[ARCHIVE] Any rookie question, so as not to clutter up the forum. Professionals, don't pass by. Nowhere without you - 3. - page 265

Guys, can you advise... When testing an Expert Advisor on Alpari tool _SP500 (history downloaded) writes in "Log" - see red underline in the screenshot, something like: "margin changed level cannot be calculated". Deals in the tester are not opened, despite the fact that the conditions have been fulfilled and this happened with other symbols (while I checked the currencies) - the Expert Advisor is properly tested and opens and closes transactions, etc., according to its built-in logic. How to solve this problem?

Figar0:

It doesn't make any sense to you, see on your fingers. There are 3 EAs that do not allow for losing trades:

1) Vasya has a megapipsator making 100 trades a month with 10 points of profit, expected payoff is 10;

2) Vano has an intraday Expert Advisor that trades 10 times a month with 100 points profit, the expected payoff is 100;

3) Moisha has an Expert Advisor that conducts one trade a month, but has 1000 points at once, the expected payoff is 1000;

And now a question: which of them (Vasya, Moisha, Vano) will be the first to save money for an island in the ocean, a 200 meters long yacht, and a beautiful wife?

It would be tempting, but wrong to treat conditional probabilities as logical consequences with an estimate of uncertainty.

The value of the beautiful wife is not explicitly defined in the problem. )))

Roman.:

Guys, can you advise... When testing an Expert Advisor on Alpari tool _SP500 (history downloaded) writes in "Log" - see red underline in the screenshot, something like: "margin changed level cannot be calculated". Deals in the tester are not opened, despite the fact that the conditions have been fulfilled and this happened with other symbols (while I checked the currencies) - the Expert Advisor is properly tested and opens and closes transactions, etc., according to its built-in logic. How to fix this issue?

On what account type is the test running?

Most likely, the test is not running because the tool is in the MARKET OVERVIEW, but it is not available for trading!

Almost all instruments with "_defix" - _DXY, _SP500, etc., present in the Market Watch of MT4 Alpari - are not available for trading. And the quotations on them are (if I am not mistaken) with a half-hour delay.

The server does not return the margin, MODE_TICKVALUE, MODE_TICKSIZE and other characteristics to these symbols.

It is clear that the tester will not open positions on these symbols! In the MARKET OVERVIEW window, they (as a rule) have pale gray colour, unlike all other symbols.

================

Switch mt4 to a real account and take instrument #ESZ1 there - this will be the index SP500 that you're looking for - i.e. its December futures contract. On most mt4 Alpari real account types, some commodity and stock futures are available for trading!

leonid553:

What account type is being tested?

Most likely, the test is not running because the instrument is in the MARKET OVERVIEW, but it is not available for trading!

Almost all instruments with the "hyphen _" - _DXY, _SP500, etc., present in the Market Watch of mt4 Alpari - are not available for trading. And their quotes (if I'm not mistaken) have a half-hour delay.

The server does not return margin, MODE_TICKVALUE, MODE_TICKSIZE and other characteristics to these symbols.

It is clear that the tester will not open positions by such symbols! In the window of MARKET OVERVIEW they (as a rule) have pale gray colour, unlike all other symbols.

I suppose that the reason is somewhat different.

Some instruments presented in the Market Watch do not work in the demo, but are available in real trading,

perhaps by a separate request for access/connection to the instrument.

==========

DhP, - I specifically enquired about this issue not too long ago with the AiPari tech support team. So, no doubt about it!

index and commodity futures are available in real trading there:

yosuf:
Someone experienced, I think Mathemat advised not less than 2 spreads with 0.1 lot, if profit in pips.

The MO is just a profit divided by the number of trades, whatever it is, for example on a real account if it is greater than zero, I won't give up a million trades at one tenth of the spread with the appropriate MO.

Also, the MO in the tester is not significant in itself, it is just a characteristic of the Expert Advisor, one of many, and for MT4 tester it should obviously be more than 2-5 spreads. But MO analysis in the tester without PF, FS, test validity, etc. will give absolutely nothing.

leonid553:

==========

DhP, - I specifically enquired about this issue not too long ago with the AiPari tech support team. So, no doubt about it!

in real trading there are index futures available:

Fair enough.

All instruments explicitly (boldly) marked in the Market Watch are available.

Faint instruments, including the _SP500, are not available for trading.

leonid553:

What account type is being tested?

Most likely, the test is not running because the instrument is in the MARKET OVERVIEW, but it is not available for trading!

Almost all instruments with "_defix" - _DXY, _SP500, etc., present in the Market Watch of mt4 Alpari - are not available for trading. And the quotations on them are (if I am not mistaken) with a half-hour delay.

The server does not return the margin, MODE_TICKVALUE, MODE_TICKSIZE and other characteristics to these symbols.

It is clear that the tester will not open positions on these symbols! In the MARKET OVERVIEW window, they (as a rule) have pale gray colour, unlike all other symbols.

================

Switch mt4 to a real account and take instrument #ESZ1 there - this will be the index SP500 that you're looking for - i.e. its December futures contract. On most mt4 Alpari real account types, some commodity and stock futures are available for trading!

Demo Classic.

Leonid, thank you very much for your very detailed and lucid answer. Now everything makes sense to me on this issue.

DhP:

Fair enough.

All instruments explicitly (boldly) identified in the Market Watch are available.

Faint instruments, including the _SP500, are not available for trading.

Thank you. I used to think it was a range of colours... :-))) Haven't traded them on the real...

Figar0:

The MO in the tester does not mean anything by itself either, it is just a characteristic of the Expert Advisor, one of many, and for an MT4 tester it should definitely be more than 2-5 spreads. But the analysis of MO in the tester without PF, FS, test validity, etc. will give absolutely nothing.

PF is the Profit Factor, I see. But what is PV? Is there any way to make the tester output these values as it outputs MO?

If I output the MO, profitability, number of trades, date, maximum drawdown, can you say something about the quality of the EA?

Reason: