A virus in an EA ? - page 2

RaptorUK:
Yes,  of course an ex5 can be malicious but it is limited to what it can access and therefore limited to the damage it can possibly do . . . like everything in life,  the risk is yours to judge and accept or not.  If you have any doubt don't run it.
To be clear, an ex5 can't be like a virus. It can be malicious in the sense it can destroy an account.

Maybe the poster can clear a little because what came to my mind the first time I read this is someone losing tradingwise so angevoyageur could be right in what virus could be under reference.

yse but only when you EA or Indicator use include file so i reccomend to you to not allow include (import and export). i recommend you to allow to use import and export files when you be sure that the EA is not contain a virus

Is this somekind new virus technology?

If that EA, Indicator (and its dll) really contains virus/trojan/keylogger...... is it possible detected by common AntiVirus software (Norton,Avast,Kaspersky/etc)?

I'm not worried about EA/Robot caused I only trade manual... but I depends a lot with some Custom Indicators which might using .dll

gregadam:

Is it possible that an EA contains a virus? or that it is programmed to make good profit on a demo account, but losses on a live account? Does anyone know if an EA can be malicious?

I have a few EAs from the internet, but they are executables only, no source code.

An .ex5 file can't be malicious by itself. Well, only if it blows up your account. Only DLL's can be used maliciously. Besides, a bad performance of an EA has nothing to do with viruses. Most scalping EA's just lose because of the impact of spread+slippage in the mathematical expectation of the strategy. Most people lose money not to the market, but to the broker.

PzTrading:

An .ex5 file can't be malicious by itself. Well, only if it blows up your account. 

Of course it can,  even if it doesn't blow up your account.  What makes it malicious or not is the intent of the person that coded it . . .  if it's designed to do harm then it is malicious,  if it's coded in error and by accident does harm then it's not malicious.

RaptorUK:
Of course it can,  even if it doesn't blow up your account.  What makes it malicious or not is the intent of the person that coded it . . .  if it's designed to do harm then it is malicious,  if it's coded in error and by accident does harm then it's not malicious.
What an EA can do malicious (other than blow up an account) ?

angevoyageur:
What an EA can do malicious (other than blow up an account) ?
Delete all your Objects on your chart.  Delete files in any directory it has access to.  Probably other things I haven't thought of . . . I'm not a malicious person.  The intent is what makes it malicious or not.
Documentation on MQL5: File Functions / FileDelete
Documentation on MQL5: File Functions / FileDelete
  • www.mql5.com
File Functions / FileDelete - Documentation on MQL5

RaptorUK:
Delete all your Objects on your chart.  Delete files in any directory it has access to.  Probably other things I haven't thought of . . . I'm not a malicious person.  The intent is what makes it malicious or not.
Ok I see your point.

RaptorUK:
That is just playing around :P
Reason: