OK .... I know I'm an idiot

I admit it, I'm obviously missing something.

I'm a UK trader, using MetaTrader4 for visuals, but using IGIndex for the actual business.

I'm playing with MetaTrader features, and thought I would look at what the Expert Advisors have to offer.

I've scoured the net, found heaps of sites discussing Expert Advisors, but they all have one thing in common ..... they all seem to expect you to know how to use them. How do you get started?

I've loaded CyberiaTrader, and got a little smiley face in the corner of the chart .... but that's it? What am I supposed to do with a smiley face?

I suggest you to look at www.mql4.com and www.metaquotes.com

sorry, not www.metaquotes.com, but www.metaquotes.ru

Look at the MT4 built-in help as well.

FutureMillionaire?:
I admit it, I'm obviously missing something.

I'm a UK trader, using MetaTrader4 for visuals, but using IGIndex for the actual business.

I'm playing with MetaTrader features, and thought I would look at what the Expert Advisors have to offer.

I've scoured the net, found heaps of sites discussing Expert Advisors, but they all have one thing in common ..... they all seem to expect you to know how to use them. How do you get started?

I've loaded CyberiaTrader, and got a little smiley face in the corner of the chart .... but that's it? What am I supposed to do with a smiley face?

Yes, that is it, now just wait for money.

I've had a bit of success. I managed to run Cyberia historically, using the strategy tester. It showed that, starting with 10,000 (whatever your currency is), at the end of one month, you would have 232,229.38 !!!

It sounds wonderful BUT .... and this is a BIG BUT. I noticed that most of the successful trades were just 1,2 or 3 pips. When you take out your 3 pip spread, most trades lose.

I found that, running through the same trades, minus the 3 pips, you lose in the end.

...... or am I missing something?

Is there anyway of making it only consider trades with a larger expected margin?

FutureMillionaire?:
I've had a bit of success. I managed to run Cyberia historically, using the strategy tester. It showed that, starting with 10,000 (whatever your currency is), at the end of one month, you would have 232,229.38 !!!

It sounds wonderful BUT .... and this is a BIG BUT. I noticed that most of the successful trades were just 1,2 or 3 pips. When you take out your 3 pip spread, most trades lose.

I found that, running through the same trades, minus the 3 pips, you lose in the end.

...... or am I missing something?

Is there anyway of making it only consider trades with a larger expected margin?

the spread is already calculated.

I sugest you read the "great ea in back test" thread all the way through. In there you'll find every thing you need to know about CT and how to back test properly. There are alot of different versions posted there. some origonal and some modified. You have to test and chose wich one works best for you and your broker.

Learning to use EA's is just that "learning" It takes time to get it all down. And you need to have some understanding of how the market works too. In order to properly set up the settings in any given EA for the pairs your using and account size and broker.

there are some good ea's in this forum depending on account size and desired results. The bigger your account size, the better off you are in any EA. Keep position size very small untill you see that its working the way you want on real money.

edit: as for the profit on CT...it determines an exit based on current price movement. On a 1hr chart profits will be from 5-12 pips.

Dave

OK, thanks for that. I shall go and have a read ... although, at the moment, I can't see how spread is already calculated, when the entry and exit price is there ... showing just a few pips between them.

Anyway ... we shall see.

OK, I've re-tested it on H1. Yes, it shows promise.

I noticed that when running the strategy tester, it was some time before it started giving signals. Now, when running in real time, there's nothing. Do I have to wait a given period ... or is there a way to force it to go back and gather the necessary data?

Woooah! There's an awful lot to wade through.

I must confess I haven't read it all, but I still have the same problem ... the assumption seems to be that you know how to use EAs.

I've got the smiley face on my GBPUSD H1, but nothing's happening.

I know this is designed for auto trading, but presumably it'll still give the signals (I've ticked "Ask manual confirmation). I only have a demo account with MT4, I do the real business with IGIndex. How does that work with EAs?

Also, there's a lot of talk about different versions of CyberiaTrader. How do I know which one I've got?

I hope someone can get me ontrack

FutureMillionaire?:
Woooah! There's an awful lot to wade through.

I must confess I haven't read it all, but I still have the same problem ... the assumption seems to be that you know how to use EAs.

I've got the smiley face on my GBPUSD H1, but nothing's happening.

I know this is designed for auto trading, but presumably it'll still give the signals (I've ticked "Ask manual confirmation). I only have a demo account with MT4, I do the real business with IGIndex. How does that work with EAs?

Also, there's a lot of talk about different versions of CyberiaTrader. How do I know which one I've got?

I hope someone can get me ontrack

----------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

Members of this forum are really helpful.

Before bombarding your questions here, Only thing you need to do is your home work first.

You are talking as if money is flowing on the river!

My sincere advice is, try to spend some time to understand the basics.

Sincerely,

rswamy4449

rswamy4449:
----------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

Members of this forum are really helpful.

Before bombarding your questions here, Only thing you need to do is your home work first.

You are talking as if money is flowing on the river!

My sincere advice is, try to spend some time to understand the basics.

Sincerely,

rswamy4449

exactly...

this is the 4th thread on cyberia trader. "real ea for real account" "great ea in back tests" "cyberia trader open sorce" and now this one.

When I found CT I was an EA noobie. I never messed with them befor.

95% of my learning curve was reading and doing my own testing on the different versions available.

I found what works for me. But with CT (like I said befor) you have to test and see what works for "you" and "your broker".

Test, test and more test. You won't find an EA that you can down load, run, and suddenly your making money.

"all this is in the threads" but the ea can take 1-3 trades a day or it can go a week with no trades. Depending on the settings and time chart.

All the information is in the threads. If you read all of "great ea in backtests" you'll see me answer the same questions over and over again. Then you'll see where I left the thread because of that reason.

I sugest start off by testing the 1.85f version recomended by FXspeedster(he is one of the origonal developers). You can put that on a 1 hr chart with default settings and then adjust to your liking based on the information you've read about.

if you want to see alot of trades put it on a m1 chart.

Dave

Reason: