Volatility Quality Index - page 36

Non Repainting Volatility Quality (VQ)

Hello to All,

Does anyone have non repainting Volatility Quality (VQ) metatrader indicator or someone could code a non repainting version of VQ. It would be a good indicator if someone can code.

Thanks in advance

Thanks to great work of raff1410, it seems that people have forgotten what was Volatility quality index all about in the original. According to Thomas Stridsman original there were two more lines in the indicator : a short (fast) moving average and a long (slow) moving average. In combination of the 3 lines one finds the entries, and not in color changes as it was taken for granted after raff's addition of pre-price smoothing and filter.

Here is one that could help in that direction. Raff's price smoothing and filter is kept (since he obviously succeeded in making the indicator better) but it also has the original averages too. If one would like to have the "raw" Stridman's indicator than PriceSmoothingand Filtershould be set to less than 2.

PS: Decided to attach the non repainting one too (the one with "nrp" in its name)

PPS: to turn averages off, set MA1Periodor MA2Periodto less than 2

mladen,

Very nice to have a fresh look at these.

I will be studying your code.

mladen:
Thanks to great work of raff1410, it seems that people have forgotten what was Volatility quality index all about in the original. According to Thomas Stridsman original there were two more lines in the indicator : a short (fast) moving average and a long (slow) moving average. In combination of the 3 lines one finds the entries, and not in color changes as it was taken for granted after raff's addition of pre-price smoothing and filter.

Here is one that could help in that direction. Raff's price smoothing and filter is kept (since he obviously succeeded in making the indicator better) but it also has the original averages too. If one would like to have the "raw" Stridman's indicator than PriceSmoothingand Filtershould be set to less than 2.

PS: Decided to attach the non repainting one too (the one with "nrp" in its name)

Thanks for sharing these indicators, what would you consider the best settings for 4h timeframe?

Regards

Problem VQ

ztdep:
what is wrong with my vq indicator

it work very well on the fxpro mt4, but when i move it to the interbank mt4, it give me a totally different view.

could you please help me to figure it out. by the way, i use it with the same setting and the same timefram.

regards

Idem. Someone can help me?

Regards.

VQ NPR is repainting

mladen:

Hi,

I just added to an EA the above non repainting VQ (renamed it VQ_nrp), and in visual back testing you cam clearly see it does repaint!

For long entry i used:

double VQ2=iCustom(NULL,0,"VQ_nrp",PriceSmoothing,PriceSmoothingMethod,MA1Period,MA2Period,Filter ,3,shift);

double VQ2a=iCustom(NULL,0,"VQ_nrp",PriceSmoothing,PriceSmoothingMethod,MA1Period,MA2Period,Filter ,3,shift+1);

VQ2==EMPTY_VALUE && VQ2a!=EMPTY_VALUE

Sorry do disappoint you but it does not repaint. Done the visual back-tests (load of them), run time usage for a couple of years and all sorts of tests and it simply does not repaint

If you take a look at the code of the indicator itself you will find out that in order to draw color line in non repainting way it uses 2 buffers and not 1 (it can be seen in the PlotPoint routine). Also in some cases it must use 2 points to draw a segment of line and not 1 (otherwise it will not be shown by metatrader - try it out and you will see what am I talking about - of course I am talking of lines and not cases when dots (arrows) or histograms are drawn)

In your EA you are testing only the the 4th buffer and it will not give you the moment when the trend changed since it is just one of the 2 buffers that is used for drawing the red part of the colored line, and testing just that one buffer is not going to help you. I already told that on a couple of posts (first time at the first posting of one nrp indicator) : non repainting way of drawing colored lines adds one extra point and it even does it by altering 2 buffers on occasion and testing color buffers for trend change is not going to give you the results you expect (take a look at the data contained at the "red" buffers and you will see why)

The problem you are facing in your EA is different.

You have to change the code you are using to test values to either much more complicated one (taking into regards all that I said above) or to a much simpler way of doing what you are trying to do - change the code you use to this (retreive the values from the trend buffer directly - it does not matter that it is not drawn on the chart, you can still access it) :

double trendNow=iCustom(NULL,0,"VQ_nrp",PriceSmoothing,PriceSmoothingMethod,MA1Period,MA2Period,Filter ,6,shift);

double trendPrv=iCustom(NULL,0,"VQ_nrp",PriceSmoothing,PriceSmoothingMethod,MA1Period,MA2Period,Filter ,6,shift+1);

if (trendNow!=trendPrv) // trend change

if (trendNow==1)

{

// trend is up

}

else

{

// trend is down

}

that way you are going to test the trend directly and there is no simplest way from that to do it, and you will find out that, if done this way, the trend changes will match perfectly the color changes of the indicator too if shift value used in the code is set to 1 (so testing on a closed bar) If the shift value used is 0 than you are testing values on an opened bar and then, by all means as long as the bar is not closed, any change is completely normal

regards

Mladen

BigSlick:
Hi,

I just added to an EA the above non repainting VQ (renamed it VQ_nrp), and in visual back testing you cam clearly see it does repaint!

For long entry i used:

double VQ2=iCustom(NULL,0,"VQ_nrp",PriceSmoothing,PriceSmoothingMethod,MA1Period,MA2Period,Filter ,3,shift);

double VQ2a=iCustom(NULL,0,"VQ_nrp",PriceSmoothing,PriceSmoothingMethod,MA1Period,MA2Period,Filter ,3,shift+1);

VQ2==EMPTY_VALUE && VQ2a!=EMPTY_VALUE

VQ is a good indicator for short time trades and it does not repaint

My bad what i was looking for seems to be in blessing 3 so checking that out.

VQ indicator

Is there a way to have your norepainting indicator multi time frame so i can change the timeframe i want , and also the introduction of the arrows as per raffi indicator [

QUOTE=mladen;384686]Sorry do disappoint you but it does not repaint. Done the visual back-tests (load of them), run time usage for a couple of years and all sorts of tests and it simply does not repaint

If you take a look at the code of the indicator itself you will find out that in order to draw color line in non repainting way it uses 2 buffers and not 1 (it can be seen in the PlotPoint routine). Also in some cases it must use 2 points to draw a segment of line and not 1 (otherwise it will not be shown by metatrader - try it out and you will see what am I talking about - of course I am talking of lines and not cases when dots (arrows) or histograms are drawn)

In your EA you are testing only the the 4th buffer and it will not give you the moment when the trend changed since it is just one of the 2 buffers that is used for drawing the red part of the colored line, and testing just that one buffer is not going to help you. I already told that on a couple of posts (first time at the first posting of one nrp indicator) : non repainting way of drawing colored lines adds one extra point and it even does it by altering 2 buffers on occasion and testing color buffers for trend change is not going to give you the results you expect (take a look at the data contained at the "red" buffers and you will see why)

The problem you are facing in your EA is different.

You have to change the code you are using to test values to either much more complicated one (taking into regards all that I said above) or to a much simpler way of doing what you are trying to do - change the code you use to this (retreive the values from the trend buffer directly - it does not matter that it is not drawn on the chart, you can still access it) :

double trendNow=iCustom(NULL,0,"VQ_nrp",PriceSmoothing,PriceSmoothingMethod,MA1Period,MA2Period,Filter ,6,shift);

double trendPrv=iCustom(NULL,0,"VQ_nrp",PriceSmoothing,PriceSmoothingMethod,MA1Period,MA2Period,Filter ,6,shift+1);

if (trendNow!=trendPrv) // trend change

if (trendNow==1)

{

// trend is up

}

else

{

// trend is down

}

that way you are going to test the trend directly and there is no simplest way from that to do it, and you will find out that, if done this way, the trend changes will match perfectly the color changes of the indicator too if shift value used in the code is set to 1 (so testing on a closed bar) If the shift value used is 0 than you are testing values on an opened bar and then, by all means as long as the bar is not closed, any change is completely normal

regards

Mladen

The live candle will always repaint ....other than that's it does fine..here is the indi..Im using..

It has great potential, i'm looking for martingale with VA...does well in EURGBP, USDJPY 1M charts

Files:
vq.mq4  8 kb
Reason: