XP Moving Average! - page 28

Repaints! What does it mean?

dgo1:
Hi guys. I only found XPMA yesterday and I think it is definitely a useful indicator. Great job Codersguru! I just have one question, and I'm sorry if this has been asked before many times but I just didn't fancy going through 27 pages. Does the indicator repaint the past or is it 100% accurate as to what it would have really done? Because if it doesn't repaint it looks awesome. Thanks for any help

dgo,

To give you an accurate answer, I need an accurate definition of the word "Repaints"!

Hi Codersguru, I am just looking back (mostly using 4H timeframe) through charts of the last few weeks using XPMA and it seems that if I would have followed the UP and DOWN signals from XPMA I could have made quite a few pips! I am just trying to verify that the signals that are visible on past charts would definitely have appeared at the same time if trading live using XPMA.

I've seen that some people say that some indicators 'repaint' themselves on past charts and make the indicator look better on past performance than it actually is.

Sorry if I'm not making my question clear!

Repaints! What does it mean?

dgo1:
Hi Codersguru, I am just looking back (mostly using 4H timeframe) through charts of the last few weeks using XPMA and it seems that if I would have followed the UP and DOWN signals from XPMA I could have made quite a few pips! I am just trying to verify that the signals that are visible on past charts would definitely have appeared at the same time if trading live using XPMA.

I've seen that some people say that some indicators 'repaint' themselves on past charts and make the indicator look better on past performance than it actually is.

Sorry if I'm not making my question clear!

Well,

The "Repaint" means to me one of two things "I think the xpMA doesn't make one of them" :

• Using '-1' bar:
    The '-1' bar is the one bar in the future. For the history data the -1 bar is always presented because the future in the history is available( I hope it's clear). So you see these kinds of indicators have a very good history signals but they are "useless" for the current bar or live trading!
  • Repainting what the indicator has already repainted:
Some of indicator repaint the history by changing their minds about the previous repainted signals. And this is very dangerous thing and must lead to LOSS. Assume that the indicator give you a BUY signal and 5 minutes later he clear the arrow and said "I'm so sorry! I'm repainting !

Thanks a lot CG that's what I wanted to know

mikejody:
FXNewbie, I too have been following your posts all the way through and am very interested in your findings.

Could you please post the "rules as clear and mechanical as I can" here in the forum instead of just a PM to codersguru, so that we can possibly enter into the testing with you?

Thank you again.

Mike

Hi Mikejody !!

Tks. for your words, too !

Of course you will be in the test if you want. Most of my rules are in this thread. However, i realize that is very hard to write all aspects of it in order to be mechanical, specially when i have to re-enter a trade. I realize too that some indicators i use are redundant, only used to be shure of the trade and confirm visually. Xpma_V2 is the main indicator.

Now I am working hard back testing and fine-tunning a mechanical set up that match most of my trade, but simplifing it. Its a very hard work and time consuming, but the results of my manual backtesting so far are very good. I stop trading to finish the work.

I just want to be shure that the ea i will ask to Codersguru will not be a waste of time, but a very good one. Maybe we can win the next champonship ??? hehehe

Decema

What about adding DECEMA (igord version) as an option?

Xpma sound

how do you change the sound alert for a different sound on the xpma indicator also for it to sound more than once..thanks

codersguru

Please can you give me the exact sentence to get the buy and sell signal of this indicator from inside an EA ?

I experimented too many combinations of icustom without luck.

You are rigth !!!

codersguru:
What about adding DECEMA (igord version) as an option?

Hi Codersguru !!!

I am working hard to find the best set-up for the ea. I have tried the DECEMA and in certain market conditions it works like magic, specially in exits, the most difficult part of the trade. But sometimes, it gives me terribles whipsaws.

Anyway, i think i have the solution for that problem !!!! Please let me check and backtest a little more and find the way to set clear rules to automate the trade.

Tks. a lot !!!!

fxnewbie:
Hi Codersguru !!!

I am working hard to find the best set-up for the ea. I have tried the DECEMA and in certain market conditions it works like magic, specially in exits, the most difficult part of the trade. But sometimes, it gives me terribles whipsaws.

Anyway, i think i have the solution for that problem !!!! Please let me check and backtest a little more and find the way to set clear rules to automate the trade.

Tks. a lot !!!!

Hi fxnewbie,

Hope you best luck with the system! I'm sure it'll be a great one!

Please keep us updated!

Reason: