My FX strategy - PipMachine. - page 9

Maji, I was just thinking, if I changed some of these MODE_EMA to say, MODE_SMA, will that make MT4 recognise the Simple Moving averages?

and WMA, etc... I'm gonna give this one a huge test and give you my results for each time frame, what setting used and its out come.

FXGuy2000:
Maji, I was just thinking, if I changed some of these MODE_EMA to say, MODE_SMA, will that make MT4 recognise the Simple Moving averages? and WMA, etc... I'm gonna give this one a huge test and give you my results for each time frame, what setting used and its out come.

Yes, I meant it to be that way. However, never tried it out in reality, but I think it should work.

Good luck.

Maji

Maji:
Yes, I meant it to be that way. However, never tried it out in reality, but I think it should work.

Good luck.

Maji

Hi again,

one thing that I did notice is that it closes the trades, say, when 1 or 2 bars have passed, is there any way to make it close the trade when the EMA actually crosses over, rather than waiting for it to touch, then wait one or two bars? Might be able to save some pips that way.

And to also have the trades execute as soon as the ADX & +DI or -DI hit the ADXlevel, rather than it waiting 1 or 2 bars before it opens the trades?

Here's an Image of the 1hr chart: GBP/USD.

Also notice how the SMA doesn't look right. The SMA is supposed to be the one where the 2nd white arrow is pointing at... so I don't think these settings worked.

extern int ADXPeriod=14;

extern double ADXLevel=26;

extern int SlowPeriod = 10;

extern int SlowMode = MODE_EMA;

extern int SlowPrice = PRICE_CLOSE;

extern int FastPeriod = 3;

extern int FastMode = MODE_SMA;

extern int FastPrice = PRICE_CLOSE;

I just got some interesting results, not via the strategy tester. I'm trying to find the perfect MA setting, ie, High, Low, Close, Open - Expotential, Smoothed, Simple, Linear weighted. So I'm not sure if there's a way to see if the EA can use any one of those at the users descretion. It seems at the moment that it only works for EMA - close.

Optimal Time Frame for this Strategy

FXGuy2000:
I just got some interesting results, not via the strategy tester. I'm trying to find the perfect MA setting, ie, High, Low, Close, Open - Expotential, Smoothed, Simple, Linear weighted. So I'm not sure if there's a way to see if the EA can use any one of those at the users descretion. It seems at the moment that it only works for EMA - close.

FXGuy2000, I have been following these threads from their beginnning over in Oanda and StrategyBuilderFX. I am inexperienced, so I am doing a lot of reading and learning.

Because of not being able to look at the screen at all times, I believe the 4 hr TF works best for me, but I can work with 1 hr if that trades better.

Does this strategy work better with one of these TFs then the other, or are they both equal?

Even with all the controversy, I think you have something good here.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your post.

My strategy works REALLY well for 4hr charts. That's where I make 90% of my trades from.

But this EA (Expert Advisor) is trying to mimic the strategy, but with one difference, it's not using the Macd. It's just using the ADX and EMA at the moment.

What I'm trying to do, is configure the Moving Averages for this EA to work effectively. It seems that there are more crossovers with EMA's than there are with say, EMA and a SMA(this is as far as I have got with trying to configure the MA's).

So I'm going to test some more and while doing so wait for Maji to see if he can manage the EA to allow it to work with something like this so the user can turn on or off particular MA's, like;

use EMA = true; // set to "false" if don't want to use.

use SMA = true; // set to "false" if don't want to use.

use WMA = false; // set to "true" if you want to use

only two of these settings can be true at any one time since we're only using two MA's to create the crossovers.

If this can be done, and the testing can recoginise these then that will be a good start as it seems it's only testing the EMA's at the moment regardles if I change the Mode to MODE_SMA, etc.

Here's one setting that turned out really well. considering.

extern int ADXPeriod=14;

extern double ADXLevel=20;

extern int SlowPeriod = 50;

extern int FastPeriod = 6;

extern int FastMode = MODE_EMA;

Files:
emaandadx.gif  7 kb
emaandadx.htm  127 kb

Here's another one, over a two year period.

===

settings used:

------

extern int StopLoss=575;

extern int TakeProfit=1000;

extern int TrailingStop=15;

extern int TrailingStopStart=15;

extern bool UseTrailingStop=true;

extern int ADXPeriod=14;

extern double ADXLevel=30;

Files:

here's another.

settings: EMAandADX2.htm

extern int StopLoss=475;

extern int ADXPeriod=14;

extern int FastPrice = PRICE_CLOSE; [/code]

All I did was lower the stoploss by 100 pips.

And lowered it again by 75.

settings: EMAandADX3.htm

extern int StopLoss=400;

extern int ADXPeriod=14;