Backtesting/Optimization - page 90

Thanks for the reply

Can you give me an example of just such EA ie, indicator and how to check?

dasssi:
Thanks for the reply Can you give me an example of just such EA ie, indicator and how to check?

dasssi

The one from this post could be used as a frame for that (just set the stop loss and take profit to 0). This part :

int doWhat = _doNothing;

double diffc = iMA(NULL,0,1,0,MODE_SMA,Price,BarToUse) -iMA(NULL,0,MaPeriod,0,MaMethod,MaPrice,BarToUse);

double diffp = iMA(NULL,0,1,0,MODE_SMA,Price,BarToUse+1)-iMA(NULL,0,MaPeriod,0,MaMethod,MaPrice,BarToUse+1);

if ((diffc*diffp)<0)

if (diffc>0)

doWhat = _doBuy;

else doWhat = _doSell;

if (doWhat==_doNothing) return(0);

has to be raplaced with conditions for the specific indicator, and then it could be used for optimization (so the conditions should come from one indicator and one indicator only - the one that you intend to test)

dear mladen

wich post did you refer?

dasssi:
dear mladen wich post did you refer?

This one : https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/176978/page9 .

Backtests with 99% modeling quality only are valuable. If your backtest is not 99% modeling quality (most common N/A) then it is absolutely inaccurate. That is very important.

Backtesting results

Hello,

I've been testing some EAs i've been coding lately and i have found out some weird behaviour on its long term performance. For example.. the last EA i tried had positive ROI since 9x until 2006-2008 and then it started to have a negative one. At first i thought this would just be a problem with the strategy itself but then after testing some other EAs i've made plus some others i downloaded (pipeater being one of them, found on this forum) i found the exact same behaviour. No matter what i do, what EAs i try, etc i always end up with shitty results after 2008-2009 period.

I wonder if anyone else is having a similar issue? at this point i'm unsure if this is a problem with changing forex rules (more false positives than before) or of i'm not backtesting correctly? (90% modeling quality btw).

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

What's the deal with years 2008-2011 in backtesting?

I recently started developing EAs, and I encountered an issue. No matter what I try, I can't get anything working for a stable long period of time (2008-2009 are clear examples of that as shown on this image http://i.imgur.com/aBfheCB.gif).

I did some research and found that I needed a better tick data so I downloaded dukascopy data which gives me a 99% modelling quality, but the same problem still persists on every EA I create.

I've also tested some paid EAs, which had the same problem. Even found some source codes for paid EAs and saw that they were hardcoded to stop working after 2008, I guess that may be related to this issue.

So what's the deal with 2008-2011 while backtesting? Did something change in the market or what could be causing that anything I try stops working at that specific date every time?

epagos:
I recently started developing EAs, and I encountered an issue. No matter what I try, I can't get anything working for a stable long period of time (2008-2009 are clear examples of that as shown on this image http://i.imgur.com/aBfheCB.gif).

I did some research and found that I needed a better tick data so I downloaded dukascopy data which gives me a 99% modelling quality, but the same problem still persists on every EA I create.

I've also tested some paid EAs, which had the same problem. Even found some source codes for paid EAs and saw that they were hardcoded to stop working after 2008, I guess that may be related to this issue.

So what's the deal with 2008-2011 while backtesting? Did something change in the market or what could be causing that anything I try stops working at that specific date every time?

What is the problem with that kind of back-test results?

It looks like any normal back-testing result to me

This is what I can say about back-tests/optimization from my experience of writing an EA for almost a year and back-testing and optimizing it since.

First) It's easy to confuse back-test/optimization and curve-fitting. This is I think the mistake most people do. They curve-fit their variables for a period of time and then get bad results at another period of time.

Second) Most people back-tests their EA starting at a date in the past, let's say from 2010-01-01 to today and they are done, what about simulating forward testing by starting from 2010-01-10, 2010-01-20, and so on and optimizing as per first point 1?

Personally this is what I do, it's hard work and I obtain not the best results but the most secure ones.

Hello,

I am learning about testing EA's. Actually found this G.P Morgan-KS EA, it has martingale but i turned into 0 and works very good i think. the problem i have is that my fxcm broker only has 1 months data, would like to try doing this with 1 year but don't know where to get the history. I don't know also if it is a good configuration or what are all the variables i have changed for getting this result, it makes me about 199% profit since 6 january 2014 in GBP/USD, starting with 1000 USD lot size 0.3, tp 500 pip, sl 200 pip, 15 min timeframe. I don't know why other time frame don't work as good, but i am still happy with the result.

Where can i find more than a month data for 15 min time frame?

Where can i find a tutorial about backtesting in the forum?

How should i change the configuration of lot size, tp and sl for backtesting with other ammount of initial deposit and have same result or near this one?

Thanks

Daniel1983

Files:
testergraph.gif  10 kb
Reason: