Improvements propositions for the next MT5 version

Hi

MT5 is one of the best if not THE best trading tool on the planet. But through the years, i've collected some possible improvements that could be made to the already amazing platform

If you have propositions, please post them here.

1) possibility to save several setfiles within the code, and name them, rather than the old fashioned setfiles, and select them from the indicator window. Also settings should be saved within the EX4, and accessible easily that way. And possibility to save sets specific to timeframes

2) possibility to set the last date of a chart to any date possible instead of the most recent one (to test indis in a selected period in the past without computing all the bars)

3) possibility to set the previously used settings of an indi/EA without saving settings in a file each time (a simple "previous set" button) : otherwise trial and error of fitting EAs/indis is a pain in the butt

4) possibility to minimize MT5 when the indicator window is open (very annoying)

5) possibility to interact with the chart, when the indicator or expert window is opened (also annoying).

6) have a messageBox that don't halt Metatrader processes. Otherwise it defeats the purpose and make it unusable.

7) possibility to set a spread of 0 (only a spread of 1 is possible right now) (to test only the edge, not for real trading situation obviously)

8) possibility to zoom out more than possible now. If you trade very "slowly" on a TF you don't get the full spectrum right now, the zoom is not deep enough.

thanks, Jeff

I see value in points 1,2,3,6, and 8.
So i add +1 for those. 

I would add:

Possibility to see calendar time or normal time. 
With empty bars where trading doesn't happen. 
On 1d timeframe, we would see empty bars in weekends and holidays. 

More info about the range, when measuring with the crosshair tool: volume of the range, number of time periods (calendar time). 
Ideally it would be great if we could have access to edit that info programmatically. 

Multiple click points for scripts, not just one click point when we drop the script on chart. 
For example, it would be easy to draw a sequence of 4 lines if the script could "wait" for 5 clicked points on chart. 
This feature would bring lots of flexibility for scripts. 

also for 1), the possibility to retrieve the setfile name in the EA. it could be useful if we're creating backtests within an indicator and want to present the data nicely with the setfile name.

what would be also excellent is to be able to run a strategy in the background and trade the strategy in real only when some requirements are met (like low DD, high hitrate, equity growing or above a limit, etc)

this can be done in an EA or an indi yes, but it's just that it's a lot of work, because you have to simulate every part of the strategy (Ts, TP, SL, etc) virtually and it's quite hard actually.

it would be easier with a mode that allows background virtual trading EAs and indis automatically and keeps track of the equity, drawdown, etc.

if you could do that that would be amazing

Jeff

ok i'm using MT5 now and there are a few more features I think would greatly improve MT5

1) show order/deals list when backtest is stopped before the end

very annoying right now because it doesn't show anything if you stop backtesting early for some reason but still want to know about an order.

2) possibility to detect which backtest type (OpenPrice, tick, ticks based on history, etc)

can be useful if your EA behaves differently in Open Price or Tick backtest.

let me know if these are good ideas

Jeff

another request : possbility to retrieve ask and bid data, but for open bars only, without having to download all the ticks.

a faster way to get ask and bid value than using all ticks

that would be awesome

thanks

ok so here are my latest requests (I hope i'm not too annoying).

I switched to MT5 recently and there are a lot of things that are different and maybe not that best

1) In the MetaEditor, when you search for a term and the term ins't found, it closes the search window and resets the input terms.

This is really annoying and I don't understand this behaviour : you often wanna search for a term and change one character, but this is not possible anymore. You need to copy the term, search it, if it is not found, paste it, then modify the character. This is painful

2) it should be easier to select which type of spread you want for your backtest :

for now, it depends on the backtest type (Ticks, Ticks based on history, Open prices) and if you selected a fixed spread or not.

But it could be easier and more powerful :

First : select backtest type (Ticks, Ticks based on history, Open prices, 1 min OHLC, etc)

Second : select spread type (real, synthetic, fixed) and this for any type of backtest. And that's it.

Simple, yet powerful, gives you all the options possible, and an easy fix I

for instance right now, it is not possible to make a backtest in open prices with real spread. why ? only synthetic spread is available

it could be much simpler and straightforward and unite all the different types of backtest under one roof.

3) create indicator handles on the fly : AFAIK it is not possible right now.

for instance you wanna create an adaptive MA that uses simple MA, and vary only the Period, you need to create handles to every possible Period  in the Init function, then use a different handle in the BufferCopy function.

This is not really effective.

I tried to create a handle on the fly with variable period and it returned 0 as a MA value. But maybe I did something wrong here, not sure

thanks so much

Jeff

Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Indicator Constants / Indicator Types
Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Indicator Constants / Indicator Types
  • www.mql5.com
Indicator Types - Indicator Constants - Constants, Enumerations and Structures - MQL5 Reference - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5

Jean Francois Le Bas:

ok i'm using MT5 now and there are a few more features I think would greatly improve MT5

1) show order/deals list when backtest is stopped before the end

very annoying right now because it doesn't show anything if you stop backtesting early for some reason but still want to know about an order.

2) possibility to detect which backtest type (OpenPrice, tick, ticks based on history, etc)

can be useful if your EA behaves differently in Open Price or Tick backtest.

let me know if these are good ideas

Jeff

The second point is a must, to have an API for the Strategy Tester. Currently it can only be done with workaround.

Jean Francois Le Bas:

another request : possbility to retrieve ask and bid data, but for open bars only, without having to download all the ticks.

a faster way to get ask and bid value than using all ticks

that would be awesome

thanks

You will never have that directly from Metaquotes, it's specific need. They provide all what is needed for you to code it yourself if you want. Just build a library to do it.

Jean Francois Le Bas:

ok so here are my latest requests (I hope i'm not too annoying).

I switched to MT5 recently and there are a lot of things that are different and maybe not that best

1) In the MetaEditor, when you search for a term and the term ins't found, it closes the search window and resets the input terms.

This is really annoying and I don't understand this behaviour : you often wanna search for a term and change one character, but this is not possible anymore. You need to copy the term, search it, if it is not found, paste it, then modify the character. This is painful

I really don't see what the problem is ? I am using MetaEditor daily for numerous hours.

2) it should be easier to select which type of spread you want for your backtest :

for now, it depends on the backtest type (Ticks, Ticks based on history, Open prices) and if you selected a fixed spread or not.

Huh ? You can't select the spread, what I am missing here ?

But it could be easier and more powerful :

First : select backtest type (Ticks, Ticks based on history, Open prices, 1 min OHLC, etc)

Second : select spread type (real, synthetic, fixed) and this for any type of backtest. And that's it.

Simple, yet powerful, gives you all the options possible, and an easy fix I

for instance right now, it is not possible to make a backtest in open prices with real spread. why ? only synthetic spread is available

Because it doesn't make sense.

it could be much simpler and straightforward and unite all the different types of backtest under one roof.

I strongly doubt you will ever have any changes on this. And actually I don't understand why you would need one. With a custom symbol you can do all you want.

3) create indicator handles on the fly : AFAIK it is not possible right now.

for instance you wanna create an adaptive MA that uses simple MA, and vary only the Period, you need to create handles to every possible Period  in the Init function, then use a different handle in the BufferCopy function.

This is not really effective.

I tried to create a handle on the fly with variable period and it returned 0 as a MA value. But maybe I did something wrong here, not sure

You can already do that without any problem. Maybe it's "annoying" but it's how it works, don't hope they will change their architecture for you convenience ;-)

If you want 1 handle with a customizable MA period, build your custom version of the indicator which can change it's period dynamically, receiving the values from one of the numerous available method (Global Variable to name just one simple).

All my answers are meant to help you, don't hope or wait Metaquotes, believe me they don't care about you and your ideas ;-)

Alain Verleyen:
1) I really don't see what the problem is ? I am using MetaEditor daily for numerous hours.

2) Huh ? You can't select the spread, what I am missing here ?

Because it doesn't make sense.

3)I strongly doubt you will ever have any changes on this. And actually I don't understand why you would need one. With a custom symbol you can do all you want.

You can already do that without any problem. Maybe it's "annoying" but it's how it works, don't hope they will change their architecture for you convenience ;-)

If you want 1 handle with a customizable MA period, build your custom version of the indicator which can change it's period dynamically, receiving the values from one of the numerous available method (Global Variable to name just one simple).

5) All my answers are meant to help you, don't hope or wait Metaquotes, believe me they don't care about you and your ideas ;-)

1) well let's say you wanna search for "OrderSymbol" and you simply type "Symbol", but you selected "match whole word only", it will return zero results : it will then close the search window, and will reset the input text !

so when you realize your mistake, you have to repoen the search window, and remember the search term (not so easy if it's a complex one), and figure out why it didn't find result, if it is because the text hasn't been found or for other reasons?

Or simply if you want to search something and it is not in the code, the search window will close and your search input will be reset. Why? this is so painful

In MT4 there is not that hassle : if you search something that isn't in the code, there is a simple popup window. That's it. Nothing is closed or reset.

2) you cannot select real spread with open price backtest. It will be the synthetic spread.

If you got an EA that trades only on close prices, and you wanna speed up the backtest, but still retain the real spread for precision purposes, you cannot. You have to process all ticks in "ticks based on history" mode and trade only on new bar. Many ticks processed for nothing and not as fast as in open price backtest. not really convenient

3) ok i'll look into it.

4) and if you don't have access to the indicator code ? Of course there is always the "code it yourself" way of doing things : no real spread in backtest ? no problem gather real ticks data in a text file and import it in your EA ! easy !

NO

NOT easy, but painful and slow.

It's all a matter of speed, power and convenience : how many hours will you spend implementing a library that imports tick data ?

whereas if it's built in in MT5 (as it is now) it's convenient, easy, fast, you don't have to fear about bugs, etc, it's easy to gather the data for each broker, you don't have to spend 10 days gathering tick data if you change broker, etc

so no that's not a solution

processing time is everything believe me

5) hopefully it's just a fantasy of yours, and they're not like that. :)
Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Indicator Constants / Price Constants
Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Indicator Constants / Price Constants
  • www.mql5.com
Price Constants - Indicator Constants - Constants, Enumerations and Structures - MQL5 Reference - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5
Reason: