPU, plus a good PSU, chassis, and silent fans.

1. The computer should be assembled, instead of buying ready-made - it will be about 1.5 times cheaper. Of course not to assemble personally, but to order, the cheapest on the website regard: warranty on assembly 1 year + warranty on each part. For memory, usually a lifetime warranty. This will result in a much longer warranty than for a pre-built computer.

2. Than to buy a not working computer, it is better to work on the old one and save money as the computer is not replaced every year. So you have to dance from WHAT you need and then whether you can afford it. And you need the following.

• Number of cores to the maximum, threads are not important
  • Processor frequency is not so important
  • What matters is HONOR, which drastically increases the reliability of the computer, and it is quite a certain processor, memory and mother. If you have a few hours of optimization, it's a very interesting question: what did you get as a result?
  • SSD is unnecessary, a harmful thing. Better to buy a higher quality drive for the same money. Even the green ones will do, and are cheaper with a bigger capacity.
  • power supply is important, bronze is good enough and has a big influence on reliability
  • To keep the noise down you need to buy fans with a diameter of 140 or more. A small one spins fast and therefore makes a lot of noise. I have two 140 each and can't hear anything at all.
  • Don't forget a suitable cooler for the CPU.
  • Make the system box as big as possible so it won't get too warm.
  • If you don't intend to use a graphics card for calculations, make it as cheap as possible.

Personally, I recommend the processors XEON, 1200 series is the cheapest - there are processors for 200-300 quid. They are not more expensive than other Intel processors and they are professional.

СанСаныч Фоменко:

1. The computer should be assembled, instead of buying ready-made - it will be about 1.5 times cheaper. Of course not to assemble personally, but to order, the cheapest on the website regard: warranty on assembly 1 year + warranty on each part. For memory, usually a lifetime warranty. This will result in a much longer warranty than for a pre-built computer.

2. Than to buy a not working computer, it is better to work on the old one and save money as the computer is not replaced every year. So you have to dance from WHAT you need and then whether you can afford it. And you need the following.

• What matters is HONOR, which drastically increases the reliability of the computer, and it is quite a certain processor, memory and mother. If you have a few hours of optimization, it's a very interesting question: what did you get as a result?
  • SSD is unnecessary, a harmful thing. Better to buy a higher quality drive for the same money. Even the green ones will do, and are cheaper with a bigger capacity.
  • power supply is important, bronze is good enough and has a big influence on reliability
  • To keep the noise down you need to buy fans with a diameter of 140 or more. A small one spins fast and therefore makes a lot of noise. I have two 140 each and can't hear anything at all.
  • If you don't plan to use a graphics card for calculations, then as cheap as possible.

Personally, I recommend processors XEON, 1200 series is the cheapest - there are processors for 200-300 quid. They are not more expensive than other Intel processors, but they are professional ones.

They don't even stand close to an SSD. Even with higher quality. Even with maximum quality.
SSD is for the system. So it doesn't slow down. And it doesn't matter what kind of processor it has.

Vladislav Andruschenko:

It's nowhere near as good as an SSD. Even with higher quality. Even at maximum quality.
An SSD is for your system. So it doesn't slow down. It doesn't matter what kind of CPU it has.

Nonsense, I've got an sd, I'm done for good.

i can copy and paste some 20gb folder on my sd to the same sd and check its speed : you will see one, not 300-500 like in passport.

The system is slowing down for a completely different reason - you have to take care of it.

Vladislav Andruschenko:

It's nowhere near as good as an SSD. Even with higher quality. Even at maximum quality.
You get an SSD for your system. So it doesn't slow down. And it doesn't matter what kind of processor it has.

It all depends on RAM and system settings. For instance if I use less than 90 % of RAM everything runs through it. That is why I don't see any lags even when working with HDD as such.
By the way, similar settings are also recommended when working with SSD. In order to prolong its lifetime. So far, they are still quite sensitive to frequent writes to it.

СанСаныч Фоменко:
  • You don't need an SSD, it's not good for you. It is better to buy a higher quality drive for the same money. Even the green ones are fine, and cost less for a larger capacity.

And at what speed will the HDD volume, let's say 500 gb, if the speed will be 5400?

I have not even seen read speeds measured for HDD. Probably, because it is unpredictable. And when defragmentation is required and you don't do it, you're screwed... the lag... ...so bad.

СанСаныч Фоменко:

1. The computer should be assembled, instead of buying ready-made - it will be about 1.5 times cheaper. Of course not to assemble personally, but to order, the cheapest on the website regard: warranty on assembly 1 year + warranty on each part. For memory, usually a lifetime warranty. This will result in a much longer warranty than for a ready made PC.

• If you don't plan on using a graphics card for calculations, then as cheap as possible.

Personally, I recommend processors XEON, 1200 series is the cheapest - there are processors for 200-300 quid. They are not more expensive than other Intel's, and they belong to the professional ones.

I see.

Well, I'm figuring out possible configurations right now. I will, of course, be assembling...

Reason: