EA Transfer from one platform to another

Good Day Everyone,

I have a question regarding the use of an EA that has become unavailable.

I have it installed and running on one MT4 platform but I would like to have it run on an additional platform as well. The source is not available for the download as I used for the original installation but I have been told that it is possible to copy the files from the current set up (ie: ex4, dll, etc) and place them into the platform that I would like to run it on.

Is this possible ? If so, how do I do it step by step if it's not too much trouble ?

Thank you for your time in reading this and for your support.

1. "Is this possible?" You already said it is. Don't you trust your source?
  2. You want to know how to transfer files from one machine to another? Ever here of thumb drives, DVDs, FTP, network transfers, File sharing sites? In any case it isn't a MT4 question, you're off topic.

whroeder1:
  1. "Is this possible?" You already said it is. Don't you trust your source?
  2. You want to know how to transfer files from one machine to another? Ever here of thumb drives, DVDs, FTP, network transfers, File sharing sites? In any case it isn't a MT4 question, you're off topic.

Hi Whroeder1,

What I'm saying is that this EA is currently running on one of the computers I have. I would like to run this same EA on a VPS.

I have the ex4 file for it but nothing else. Is it possible to copy the available files and run them on the VPS or are there security protocols that prevent this and require the original installation as was done from the Market here at MQL5.

Lord John Robert Berendt Von Leviathan III: I have a question regarding the use of an EA that has become unavailable. I have it installed and running on one MT4 platform but I would like to have it run on an additional platform as well. The source is not available for the download as I used for the original installation but I have been told that it is possible to copy the files from the current set up (ie: ex4, dll, etc) and place them into the platform that I would like to run it on. Is this possible ? If so, how do I do it step by step if it's not too much trouble ?

Instead of asking the question, why don't you just try it and see for yourself?

Copy the file in question (the ".ex4") to the same folder structure on the VPS machine! You will find it under the "MQL4\Experts\Market" folder, which you should replicate on the VPS.

Just make sure that you have the same MQL5 Community credentials setup on both machines before transferring and do this while the MT4 applications are closed!

Please note, that I am not saying that it is going to work (because I have never done it myself), but saying that you should try it first!

Fernando Carreiro:

Instead of asking the question, why don't you just try it and see for yourself?

Copy the file in question (the ".ex4") to the same folder structure on the VPS machine! You will find it under the "MQL4\Experts\Market" folder, which you should replicate on the VPS.

Just make sure that you have the same MQL5 Community credentials setup on both machines before transferring and do this while the MT4 applications are closed!

Please note, that I am not saying that it is going to work (because I have never done it myself), but saying that you should try it first!

Hi Fernando,

I have tried coping the ex4 file and placing it into the identical file location on the VPS and, while it does show under the Market menu, it does not open or allow me to apply it to any chart. I ask here because my knowledge is not near what some of the Experts here know and can do and I am not sure what is possible and what is not.

Lord John Robert Berendt Von Leviathan III: I have tried coping the ex4 file and placing it into the identical file location on the VPS and, while it does show under the Market menu, it does not open or allow me to apply it to any chart. I ask here because my knowledge is not near what some of the Experts here know and can do and I am not sure what is possible and what is not.

Did you set the same MQL5 Community credentials on both machines as I mentioned?

Are they the same trading account?

PS! Why was the EA discontinued? That was the reasoning for it to no longer be available on the Market?

Fernando Carreiro:

Did you set the same MQL5 Community credentials on both machines as I mentioned?

Are they the same trading account?

Yes, same credentials and same account on two different identical platforms.

The big issue is that the original EA that I downloaded was removed from the Market at MQL5 and now I do not have access to download it again to the VPS. I'm trying to work around it to get it to run on the VPS.

Lord John Robert Berendt Von Leviathan III: Yes, same credentials and same account on two different identical platforms. The big issue is that the original EA that I downloaded was removed from the Market at MQL5 and now I do not have access to download it again to the VPS. I'm trying to work around it to get it to run on the VPS.

It that case, I suggest you contact the service desk. They will be able to give you a definitive answer!

Maybe you can argue for a refund as well, if it turns out not to be possible!

Fernando Carreiro:

It that case, I suggest you contact the service desk. They will be able to give you a definitive answer!

Maybe you can argue for a refund as well, if it turns out not to be possible!

This EA was free so nothing like that. I just like it and would like to use it with the VPS but I'm hitting a wall with this concept.

I do appreciate your time and comments and thank you for trying to help.

Lord John Robert Berendt Von Leviathan III: This EA was free so nothing like that. I just like it and would like to use it with the VPS but I'm hitting a wall with this concept. I do appreciate your time and comments and thank you for trying to help.

It that case, it should have worked, because I have done it with "free" EAs. However, in my case they continue to be available, so the mechanism probably just reevaluates the "license" when I transfer it.

In your case, since it is no longer available, the license can't be reevaluated!

Contact the service desk!

Fernando Carreiro:

It that case, it should have worked, because I have done it with "free" EAs. However, in my case they continue to be available, so the mechanism probably just reevaluates the "license" when I transfer it.

In your case, since it is no longer available, the license can't be reevaluated!

Contact the service desk!

Thank you.
Reason: