Can't get tester module working! please help !

Hello,

Sorry to post this question here but I am so disappointed with this metatrader 4 application:

I have read all article that I could find on the tester module and am trying to just do backtest of an expert advisor, for example the demonstration code

MACD sample.

I have first downloaded EURUSD data

and then open the tester module and set EURUSD as currency.

then I start simulation and always get error 131 in the journal.

No significant figures in the report windows as well..

It seems that the EA is trying to place order instead of doing any simulation on historical data ??

I am doing something wrong ?

sorry to ask those basic questions but I don't see why it is so complicated to doing something simple like a backtest...

thank you for any help !!!

There are two places in Metatrader to check autotrading.

We have some good posts about it:

- good post of cucurucu.

- Can't you autotrade?

- Learning to code for autotrading.

- Trading with Metatrader.

- mql4 manual.

- how to start with MetaTrader https://www.mql5.com/en/forum

Thank you very much Newdigital,

Once again I have read all links and applied advice carrefully by checking/all checking evry possible option of dialog box but it still doesn't work.

I guess it is due to limitation of the paid version..

that's too bad this metratrader program was looking great.

thank again anyway

arsneufe:
Thank you very much Newdigital,

Once again I have read all links and applied advice carrefully by checking/all checking evry possible option of dialog box but it still doesn't work.

I guess it is due to limitation of the paid version..

that's too bad this metratrader program was looking great.

thank again anyway

Metatrader4 is free and MACD sample EA is free as well.

Check autotrading (two places to check). Besides check the data to have enough for backtesting. And check the journal and logs (it should be written something like "no data for testing" or something different).

Error code 131 is documented to mean "invalid trade volume".

Which trade volume do you attempt to use?

Yes, please share your trade volume here, im having similar problems..

hello everybody,

great Ralph , you found the explanation for this error code (i could not find this),

ok so i am using the basic data downloaded from metatrader

built-in features.. what to say for me the volume info is what it is maybe the macd demo EA is trying to buy too much lots with 10000 USD ?

I will now try EA on downloaded data as recommanded on the article

(http://www.metatrader.info/node/67)

..and will let you know.

Error 131 driving me crazy too

this error 131 problem (on strategy tester only) must be a bug and it is very annoying. For some reason some days ago from one moment to the other I was no longer able to run any backtests.

Error 131 (means invalid trading volume) occurs very often in the Journal, some other EAs dont give any action and the results tab remains blank.

I read in an other forum that one guy fixed this in a strange way. He had to wait, until some ticks came in on demo account and then error 131 on strategytester disappeared.

I could get rid of this for a short time but not with a clean install, what was my hope. I deleted and renewed all history data, like in those descriptions for 90% modelling quality, deleted all accounts and could could run backtests again after this.

But only for one day then the error was back and I repeated the procedure and ......... I could run one single backtest and the error was back.

It also seems to spread over the harddisk to other MT-Installations.

does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Bluehippo

(Good tea is better value)

Aaargh !! you too bluehippo,

I am not the only poor guy in the world that can't simply run MT4

I just don't understand how so many people are discussing how to run backtest

as the very simple test of this software doesn't work..

problem solved ?

Tho problem seems to be that my Demo-Installation (from Neuimex) did no longer accept 0.01 steps in lotsize.

So most EAs which use MM are affected.

When I pay attention to this I can run backtests further, using bigger balance.

I figured out that there are also some possibilities with deleting Demo-Accounts and some .raw files in the history folder. But I don't bother doing so any longer and use IBFX-Trader as alternative.

Hope this helps

"Invalid trade volume" will show if you try to place a trade using a lotsize the broker doesn't accept. For example, some brokers will not accept lotsizes less than 0.1. This error is unrelated to the backtester as such and would also show up in forward testing or in a live account.

Reason: