Running Multiple Instances of MT4 - page 2

sanlorenzo:
No I'm not - should I be using it?

ok I am looking at it but not convinced I need it as I have my own back-end for test/optimisation - just an excel workbook but it does what I need.

????????????

My question is how do i run more than one instance of metrader from the same broker?

sfmain:
My question is how do i run more than one instance of metrader from the same broker?

Ok - what I do is this;

1) shut down MT4

2) copy your existing MT4 folder (call it MT4A or something like that).

3) start MT4 from the copied folder, and create or login to the new account, or just logout of the account/s normally traded by the original installation of mt4.

4) create a shortcut such as mt4a (so you dont get confused about which is which later).

and thats it... you should now be able to run 2 copies of mt4 on different accounts, with the same (or different) broker.

Hi everyone,

sanlorenzo:
Ok - what I do is this;

1) shut down MT4

2) copy your existing MT4 folder (call it MT4A or something like that).

3) start MT4 from the copied folder, and create or login to the new account, or just logout of the account/s normally traded by the original installation of mt4.

4) create a shortcut such as mt4a (so you dont get confused about which is which later).

and thats it... you should now be able to run 2 copies of mt4 on different accounts, with the same (or different) broker.

Hi everyone,

I have a question about installing many instances of MetaTrader. If you want to install MT4 from another broker you would have to download the installation file from that broker but if you want to install multiple instances of MT4 from the same broker what is the best ways to do it?

I heard from many sources that you can just copy the MT4 folder from the Program Files folder. But as a computer guy I know that installing a software with the setup program modifies the registry etc. Doesn't MT4 make those changes? If I have an installation on one computer can I just copy the MT4 folder to another and it will work? Is it safe to just copy an existing MT4 installation folder? Or should I be running the installation program each time?

Thank for your help,

Alex

In my experience you can simply name the installation folder a different name than the one you previously installed, and the entire MT4 (for that broker) will be installed into the new directory, which makes it separate from previous installations.

You should be able to run those installations simultaneously with no problems, although, I must admit I have had problems on some occasions doing this. I think it was related to the fact that I had 10 separate EA's trading in each of the separate MT4's running at the same time. I think something about the EA I was running caused problems.

But unless you're a nutcase like me, you probably won't have this problem.

So by having a separate installation folder, is your MT4 settings for each instance keep separately?

Currently, I'm running 1 instance of MT4. But whenever I try to run a new instance, it takes the previous setting.

Multicore

sanlorenzo:
I'm also wondering about Server 2008 64bit (or 2003 64bit) on the basis that it supports multiple cores/processors. I assumed that to make the most of the hardware, you would need to run each instance under a different server-username because MT4 itself is an x86 app it cannot make use of multi-processing OSs. However that seems to be easier said than done, because when I install MT4 on W2k8, it seems to want every user to use the same copy of the program. I suspect Vista x64 will do the job just as well as Server - better than XP as its 64bit and handles memory better. Not sure about the multiple cores/processors though - since MT4 is not multi-threaded, the only advantage using Vista is probably memory handling. Whereas - I think - W2k8 will handle each users application seperately, making use of multiple cores/processors..... Maybe there's a systems guru out there who can help? ...

MT4 is Single Threaded will not use multicore

I know mt4 is monolithic. Let me explain my original question another way; will win 2003/2008 server execute multiple instances of mt4 using mutiple cores and memory most efficiently if these instances are running in one user-ground, or do I need to create multiple users and have each execute an mt4 instance to get the most efficient and reliable result?

Since my original post, I have done both and can confirm that the latter is a better solution, particularly where memory usage is concerned, but overall performance is better.

why anyone would run 10copies of MT4?

Sorry my ignorance but what is the reason to run 10 or more MT4? I may understand to have a maximum of 3 copies from different brokers to monitor price but 10!

It would be intresting to read the reasons behind it.

The purpose is to run multiple (parallel) foward tests on new EA's as quickly as possible.

Reason: