broker quotation VS MT5 ?

Hello everyone, I hope you are well

I am a beginner on this fabulous MT5 platform, however I have a question about the origin of the flows (price quotation),

- On the demo account what is the source of the feeds (quotation price) that the MT5 software uses?

- And I suppose that when I am connected with my account to a broker then it is not the same MT5 feed but the broker's feeds, correct me if I am wrong?

So I'm also wondering about backtesting, should it be done with the demo accounts? Or is it possible with the broker's account?

I'm sorry if my question sounds silly 😊 but it's a question and I'm a beginner on MT5 😊

MetaQuotes-Demo account is used to update MT5 to the new build and to test beta builds of MT5.
And the trading accounts of the brokers (demo or live/real) should ne used in any other cases (backtesting, trading, etc).

Because the trading accounts, money for trading, the price on the chart (quotation), and time of the price on the chart, the symbols to trade and so on -
all of the them are related to the broker only.

It means that brokers may have the different quotes/data (and the quotes/data are not the same for different brokers).
It may be same situation with demo and live/real account: different quotes.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Could this be a Bug in MT5?

Sergey Golubev, 2019.11.19 06:12

The data/quotes (and the quality of the data/quotes) are related to the brokers only.
Many traders are selecting the broker based on the quality of the data the broker is proposing (the data/quotes may be slightly different from one broker to an other one within one trading platform for example).

------------

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Every tick VS Every tick based on real ticks AND latency on StrategyTester (backtesting)

Sergey Golubev, 2017.04.25 18:24

---------------------

Of course, if you are planning to trade EA with some broker so you will use broker's data/tick. If we do not like their data so we may change the broker with more good data.

And the data/ticks are not unified for the different brokers ... For example, there are some indicators (iTrend for Brainwashing system for example) which are showing the different results with the different brokers.

---------------------

If some person will tell me the following: "I have profitable EA."
I will ask him: "Which broker for" (is it profitable for which broker?)
If he will reply: "Any broker" so he is using martingale strategy, or he is trading on W1 timeframe with the trades opened once per half a year for example (because the performance of EA should not be same with differet brokers and/or trading accounts).

---------------------

So, if you want to backtest EA with the price quotes provided by broker (for trading account) so it should be tested on MT5 with
"Every tick based on real ticks" - look at this article.
My explanation is on this post

Testing trading strategies on real ticks
Testing trading strategies on real ticks
  • www.mql5.com
The article provides the results of testing a simple trading strategy in three modes: "1 minute OHLC", "Every tick" and "Every tick based on real ticks" using actual historical data.

@ Sergey Golubev

tks you for your clear answers, but do you know wich flows MT5 they use when we are connected to a MetaQuote Demo account ? I mean what is the source of MT5 flows ? I don't think MT5 offers them information feeds because they're not brokers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Best Reguards,
ZeroCafeine 😊

ZeroCafeine #:

@ Sergey Golubev

tks you for your clear answers, but do you know wich flows MT5 they use when we are connected to a MetaQuote Demo account ? I mean what is the source of MT5 flows ? I don't think MT5 offers them information feeds because they're not brokers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Best Reguards,
ZeroCafeine 😊

MetaQuotes demo account may use their own source of the feeds because this MetaQuotes-Demo account should not be used for trading and for backtesting (it is mainly used to test beta versions/builds of Metatrader). So, it may have their own source (compare with the brokers for example).

But I do not know the details sorry ...

tks you @ Sergey Golubev 🙂

ZeroCafeine #:
tks you @ Sergey Golubev 🙂

With most of the brokers I've used, the real money accounts will have slightly different price data to the demo accounts; you can see it just by looking at a few m1 charts. So I would recommend finding a trustworthy broker (choosing a broker is it's own big complicated thing) and signing up for a live account (you don't have to fund it) so you can backtest using the actual price data. Backtesting is also far from simple. You could spend your entire life studying backtesting; and that doesn't even include developing the strategy.

You don't know what you're getting yourself into :P

It's not too late to turn back

Reason: