Discussion of article "Forex VPS by Fozzy Inc." - page 2

If you interested in finding some server to run your MT, this maybe help.

Note : the company that provide, VPS, dedicated server, or co-location is also know as Data Center

1. Get dedicated server (or even co-location), not VPS. VPS is a server that is divided and shared for several users, hence it named VPS = Virtual (not real) Private Server. Co-location require you to have your own server and so you have to bring that server to Data Center. Co-location is more expensive than Dedicated server, and dedicated server is more expensive that VPS. Having co-location is better, because some Data Center may cheating by telling that they offer dedicated but actually it's a VPS. Some Data Center that you find in internet may actually just a reseller, it means they don't have real data center and just selling someone else server. They usually have very bad server.

2. Go here Data Center Map  to find data center that you may interested, also Google disaster free zone in your country. For example if you live in Antarctica, then simply Google "Disaster free zone in Antarctica" or "disaster free zone data center in Antarctica" or something like that.

No, we can not run from natural disaster, but it's not bad idea to be prepared. (You may interested in http://www.google.com/search?q=disaster+data+center or read this Top 8 data center disaster of 2007)

3. Compare each one of data center and don't forget to Google review them, for example, if the company names is "ABC data center", then you simply Google, ABC data center review. You may well be surprise, that some Data Center have very bad history and very bad review.

4. When you sure, go choose your server. 

Hope that's help. 

Data center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • en.wikipedia.org
A data center is a facility used to house computer systems and associated components, such as telecommunications and storage systems. It generally includes redundant or backup power supplies, redundant data communications connections, environmental controls (e.g., air conditioning, fire suppression) and security devices. Large data centers are...

The issues here are:

(1) Metatrader is designed to be used with Microsoft Windows desktop operating systems (eg. Win XP, 7, 8)

(2) Metatrader EA's are ideally run on a VPS for reasons of stability etc (ie. not on a home PC running 24/7 connected to the internet)

(3) Windows Server is a resource intensive OS because it contains all the functionality that you need for a server (vs a desktop OS like Win XP, 7 or 8) but which is irrelevant for running Metatrader.

Bottom line:

I have tried running MT5 on Windows Server with 1 GB of RAM. It operates but often very slow - very frustrating to use. Monitoring my CPU/RAM usage I could see there was spare capacity. My hosting provider advised that the problem is the way that Windows Server prioritizes resources.

Running MT5 on linux is much more efficient for a VPS - though you can't use the strategy tester until the bugs with that and linux are resolved.

Documentation on MQL5: Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Indicator Constants / Indicators Lines
Documentation on MQL5: Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Indicator Constants / Indicators Lines
  • www.mql5.com
Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Indicator Constants / Indicators Lines - Documentation on MQL5

call.me.Al:

The issues here are:

(1) Metatrader is designed to be used with Microsoft Windows desktop operating systems (eg. Win XP, 7, 8)

(2) Metatrader EA's are ideally run on a VPS for reasons of stability etc (ie. not on a home PC running 24/7 connected to the internet)

(3) Windows Server is a resource intensive OS because it contains all the functionality that you need for a server (vs a desktop OS like Win XP, 7 or 8) but which is irrelevant for running Metatrader.

Bottom line:

I have tried running MT5 on Windows Server with 1 GB of RAM. It operates but often very slow - very frustrating to use. Monitoring my CPU/RAM usage I could see there was spare capacity. My hosting provider advised that the problem is the way that Windows Server prioritizes resources.

Running MT5 on linux is much more efficient for a VPS - though you can't use the strategy tester until the bugs with that and linux are resolved.

That because VPS is a shared server, so everything is shared to several users, including processor computing, the RAM is actually comes from HD, and that's why some of them may offer expensive Windows VPS for just $ 20/month.

If this is dedicated server, calculating the cost of electricity, the server, the OS, the air conditioning, I don't think $20 will return the investment of providing such server - let alone profitable.

Use
phi.nuts:

That because VPS is a shared server, so everything is shared to several users, including processor computing, the RAM is actually comes from HD, and that's why some of them may offer expensive Windows VPS for just $ 20/month.

If this is dedicated server, calculating the cost of electricity, the server, the OS, the air conditioning, I don't think $20 will return the investment of providing such server - let alone profitable.

Use discount code holiday for 10% off. Maybe this will help
Reason: