Issue with delays between MT5 and broker server

I have an issue which is as follows:

When price changes increase in frequency (not super busy just busy), my trade instructions can take up to 12 seconds to be acknowledged by the brokers server.

If I run the Web terminal at the same time I can see that my trade gets done in around 40ms  but takes 12000ms to update my terminal. I also note that the pricing is lagging behind the web terminal by a few seconds as well.

This means that the price feed to the terminal that I am taking actions from is out of date... and I am left wondering if my trade has been executed until it finally updates.

Before you say my internet or PC....

I have a very fast 16GB RAM, Solid State Disk, dedicated PC.

I run only three charts with one low impact too loaded.

It seems to me that the brokers servers that send out the prices and trade confirmations is not coping, but they assure me it is.

So my question is:    Is anybody else having this issue now or in the past?

You can use MQL5 VPS for MT4/MT5, or change the broker.

About MQL5 VPS (I collected some posts) -

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

There Problem in My Server mql5 In ( ms ) !!

Fernando Carreiro, 2018.11.03 13:22

Please don't mix up your concepts. 2ms may be for the Ping response time, or in other words, the latency of the network communication.

However, there is much more that the server has to do besides the network response, and it all depends on the type of market, the symbol being used, the volatility of the market or the amount of traffic at the time.

However, your values of 60-100ms seem totally normal when including the time required for order processing.

and this post was made by admin -

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

There Problem in My Server mql5 In ( ms ) !!

Aytugan Khafizov, 2018.11.04 20:17

This is exactly what's happened.

Ping is a time which take a packed from VPS server reach to Broker's server.

Better ping means better execution.

BUT in addition to ping time, broker need some time to execute your order. ~50 ms is normal execution time for MT4 systems.

If you want more speed - find MT5 brokers, as MT5 has around 1-2 ms internal latency.

Virtual hosting for MetaTrader 5
  • www.mql5.com
Virtual hosting for MetaTrader 4/5 is the best VPS solution for Forex. It is cheap, it requires no configuration and it features minimum delays to the server. For only 15 USD per month, you obtain a virtual platform that works around the clock, saves your profit and pays off. Create a remote copy of the application directly from the...

And you can read this thread ( VPS comparison test. Testresults still show 20-30msec missing) where the user made a technical comparison test related to Metatrader to the broker's server using his home computers, 3rd party VPS and MQL5 VPS (and there is no any delay as you described on your first post sorry).
VPS comparison test. Testresults still show 20-30msec missing
VPS comparison test. Testresults still show 20-30msec missing
  • www.mql5.com
Hello, Which superbrainer knows the answer? MT4 EA bot which open/closes trade and measures execution time. Tried 3 topbrand VPS servers...

Paul Anscombe:

When price changes increase in frequency (not super busy just busy), my trade instructions can take up to 12 seconds to be acknowledged by the brokers server.

If I run the Web terminal at the same time I can see that my trade gets done in around 40ms  but takes 12000ms to update my terminal. I also note that the pricing is lagging behind the web terminal by a few seconds as well.

This means that the price feed to the terminal that I am taking actions from is out of date... and I am left wondering if my trade has been executed until it finally updates.

It seems to me that the brokers servers that send out the prices and trade confirmations is not coping, but they assure me it is.

This is not a computer but a network issue, so if its an EA or a signal you are trading with, use MQL5 VPS as Sergey very well pointed out.

Eleni Anna Branou:

This is not a computer but a network issue, so if its an EA or a signal you are trading with, use MQL5 VPS as Sergey very well pointed out.

You are being too quick to jump to a VPS...  it is unlikely a network issue either as my link to the broker is 22ms  and they process my trades in around 4ms

the issue is the information back to the terminal to confirm trades and provide prices,  it is most likely something in the MT5 servers that handle that part. 

Hence I was asking if anybody else had had such problems... and there i no reason to think a VPS will resolve the issue.  

and it is not a signal or an EA  it is straight forward trading.

• www.mql5.com
Virtual hosting for MetaTrader 4/5 is the best VPS solution for Forex. It is cheap, it requires no configuration and it features minimum delays to the server. For only 15 USD per month, you obtain a virtual platform that works around the clock, saves your profit and pays off. Create a remote copy of the application directly from the...

Paul Anscombe:   it is most likely something in the MT5 servers that handle that part.
Metaquotes is not a broker. Open a demo account with a real broker.

William Roeder:
Metaquotes is not a broker. Open a demo account with a real broker.

seriously the dismissive, know it all attitude from you regular respondents is really crap.....

who said anything about Metquotes being a broker? answer nobody....

how the f*  is opening a demo account going to help?  answer it is not...

yes brokers have MT5 servers did you not know that? it does not mean I am talking about Metaquotes.....

Paul Anscombe:

I don't have or had this issue. However I am curious and would like to help.

The Web terminal is running on the same computer as MT5 terminal right ? Could you explain how you get these numbers of 40 ms and 12000 ms ? Also, just to be 100% sure, by Web terminal you mean the one you can find on this site right ?

Because a terminal, web or desktop, needs an answer from the server in any case, so if your numbers are correct, it excludes a server issue, and rather shows an MT5 terminal (desktop) issue. Which MT5 build are you using ?

Paul Anscombe: yes brokers have MT5 servers did you not know that? it does not mean I am talking about Metaquotes.....

That is what you said. You didn't say broker's server:

Paul Anscombe: it is most likely something in the MT5 servers that handle that part.
You weren't talking about VPS
Paul Anscombe: and there i no reason to think a VPS will resolve the issue.  

Paul Anscombe:

You are being too quick to jump to a VPS...  it is unlikely a network issue either as my link to the broker is 22ms  and they process my trades in around 4ms

the issue is the information back to the terminal to confirm trades and provide prices,  it is most likely something in the MT5 servers that handle that part. 

Hence I was asking if anybody else had had such problems... and there i no reason to think a VPS will resolve the issue.  

Your 22ms link to your broker doesn't mean anything, in times of high volatility the response time for manual trades increases and that is a fact.

I myself have a similar ping time with my broker, but during high impact news a manual trade takes seconds to be executed, so the problem is delay in terminal - broker communication when the broker/servers are busy and lack of liquidity in the broker side in order to fulfill your trade.

Also a better attitude from your part would help to attract some help around here.

Alain Verleyen:

I don't have or had this issue. However I am curious and would like to help.

The Web terminal is running on the same computer as MT5 terminal right ? Could you explain how you get these numbers of 40 ms and 12000 ms ? Also, just to be 100% sure, by Web terminal you mean the one you can find on this site right ?

Because a terminal, web or desktop, needs an answer from the server in any case, so if your numbers are correct, it excludes a server issue, and rather shows an MT5 terminal (desktop) issue. Which MT5 build are you using ?

Hi Alain

The overall response time is available in the journal entries it measures the elapsed time from the terminal sending the request to the response being received. When the issues are not occurring this total elapse is normally around 32-40ms, when I have the issue it shoots up to 8000-12000ms ie: 8-12 seconds.  I have seen the matching journals from the broker and their processing time for the trades is about 4ms into the market and even when I have the issues there seems to be no extra delay in the request getting to their server and them processing it. The delay is in the return leg to my terminal or my terminal handling it.

The web terminal link for MT5 is available via my brokers web site and is just the standard MT5 web version, there are no delays on that platform even when I submit the trade via the MT5 Terminal on my PC, and yes I access it via Chrome from the same PC.

It all seems to point to the brokers servers and handling of the return messages and price feed, somehow I suspect that is getting slowed at times although they say not. 

They have suggested that the MT5 PC client is not very good handling lots of data, but I would point out that it does not need to be very volatile at all for this to occur. They have suggested I try the MT4 to see if I get the same issue as it uses different servers, but that in itself brings in other factors, although I will try it. 

I asked on here in case anybody had had the issue and resolved it, are there caches that could be cleared on MT5? is anti-virus something that may impact? are there certain ports that could be opened on my firewall to speed traffic? etc.

My build version is  v5 build 2361

thanks for your interest and any thoughts that you may have.

Reason: