Windows 10 upgrade : what you should know !

Hello All,

I am opening this topic to centralize all information about migrating to Windows 10. No much for now, but important points to be aware anyway.

Stay tuned...

P.S : Of course, only information related to MT4/MT5 will be reported here.

Hi Alain, mate I'm in a bit of trouble! I have been running a demo account with FXCM for about 4 months and just the other day I installed windows 10, ever since MT4 wont open, I have tried everything...

All it does is open and then instantly crash as soon as it loads up, I installed Trading station and MT5 to see if they will work, they all work fine, I then tried a demo account from Axitrader and there MT4 wont work either?

Anyone have any ideas? Super frustrating :(

BigShades :
Hi Alain, mate I'm in a bit of trouble! I have been running a demo account with FXCM for about 4 months and just the other day I installed windows 10, ever since MT4 wont open, I have tried everything...

All it does is open and then instantly crash as soon as it loads up, I installed Trading station and MT5 to see if they will work, they all work fine, I then tried a demo account from Axitrader and there MT4 wont work either?

Anyone have any ideas? Super frustrating :(

Good afternoon.

You can upload the log file here? The path like this: C:\Users\Владимир\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\D0E8209F99C8CF59AD8BF550E51FF075\logs

Is this the one you need?

http://www.filedropper.com/20150811

(Was on the phone with Axitrader tech support for just over an hour and they couldn't work it out )

BigShades:
Is this the one you need?

http://www.filedropper.com/20150811

(Was on the phone with Axitrader tech support for just over an hour and they couldn't work it out )
Please post your file attached to your message here, not with a third party site.

Sorry, didn't realize you could.
Files:
20150811.log  55 kb

According to the purchase agreement the term bound to a “specific operating system” is not clearly defined. This needs to be clearly clarified in the purchase agreement.

All Windows updates no matter how minor or major alter Windows components. Therefore each and every minor Windows update could in theory result in having to re-activate each EA for every update.

There is also a possible major update for Windows 10 (Threshold wave 2) coming soon and it is not clear whether or not updating to this will require each EA to be re-activated.

The end of extended support from Microsoft is as follows (from Microsoft's website):

Windows 7          – 14 January 2020.

Windows 8          – 10 January 2023.

Windows 10        – 14 October 2025.

So if you are using your computer for MT4/5 trading only it is worth considering whether or not to update it to Windows 10 and loss an EA activation. If you are running Windows 8 now, then you only get another two years out of the additional activation if you were to update to Windows 10.

Also will your computer last until 2025 or are you like to upgrade the computer before then? Might be better to wait and use the activation when / if you decide get a new computer nearer the time.

Just some point to consider before deciding to update. 

BigShades:
Sorry, didn't realize you could.
On the log file shows that migration to new build 840 (probably, that you had a 6xx build). Please start the Terminal again. Then show the new log file.

Karputov Vladimir:
On the log file shows that migration to new build 840 (probably, that you had a 6xx build). Please start the Terminal again. Then show the new log file.
Yes the issue is not related to Windows 10. It's related to MT4 update.

Alain Verleyen:
Yes the issue is not related to Windows 10. It's related to MT4 update.
So I'm going to ask you all answers moved to the appropriate topic.

Seems to be the same log?
Files:
20150811.log  55 kb
Reason: