Windows Updates Making Purchased Indicators Stop Working

Hi there, this is very annoying.

I already have wasted around 3 activations of each of my indicators in the last couple of months due to windows updates.

When there is a cumulative update or an update to a newer version, when you launch MT4 or MT5, all your purchased indicators are grayed out and not working, you are forced to waste activations to reinstall them.

I can´t believe metaquotes still haven´t addressed this issue, what are we supposed to do when we run out of activations because of this bug?

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Windows update made me lose my activations

Eleni Anna Branou, 2020.07.20 14:14

The extra activations are credited on a universal timing for all MQL5 members together, not at a personal level.

As I remember it was in 6th of June when the activations were added: Windows 10 May 2020 Update (version 2004) released - activations for purchased Market products added
Windows 10 May 2020 Update (version 2004) released - activations for purchased Market products added
Windows 10 May 2020 Update (version 2004) released - activations for purchased Market products added
  • www.mql5.com
On May 27, Microsoft officially released a major update of their operating system — Windows 10 May 2020 Update (version 2004...

@Sergey Golubev

But when?

There is a already a new update for Windows, version 20H2. When I turn off my PC it will automatically install it, then again gonna lose one more activation... 

I already have 2 activations left out of 5 of one of my main indicators, 2 activations lost to this bug and so far I was not credited any extra ones.

beto_gauer:

But when?

I do not know (how can I know?).
We are the forum users, and we do not know when the additional activations will be added for everybody in the next time.
I just provided the information which I know and which I found on the forum related to this subject.

What I want to know is when they are gonna fix that.

beto_gauer:
What I want to know is when they are gonna fix that.

It is not a bug (MQ already explained it).
And I have no idea about when the additional activations will be added to everybody.
I have purchased products as well but I am still have activations for them (and I am on Windows 10 too).

You can ask the service desk (or, at least, inform/remind them about it).

Sergey Golubev:

It is not a bug (MQ already explained it).
And I have no idea about when the additional activations will be added to everybody.
I have purchased products as well but I am still have activations for them (and I am on Windows 10 too).

You can ask the service desk (or, at least, inform/remind them about it).

It's definitely a bug  (an explanation by MQ of a poor system does not remove the flaw in the design)

If you purchase a product just before a windows Update and install on 3 computers then you'll be left with 2 activations for those 3 computers after the Windows update a few days later

Metaquotes have known about this for years, but just choose not to resolve the issue for a few unfortunate users

The only solution for these users is to wait till the next activation "drop" in a few months, which is not really a proper solution

James Cater:

It's definitely a bug  (an explanation by MQ of a poor system does not remove the flaw in the design)

If you purchase a product just before a windows Update and install on 3 computers then you'll be left with just 2 activations available for those 3 computers after the Windows update a few days later

Metaquotes have known about this for years, but just choose not to resolve the issue for a few unfortunate users

The only solution for these users is to wait till the next activation "drop" in a few months, which is not really a proper solution

As MetaQuotes stated - some Windows 10 key updates look like the independent Operations System installation.
So, it is impossible to be fixed.

Read this thread where I collected the replies of admins about it: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/359644 

---------------- 

As I see - you are the seller validated by Metaquotes:

.. an explanation by MQ of a poor system does not remove the flaw in the design ..

And you are providing 5 or 6 activations .. not more? ...
Provide more activations to your future possible customers and it will be less complaints about it.

---------------- 

I hope - MetaQuotes will invent some decision in the future concerning Windows 10 key updates. But commercial sellers (validated by MetaQuotes) should be more responsibly concerning anything related to their selling and their number of activations proposed.

need help
need help
  • www.mql5.com
my indicator stop working So I remove and Can't not install its said no activate. may be because of window update...

Sergey Golubev:

As MetaQuotes stated - some Windows 10 key updates look like the independent Operations System installation.
So, it is impossible to be fixed.

It may well be impossible to fix the current design

However there are designs that Metaquotes could implement that would resolve this issue.

Take a look at the system used by Malwarebytes, where user activations are tied to named machines and stored by Malwarebytes in a central database.

These activations can be transferred between machines when required.

So it is possible to implement a more robust licensing scheme

Maybe a combination of activated executables that are validated regularly against a central database of user/machines would be a better solution

Reason: