Is Metaquotes historical data reliable? mt5

I am performing various backtesting using ic market data. So far it seemed to go well, but when I tried to use the real ticks data, it gave me that the quality was 35%, so looking on the internet I found that the quality of metaquotes data was 100% in real ticks.

I did different tests and it gave me totally different results to the ones I got with icmarket. I thought it was because of the difference in quality, but then I tried with "Every tick" data where icmarket shows a quality of 100%, and the results with the other data are still totally different. 

That's why my question is if they are reliable data, or if they are more reliable those of, for example, icmarket. 
Thank you very much.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

MQL5 metaquotes data

Sergey Golubev, 2023.08.15 12:33

Are you about Metatrader-Demo server of MT5?
This MetaQuotes-Demo server is not used for trading; it is used to update MT5 to the next (mostly beta) build and to test beta builds of MT5.
And the trading accounts of the brokers (demo or live/real) should be used for trading.

You need to connect to MetaQUotes-Demo server if you are the beta tester for example.

And this is about the data -

Testing trading strategies on real ticks and the explanation is on this post

Testing trading strategies on real ticks
Testing trading strategies on real ticks
  • www.mql5.com
The article provides the results of testing a simple trading strategy in three modes: "1 minute OHLC", "Every tick" and "Every tick based on real ticks" using actual historical data.

Fernando Andr Pelaez Menendez:
I am performing various backtesting using ic market data. So far it seemed to go well, but when I tried to use the real ticks data, it gave me that the quality was 35%, so looking on the internet I found that the quality of metaquotes data was 100% in real ticks.

I did different tests and it gave me totally different results to the ones I got with icmarket. I thought it was because of the difference in quality, but then I tried with "Every tick" data where icmarket shows a quality of 100%, and the results with the other data are still totally different. 

That's why my question is if they are reliable data, or if they are more reliable those of, for example, icmarket. 
Thank you very much.

If you are going to trade with some specific broker and type of account, its always better to download the MT4/5 terminal of that specific broker from their website, open a demo account with them and use their servers and historical data to test your strategy or EA.

Especially the MT5 strategy tester, downloads historical real tick data from the broker/server itself, making your results much more solid and trustworthy.

Eleni Anna Branou #:
Especially the MT5 strategy tester, downloads historical real tick data from the broker/server itself, making your results much more solid and trustworthy.

I am using their own "version" of metatrader, but when I do backtesting using real ticks, it tells me that the quality is 35%. And it looks like they have good quality data since 2021, but I need to backtest since at least 2017.

Fernando Andr Pelaez Menendez #:

I am using their own "version" of metatrader, but when I do backtesting using real ticks, it tells me that the quality is 35%. And it looks like they have good quality data since 2021, but I need to backtest since at least 2017.

The Metaquotes default MT5 terminal is not appropriate for trustworthy backtesting, I suggested you to download the MT4/5 terminal of a specific broker from their website, open a demo account with them and use their servers and historical data to test your strategy or EA.

The MT5 strategy tester, downloads historical real tick data from the broker/server itself, making your results much more solid and trustworthy.

Even when downloading data from a broker, it's best to use a real account for that. in ICMarkets I have noticed significant drifts between test/live server data.

Emerson Gomes #:
Even when downloading data from a broker, it's best to use a real account for that. in ICMarkets I have noticed significant drifts between test/live server data.

I've noticed it too, but that's not my problem. 

Doing backtesting with real account, when I try to do the modeling "based on real ticks" the result gives me a "History quiality" of 35%, because I try to test since 2017 and icmarket gives me good data since 2016/06/24.

My question is how do I do or where do I get more data for my backtesting.

Reason: