Multi Time frame EA

Hi,

I have a question in regards to multi time frame EAs.

I get quite a few conflicting answers when it comes to this as it seems to be a bit of a grey area.

To my understanding the strategy tester (update on meta trader platform as of 2013) can access other time frames if your EA requires them to open a buy or sell.

The EA that I created uses m5 m30 and m15 to create short or long entries.

Are the strategy tester results accurate when it uses multiple time frame EA?

Can the strategy tester use multiple time frames?

Your knowledge on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

- ForexMM

Multi time frame EA

Hi,

I have a question in regards to multi time frame EAs.

I get quite a few conflicting answers when it comes to this as it seems to be a bit of a grey area.

To my understanding the strategy tester (update on meta trader platform as of 2013) can access other time frames if your EA requires them to open a buy or sell.

The EA that I created uses m5 m30 and m15 to create short or long entries.

Are the strategy tester results accurate when it uses multiple time frame EA?

Can the strategy tester use multiple time frames?

Your knowledge on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

- ForexMM

Anyone??????

Can MT5 backtest multi time frame signal expert advisers???

forexmm:
Can MT5 backtest multi time frame signal expert advisers???

If you mean can it use signals from different time frames, each code can use via iCustom() call signals from different time frames

mladen:
If you mean can it use signals from different time frames, each code can use via iCustom() call signals from different time frames

Yes I have iCustom in my code. Maybe you already answered my question but you are saying both MT5 and MT4 can back test through the strategy tester multi time frame signal expert advisers??

Will they both mt5 and mt4 be the same in terms of accuracy?

UPDATE: I emailed metaquotes a week ago with this question and they finally replied saying that MT4 cannot access other time frames when running a multi time frame expert adviser through MT4 strategy tester.

forexmm:
Yes I have iCustom in my code. Maybe you already answered my question but you are saying both MT5 and MT4 can back test through the strategy tester multi time frame signal expert advisers??

Will they both mt5 and mt4 be the same in terms of accuracy?

UPDATE: I emailed metaquotes a week ago with this question and they finally replied saying that MT4 cannot access other time frames when running a multi time frame expert adviser through MT4 strategy tester.

There is no accuracy in back tests in a meaning that you are looking for

Start with one question : in real time the spread will be variable. In back test it will never be the way it was at some particular moment (metatrader does not have tick data (including spreads) that could be used for that

So , regardless what are you using for backtesting (and if you are using multi time frame or not) results will never be the same as if it was traded in real time. You can use mt4 or use mt5, and none of those will be reliable.

"Genetic algorithm" that they are advertising as the way of generating ticks is laughable (I still am waiting from them an explanation how something that should produce random ticks, always produces same results and same charts - pseudo random generators are available widely on the net - adding constrains (like the known range for high low and open to close) could be done in a matter of 2 coding lines- so why couldn't they use some of those) and if I were mt, I would erase that word altogether from testing options description (it only shows that there is no serious testing in mt at all - version 4 or 5 does not matter)

The only reliable way of testing any system or EA is forward testing. Backtests results are very often considered to be outright scamms (curve fitting is very, very easy to achieve - what else is the optimizer made for than for curve fitting), with adjustable "spread" people are making fake perfect results of scalping systems, .... and so on, and so on, and so on ...

If you are a trader use forward testing if you want reliable results

On the other hand, if you are seller, then if you want to sell something based on backtest results only, be prepared to be called names

happy trading

Reason: