Multi time frame EA

Hi everyone,

New to mql5.

I have a multi time frame expert advisor that I made that takes signals from three different time frames; m1, m5, and m15.

My question is whether or not metatraders strategy tester will be able to access all three time frames when I run it through the strategy tester.

From my understanding the strategy tester will work to some degree but will not give accurate results.

If it does not work with the strategy tester and does not give accurate results is there a way to GET accurate results?

I have read online both answers, yes it will work and no it won't. Looking for knowledgeable answers with past experience please!

- ForexMM

all upper frames are calculated from M1.

Also, the tester does not give accurate results and there is no way to accurate results using the tester, maybe if you go to extremes trying to replicate every tick.

But live market tests might be your point of interest if you are looking for some real test results.

Hi Marco,

Thank you for replying to my thread.

I know the strategy tester is not THAT accurate, but it does give some indication as to where and when it would enter for trades/estimation on profit.

But what you are saying is that the strategy tester cannot access other timeframes? Or it can but it will not do it properly the way it would if it was on a live or demo?

Thanks,

Forexmm

No i am not saying that, what im saying is that,

M5 is 5 M1 candles

M15 is 15 M1 candles

M30 is 30 M1 candles

H1 is 60 M1 candles

H4 is 240 M1 candles.

Not THAT accurate? it is only to see if the logic works correctly to make sure it does not start to mass order draining the account is seconds,

or to make sure it does not close one sec after opening an order,

to see if the ordermodify and close functions work properly,

other than that, it is useless especially when using that word profit.

So then really, besides the points that you made what is the point of the strategy tester if it does not show accurate profit results from past data?

I guess the answer is none...

How would one accurately backtest a strategy to show profits then?

Marco vd Heijden:

But live market tests might be your point of interest if you are looking for some real test results.

Marco vd Heijden:

Yes, but unfortunately that takes quite a while. I do have something quite interesting that I found earlier today that might interest you.

http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=60849

Please look at the 11th page of the thread and download the pdf file that is called "Strategy Testing with Multiple Time Frames.pdf"

Let me know what you think.

forexmmm:

Please look at the 11th page of the thread and download the pdf file that is called "Strategy Testing with Multiple Time Frames.pdf"

FYI, in any FF thread you can just click on the paperclip at the top of any thread page to see and download all attachments in the thread ;-)

Stuart Browne:
FYI, in any FF thread you can just click on the paperclip at the top of any thread page to see and download all attachments in the thread ;-)
Ahh thank you! I did not notice that as i'm new to this forum!

forexmmm:

Let me know what you think.

I better not answer that.

Just go for it.

Reason: