Step indicators - page 20

mladen:
Which exact version are you using? As far as I know, some versions are already made to have a choice of alerting on a closed bar

No options for that in this one. I don't remember exactly where I downloaded it from (it's from TSD, just not sure which thread).

Anyways, it's this one: stepma_v7.2.mq4

Many thanks for prompt response :-)

Files:
stepma_v7.2.mq4  10 kb

EZMehrtens:
No options for that in this one. I don't remember exactly where I downloaded it from (it's from TSD, just not sure which thread).

Anyways, it's this one: stepma_v7.2.mq4

Many thanks for prompt response :-)

EZMehrtens

You could use this one : https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/173044/page11

It is not version 7.2 (it is an upgraded version) but the results are the same and it has alerts build in already

mladen:
EZMehrtens

It is not version 7.2 (it is an upgraded version) but the results are the same and it has alerts build in already

Hi mladen and thank you so much for the effort :-)

It's close, but I am unable to replicate the settings to match 7.2 (v9 is either too sensitive giving too many false signals or too insensitive giving late signals) :-( I am extremely pleased with the performance of 7.2. I just unfortunately don't have the time to sit at the pc to follow it as closely as necessary. Mt4 pushes alerts to my mobile phone so an alert in the 7.2 would be a real life saver. The alert is already there for the current candle but current candle signals imho are pretty much useless on H4 and higher tf's as we know a lot can happen in so many hours in forex. Just an option to alert colour change confirmed by candle close without any extra whistles or bells would be of really great help :-)

Many thanks again for all your efforts & kind regards :-)

mladen:
EZMehrtens

It's close, but I am unable to replicate the settings to match 7.2 (v9 is either too sensitive giving too many false signals or too insensitive giving late signals) :-( I am extremely pleased with the performance of 7.2. I just unfortunately don't have the time to sit at the pc to follow it as closely as necessary. Mt4 pushes alerts to my mobile phone so an alert in the 7.2 would be a real life saver. The alert is already there for the current candle but current candle signals imho are pretty much useless on H4 and higher tf's as we know a lot can happen in so many hours in forex. Just an option to alert colour change confirmed by candle close without any extra whistles or bells would be of really great help :-)

EZMehrtens:

EZMehrtens

More or less, version 9 corrected some errors that version 7.2 has (one being a repainting issue that can happen in almost all 7.2 versions). I think that it is better to use version 9 due to that differences

mladen:
EZMehrtens More or less, version 9 corrected some errors that version 7.2 has (one being a repainting issue that can happen in almost all 7.2 versions). I think that it is better to use version 9 due to that differences

That's very strange, I have backtested 7.2 extensively and am forward testing it for some time now and as of yet I have not encountered a single case of repainting after closed bar!! Of course it repaints the current bar according to pa.

v9 seems to be a different version of the same principles as 7.2, but it is not simply a fix or upgrade of 7.2.

v7.2 I can use same settings on any tf and any pair with fairly decent results where as v9 needs fine tuning for each pair and/or tf.

I believe in simplicity and a very simplpe principle in life I follow is that if it ain't broken I don't go fixing it & 7.2 works perfect for me :P

EZMehrtens:
That's very strange, I have backtested 7.2 extensively and am forward testing it for some time now and as of yet I have not encountered a single case of repainting after closed bar!! Of course it repaints the current bar according to pa.

v9 seems to be a different version of the same principles as 7.2, but it is not simply a fix or upgrade of 7.2.

v7.2 I can use same settings on any tf and any pair with fairly decent results where as v9 needs fine tuning for each pair and/or tf.

I believe in simplicity and a very simplpe principle in life I follow is that if it ain't broken I don't go fixing it & 7.2 works perfect for me :P

Here is a chart with just a couple of points where step ma version 7.2 repainted :

With longer period the repainting will not be as frequent but it will repaint on longer periods too. That is the reason why I told that it is better to use a version that finally corrected that repainting issue

Files:
repaint.gif  82 kb

mladen:
Here is a chart with just a couple of points where step ma version 7.2 repainted :

With longer period the repainting will not be as frequent but it will repaint on longer periods too. That is the reason why I told that it is better to use a version that finally corrected that repainting issue

Well, possibly due to the very small stepsize & the low tf.

For me that kind of defeats the purpose of the step. I use it for trend catching with a much higher step, for ex. aud/jpy = stepsize 900 on H4. And as I've said I've yet to witness a repaint on higher tf's. Or it is so insignificant that it's simply not noticeable

EZMehrtens:
Well, possibly due to the very small stepsize & the low tf. For me that kind of defeats the purpose of the step. I use it for trend catching with a much higher step, for ex. aud/jpy = stepsize 900 on H4. And as I've said I've yet to witness a repaint on higher tf's. Or it is so insignificant that it's simply not noticeable

Repainting in almost all step ma 7.2 indicators (except in some versions corrected by mrtools or me) does not depend on step size or periods or anything similar. It depends on the way it is coded. And step ma version 7.2 is not coded the way how non-repainting indicators should be coded. There is no other reason

regardless of the step size, period or any parameter, it will repaint in specific situations

mladen:
Repainting in almost all step ma 7.2 indicators (except in some versions corrected by mrtools or me) does not depend on step size or periods or anything similar. It depends on the way it is coded. And step ma version 7.2 is not coded the way how non-repainting indicators should be coded. There is no other reason regardless of the step size, period or any parameter, it will repaint in specific situations

Ok, since I am not a coder I take your word on it :-P

I'll fiddle around with v9 some more and see if I can match my set up!!

Many thanks for the efforts and patience :-)

Kind regards.

Reason: