Backtesting/Optimization - page 89

Strategy Tester Help

Hello to everyone.

I love this forum becoz its helpful information.

I'm still relatively new in forex trading and have an EA coding issue,

Can some guru please help me that is there any method or function to

skip to certain time when doing manual visual backtest in strategy tester of MT4?

For that becoz I want to write an EA with some signal to test my idea manually,

but my setup signals do not appear so frequently,so I cant stand wasting my time to monitor

the visual history graph ticking away from my first signal which have been tested

and ticking ticking ticking until next setup signal appears.

I need a function or script coded in my EA which can automatic skip to next setup signal candle

when previous setup signal has been done without using the "Skip to" button on the tester.

I would be grateful for some recommendations or offers.

I hope it's clear and sorry for my english.

Regards,

Peter

asdaca:
Hello to everyone.

I love this forum becoz its helpful information.

I'm still relatively new in forex trading and have an EA coding issue,

Can some guru please help me that is there any method or function to

skip to certain time when doing manual visual backtest in strategy tester of MT4?

For that becoz I want to write an EA with some signal to test my idea manually,

but my setup signals do not appear so frequently,so I cant stand wasting my time to monitor

the visual history graph ticking away from my first signal which have been tested

and ticking ticking ticking until next setup signal appears.

I need a function or script coded in my EA which can automatic skip to next setup signal candle

when previous setup signal has been done without using the "Skip to" button on the tester.

I would be grateful for some recommendations or offers.

I hope it's clear and sorry for my english.

Regards,

Peter

Peter

It can not be done

It would mean that your code would know when will the signal appear in advance (that your code "knows the future") and that is not possible (that is why we are testing Eas in the first place : to see how would it do in a simulated "reality" when it does not know what the future price changes would be)

mladen:
Peter

It can not be done

It would mean that your code would know when will the signal appear in advance (that your code "knows the future") and that is not possible (that is why we are testing Eas in the first place : to see how would it do in a simulated "reality" when it does not know what the future price changes would be)

Hi mladen

Thank U very much.

I want to give you a Further explanation,

My purpose is just testing my idea manually in the history data ,not for the future data .

I think I will use some tools to calculate all setup signal candles's time which will be saved in a ".txt" file,

after that I will read this file's data in my EA, my problem is that how to keep jumping to these times when my tester is running?

I hope it's clear and thanks a lot !

Regards,

Peter

asdaca:
Hi mladen

Thank U very much.

I want to give you a Further explanation,

My purpose is just testing my idea manually in the history data ,not for the future data .

I think I will use some tools to calculate all setup signal candles's time which will be saved in a ".txt" file,

after that I will read this file's data in my EA, my problem is that how to keep jumping to these times when my tester is running?

I hope it's clear and thanks a lot !

Regards,

Peter

Peter

The only way how you could speed it up is using the new ticks generation speed control (I assume you mean the visual mode of back-testing) - in case that you missed it, it is marked on the picture where it is in the back-test controls. There is no other way to skip some periods or similar

Files:
bt_speed.gif  51 kb

OK , yes, I meant the visual mode of back-testing which I want to do with.

I got it , Thank you very much!

Best wishes to you.

Regards,

Peter

Strategy Tester

Hi everybody,

I saw a "strategy tester" button included in the MT4 trading platform, anybody can tell me what is a strategy tester and how can i use it?

Thank you

hi

hi,

i got this expert advisor but wanted to know if someone could backtest it for me and post the results. I dont know how this is done. I want to the results over two years on a one minute chart over two years

thanks

fracture.mq4

Files:
fracture.mq4  15 kb

During backtesting we may have the several cases:

- For example, some EA is testing very good, perfectly well: it does not mean anything for me because code of EA may be adapted by programmer to be tested perfectly well.

- if the EA is showing very bad results during the backtesting I will look on the original idea trying to improve something in original idea.

- if the EA is testing but sometimes good and sometimes bad (just for example: good testing during the October data, and bad during the September, good for August etc) this EA is very interesting for me. Because I understand that it is impossible to have the stable good results forever (because market is changing and everything is changing but we are using the same indicators and the same EAs and is not changing anything).

good morning

how is it possible to optimize an indicator?

dasssi:
good morning how is it possible to optimize an indicator?

Interesting question

Apart from visually, if you have a simple EA with just one indicator and a simple buy sell logic (no stop losses, no take profits, nothing that is considered as a MM) based on that indicator, then optimizing the EA (by optimizing indicators parameters) would be optimizing the indicator itself

Reason: