Backtesting/Optimization - page 87

Hi all,

i don't know if it is already discuss but i have a dubt.

If i have the data feed in csv format(time,ask,bid,askvolume,bisvolume) can i import it brought the Hystorical center "import" button?

There is some specified format that i must use?

Thank you

dasio:
Hi all,

If i have the data feed in csv format(time,ask,bid,askvolume,bisvolume) can i import it brought the Hystorical center "import" button?

Thank you

I want to specify that i have tick data

dasio

It must have the following fields (in that order) : time, open, high, low, close and volume. So you are missing 2 prices in that file (you can not set them to 0 since it would mess up your chart) and you have 1 extra volume (unfortunately metatrader does not make a difference in bid and ask volume and in metatrader 4 it only uses volume to record ticks not "real" volumes)

dasio:
Hi all,

Thank you

mladen:
dasio It must have the following fields (in that order) : time, open, high, low, close and volume. So you are missing 2 prices in that file (you can not set them to 0 since it would mess up your chart) and you have 1 extra volume (unfortunately metatrader does not make a difference in bid and ask volume and in metatrader 4 it only uses volume to record ticks not "real" volumes)

Ok, if i create a file with theese criteria and import it in 1 minute historical data, how it can be create the tick data for strategy tester?.

My final intention is to create an hst file using my script for strategy tester in an offline server.

Your opinion...EA~?

I believe that expert advisor is just the same as trading manualy. If you're right when trading by your own than it is possible to make this system automated...Your opinion?

What is your advice on how long to use for back testing and forward testing?

Hello everyone,

I need some help here, I'm considering using a 1H time frame to trade, and with my EA , i want to backtest and forwardtest appropriately.

I am familiar with the procedures and all, but what do you recommend should be the time period i backtest and forwardtest with?

Should I backtest 12 months and forwardtest 3 months? Or should I backtest 6 months of data and just forwardtest 2 months?

I'd like to find the optimum settings, just that I'm not too sure how long I should backtest and forwardtest (around 25% of backtest range I heard) to find those stats.

Any recommendations from you more experienced people?

Hi Ivan,

I moved your 2 posts to this thread as your 2 questions are connected with each other.

1. Trading manually before automated.

Yes, it is strongly recommended.

Because any coder wants to program profitable idea (to be sure that idea is profitable), and because time = money for coders. I mean - it is difficult for any coder to program many EAs according to raw ideas "for just to try"

I think - author of idea should trade it for some period just to be sure that idea may be profitable and may be automated.

... expert advisor is just the same as trading manualy ...

Sometimes - yes, sometimes - not.

2. backtesting/forward testing.

If you were/are trading your idea manually so you know the rules and the settings. If yes - you do not need to backtest EA comparing it with forward testing.

Because backtesting results are not valid in many cases: in case of MTF EA, high/low/open price of the bar used/coded in EA or in indicator used as icustom and in some other cases.

So, it is better to trade your idea manually to know: where your system will lose and why, which settings should you use, which pairs will you trade, which timeframe? which trading rules to use practically and so on.

After that - you can make forward test.

-------

Of course, there are famous coders and there are famous system developers so we can trust them about "this idea is profitable" and "use this EA with ... timeframe with ... settings". But there are not so many famous coders (programmers) and system developers (idea creators) which can be trusted. Besides, any coder and system developer are having specialization ...

what is specialization?

example:

- "I am master-builder"

- "are you building what? yachts, houses, stool, roads?"

- I am building everything"

so ... he is not a builder

next example:

- "I am translator"

- "which languages from/to?"

- "any languages, because all languages are same"

so ... he is not a translator ...

Same with programmers - they are having their own specialization they defined for themselves.

... so ... in most of the cases - idea should be proven by manual trading, and general conslusion about "profitable EA or not" should be done by forward testing.

As to time period for forward testing ... it depends on the system and EA.

Yes, there are some EAs (and systems) which can be profitable for many years without improvements. But those systems are based on strong classical theories. Besides, those systems are having 80% - 100% ROI (annual return/profit) in a year. If we want to have more profitable EA so ... there is some theory that any "very very profitable system" can be profitable for no more than 3 months: more profitable - less time of life for EA

That is why many traders are trying/asking to improve EA/system for at least once in a 3 - 6 months.

How to get EA directed Comments to show in backtest chart

I have comments that show up normally on my graphs that show variable values. How do I get the same comments to show up in a backtest ea graph??

Your help is appreciated!

Dave

It will show it in visual back-test mode.

Here is one example that will show you comments in visual mode (and it will show you one more interesting thing : that local time is also simulated in back-tests)

1Dave7:
I have comments that show up normally on my graphs that show variable values. How do I get the same comments to show up in a backtest ea graph??

Your help is appreciated!

Dave
Files:

Help fix an indicator

Hello there,

I came across this indicator on my PC (really don't remember when and how i got it). It's called pVS, it's kind of signal bars that shows NLMA-T3-RSAR-Volumes and HAS i really found it very interesting.

The problem is that the HAS portion seems to be not working (always red) + the volumes aren't showing any activity...

If somone with programming abilities interested to fix it, it could be usefull for some members including me .

thanks in advance for the help

pvs.mq4

Files:
pvs.mq4  20 kb
Reason: