Iron tips - page 4

I read somewhere recently that UPSs come in 2 types. Some, the cheaper ones, pass the input voltage to the output only slightly stabilising and switch to battery when it goes out altogether, others, naturally the more expensive ones, always organise the output via battery. The latter have no response time as they are always on standby. These, it seems to me, make up a complex of charger, battery and inverter. That might be the best option, expensive though (one more computer, I think) . If that doesn't work, I'll have to solder what to do. But you're right, I'm not much of an electronics guy.

Erm955:

I read somewhere recently that UPSs come in 2 types. Some, the cheaper ones, pass the input voltage to the output only slightly stabilising and switch to battery when it goes out altogether, others, naturally the more expensive ones, always organise the output via battery. The latter have no response time as they are always on standby. These, it seems to me, make up a complex of charger, battery and inverter. That might be the best option, expensive though (one more computer, I think) . If that doesn't work, I'll have to solder what to do. But you're right, I'm not much of an electronics guy.

By the way, since we are talking about soldering, after the power supply in the computer goes 12 and 4.5 V (on the motherboard may be some more, but it is not difficult to find out)
Isn't it easier to step it down to 12, and smoothen the voltage bypassing the computer PSU, or its step-down part.
Then there is no need to convert from DC to AC from the battery.

Only with the monitor may not work (not disassembled, do not know what's inside).

mrProF:
By the way, while we're on the subject of self-soldering, after the power supply in the computer goes 12 and 4.5 volts (the motherboard may have some more, but it's not hard to find out)
Wouldn't it be easier to step it down to 12, and feed the smoothed voltage through the computer PSU, or its step-down part.
Then there's no need to convert from DC to AC from the battery.
I used to be into electronics. It makes more sense to do it that way. But there are nuances, some ICs need a bipolar power supply, which means that to power the ICs you need a voltage source like +12V, -12V and a common zero (Ground).

gip:
Talented kid. Have you added the 9th point to your profile yet?
Sarcasm o_o?

sergey1294:
I used to be into electronics. It makes more sense to do so. But there are nuances. Some integrated circuits need bi-polar power supply, which means that to power the chip needs a voltage source for example +12V, -12V and a common zero (ground)
Hmmm, never seen before)))
Usually ~4.5 to 1, ~0-0.5 to 0 in digital.

I don't know about analogue ones.)

Laptop works from the battery, and the interior of the stationary, not too different))
Although the laptop battery outputs 6-8 pieces, who knows what it is there, except for temperature control and charge)))

mrProF:
Hmmm, never seen one before))
Usually ~4.5 to 1, ~0-0.5 to 0 for digital.

I don't know about the analogue ones ))

A laptop is battery operated and the innards are not too different from a desktop))

You're slightly confusing logic 1 = 4.5V - 1V and logic 0 = 0.5V - 0V is quite different.

sergey1294:
you're slightly confusing logic 1 voltage = 4.5V - 1V and logic zero 0 = 0.5V - 0V is quite different.

Well most of the chips I had had a supply voltage, around 5v, I haven't seen any others, so anything is possible :)

---Added---
Oh no, they were))
Well you can make a bipolar one, schematics abound.

mrProF:
Well most of the ICs I've had have a supply voltage of around 5V, I haven't seen any others, so anything is possible :)

Yes most ICs have +5V supply voltage, But some analogue and microprocessors require extra power.

If you're interested you can read about some of the chips here. http://digital.sibsutis.ru/digital/DefDigCh.htm

I'll have to build the original power supply. Once I get started, I'll get one thing, another... protection, decoupling, and I'll be an electronic engineer in no time. I'm not inspired. Why is it that all home appliances (TV, gas boiler, all imported) can withstand such surges with ease, but the computer is such a softy?

mrProF:

Well most of the chips? that I had, had a supply voltage, around 5v, haven't seen any others, so anything is possible :)

---Added---
Oh no, they were))
Well, you could make it bi-polar, schematics abound.

The Internet is full of circuits. If you go to some radio amateur forum, they might be able to bake you a circuit that would make your UPS cooler than some store-bought ones.
Reason: