EAs and Windows 11 os updates as well as driver updates.

About a week ago updated OS as well as updated few drivers on my laptop such as video, wifi, bluetooth.

After loading MT5profile which worked before update noticed that it no longer works. Attempted to attach EA to the chart to no avail on MT5. 2 EAs in fact stopped working with zero activations left on both.

Same happened an hour ago on second laptop. Updated OS to latest version of windows 11 through native windows update functionality. Then went to intel driver update app and it told me i need to update intel graphics driver, killer network suite as well as bluetooth. Update finished started MT5 loaded profile and both of my EAs no longer work and even a week ago they had 5 activations now i see 0 for both.

I... for so many years using MT4/5 have not yet encountered this issue. At some point if it continues for multiple EA it could become a veeeeeeeery expensive issue. I'd rather not see it go that far.

Does anyone know of a potential workarounds or solutions? How is it only now after soo many years using MT4/5 started encountering this. Did mT4/5 team made some changes that made MT5 (no longer use MT4) sensitive to OS changes? I understand firmware changes as i always had to reactivate substantial number of NT8 indicators after firmware update but OS and drivers? I shouldn't.

Anyways very curious as to the input from mql5 community as more profiles i will attempt to load more expensive (depends on EAs) this issue may become.

Eagerly awaiting feedback. Alex.

p.s. will hold off on upgrading windows to version 22h2 on third laptop in fear of "wrecking" my EAs there as well. Dont know what is going on..

p.s.2 ok, did some additional research and still confused. When i update windows this... shouldn't change my hardware id. It doesnt for ninjatrader 8, only firmware update does. So why updating windows 11 to 22H2 wrecking my activations? Appears something is not right on your end mql5/mt4/mt5 teams. This needs to get fixed. It doesn't appear im the only one with these issues. In my case tho with an army of EA activations getting wiped out this is an extremely serious issue as we're talking very expensive and may be prohibitively expensive if i'll lose majority of my EA activations to this. Please look into it on priority. Appreciate it.

Code profiling - Developing programs - MetaEditor Help
Code profiling - Developing programs - MetaEditor Help
  • www.metatrader5.com
Profiling means collecting program parameters during its execution. During a profiling, the execution time and the number of calls of individual...

Alexander Dubenskiy:About a week ago updated OS as well as updated few drivers on my laptop such as video, wifi, bluetooth ... ok, did some additional research and still confused. When i update windows this... shouldn't change my hardware id. It doesnt for ninjatrader 8, only firmware update does. So why updating windows 11 to 22H2 wrecking my activations? Appears something is not right on your end mql5/mt4/mt5 teams. This needs to get fixed. It doesn't appear im the only one with these issues. In my case tho with an army of EA activations getting wiped out this is an extremely serious issue as we're talking very expensive and may be prohibitively expensive if i'll lose majority of my EA activations to this. Please look into it on priority. Appreciate it.

Unfortunately, MetaQuotes Market product licensing is dependant are too many things, invalidating activations at the smallest of changes, even the running of the terminal with "administrator" privileges will invalidate it.

Many have complained about this but MetaQuotes simply shifts the blame onto Microsoft's updating system (as per posts in the Russian section).

Previously MetaQuotes would offer extra activations when there were major updates to Windows, but they have stopped doing that.

The conclusion, is that they show no interest in correcting the issue, so many sellers have opted to simply offer many activations on the product to compensate.

This is however, not the ideal, as having many activations, also allows unscrupulous buyers to abuse the system.

So, the sad truth is, that there is no real solution.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Unfortunately, MetaQuotes Market product licensing is dependant are too many things, invalidating activations at the smallest of changes, even the running of the terminal with "administrator" privileges will invalidate it.

Many have complained about this but MetaQuotes simply shifts the blame onto Microsoft's updating system (as per posts in the Russian section).

Previously MetaQuotes would offer extra activations when there were major updates to Windows, but they have stopped doing that.

The conclusion, is that they show no interest in correcting the issue, so many sellers have opted to simply offer many activations on the product to compensate.

This is however, not the ideal, as having many activations, also allows unscrupulous buyers to abuse the system.

So, the sad truth is, that there is no real solution.

Wow appreciate the clarify. Hmmm not very conducive to mql5 business operations very strange behavior. May have no choice but slowly starting to make long term plans exiting mt4/5 ecosphere and starting research alternatives as losing my ea activations from purchases done over many many years could be the deal breaker. Meanwhile may need to move to multi cpu windows server 2012 vpses with updates turned off.

in genuine shock that it appears mql5 doesn’t want or doesn’t care about fixing it. Don’t they care about their core business operations? Hmmmmmm… Alright, thank you very much for the reply. Have a lot of homework to do on my end.

hello, same issue here

I am using a VPS and decided to upgrade the resources (increase in RAM, CPUs) there was no actual change in that it was the same VPS, not a new installation on a different machine. As a result I needed to reinstall all of my EAs and lost an activation. I have previously had a similar issue, that after a Windows update the installed EAs had just "disappeared" (I could see them on MT4/MT5 but could not install them/attach them to a chart) .
on both occasions I then needed to reinstall the EAs. so.. i lost 2 activations for every EA in total just as a result of a Windows update/System upgrades on the same system. I don't think this is right.
I had raised the issue on MQL.com support but was told that they can't do anything about this. :(

Bluetradissimo #:

hello, same issue here

I am using a VPS and decided to upgrade the resources (increase in RAM, CPUs) there was no actual change in that it was the same VPS, not a new installation on a different machine. As a result I needed to reinstall all of my EAs and lost an activation. I have previously had a similar issue, that after a Windows update the installed EAs had just "disappeared" (I could see them on MT4/MT5 but could not install them/attach them to a chart) .
on both occasions I then needed to reinstall the EAs. so.. i lost 2 activations for every EA in total just as a result of a Windows update/System upgrades on the same system. I don't think this is right.
I had raised the issue on MQL.com support but was told that they can't do anything about this. :(

The activation is per software and per hardware, and per system configuration.
It means: the activation is used in case of some hardware was added or changed, or some version of Windows was changed, or system configuration was changed.
What is system configuration? -

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Product activation crashes

Rashid Umarov , 2021.06.03 09:42

In the Windows operating system, different authorization methods provide different system configurations:

1. Authorization by a regular user

2. Authorization by the administrator

3. Authorization via remote access (even if one of the above two accounts is selected)

Therefore, each of these cases requires separate product activation, even if the Windows version has not changed and there has been no hardware update. Check how you log in.

read this summary post for details.

Sergey Golubev #:

The activation is per software and per hardware, and per system configuration.
It means: the activation is used in case of some hardware was added or changed, or some version of Windows was changed, or system configuration was changed.
What is system configuration? -

read this summary post for details.

hmmm.

as mentioned before, one activation for every EA lost as a result of a Windows update (Windows Server 2012 update), another activation lost for every EA  as a result of the VPS provider adding more RAM to the system.

there was NO  change in Authorisation/login method, I always login the same way, as Administrator.

I accept you do not want people to "misuse" the system, for example buy an EA and install it on multiple PCs of their " friends". but in my situation, this was not the case, only Windows update and System upgrade using for example the same Windows licence/same authorisation. (as per post by Rashid U)  then leading to having to lose another activation.
So I feel that the "activation counter" should be reset by plus 1.

glad i saw this post before spending big money on EA. The issue with license is not going to help developers, cause nobody in right mind is going to be be looking forward to shopping in market with licensing nightmare. People are upgrading their computer and changing configuration regularly .

This is a classic case of meta quotes found a solution that works for them and is pain for those who pay, so they stuck with it.

How is anybody gona spend big money on mt5 EA after reading this.

<Deleted>

@JamesWoods #: glad i saw this post before spending big money on EA. The issue with license is not going to help developers, cause nobody in right mind is going to be be looking forward to shopping in market with licensing nightmare. People are upgrading their computer and changing configuration regularly. This is a classic case of meta quotes found a solution that works for them and is pain for those who pay, so they stuck with it. How is anybody gona spend big money on mt5 EA after reading this. <Deleted>
Many sellers resolve the issue by providing a greater number of activations to compensate. Look at the activation count on a product. If it is an expensive one, ask the seller if they can increase the number of activations before you buy it.

Fernando Carreiro #:
Many sellers resolve the issue by providing a greater number of activations to compensate. Look at the activation count on a product. If it is an expensive one, ask the seller if they can increase the number of activations before you buy it.

As the price you pay for EA increase some over 10k , i am sure you can understand if folks get cold feet as result of the license instability. And MT5 is hard enough to manage for new user like myself given all the responsibilities users has to deal with regards vps etc.  As new user, i am dealing with as much technical issues as i am trading , and to add a license system that works like quick sand to that is recipe for loss of money on a bad day.

Cause in my case i usually have around 500 positions on about 6 terminals , when things go wrong &?#*£""#

i hope meta quotes updates the license rules  cause i think the guys with products worth over 20k and their potential customers can understand best. 

thanks for the tip on activations , that should give me confidence to buy at least the cheaper products.

cheers

@JamesWoods #:As the price you pay for EA increase some over 10k , i am sure you can understand if folks get cold feet as result of the license instability. And MT5 is hard enough to manage for new user like myself given all the responsibilities users has to deal with regards vps etc.  As new user, i am dealing with as much technical issues as i am trading , and to add a license system that works like quick sand to that is recipe for loss of money on a bad day. Cause in my case i usually have around 500 positions on about 6 terminals , when things go wrong &?#*£""# i hope meta quotes updates the license rules  cause i think the guys with products worth over 20k and their potential customers can understand best. thanks for the tip on activations , that should give me confidence to buy at least the cheaper products. cheers

In my humble opinion, if you have 10-20K to buy an EA, you should rather invest that in getting a dedicated high-quality software developer to make EAs for you according to your specifications (with source code), instead of buying "black boxes" over which you have no control.

Bluetradissimo #:

hmmm.

as mentioned before, one activation for every EA lost as a result of a Windows update (Windows Server 2012 update), another activation lost for every EA  as a result of the VPS provider adding more RAM to the system.

there was NO  change in Authorisation/login method, I always login the same way, as Administrator.

I accept you do not want people to "misuse" the system, for example buy an EA and install it on multiple PCs of their " friends". but in my situation, this was not the case, only Windows update and System upgrade using for example the same Windows licence/same authorisation. (as per post by Rashid U)  then leading to having to lose another activation.
So I feel that the "activation counter" should be reset by plus 1.

This is the explanation from MQ:

Make sure that nothing flies after updating Windows 10!

Renat Fatkhullin , 2017.05.13 20:13

Here the question must be asked to Microsoft - why does Microsoft put every major update as a new OS. And Microsoft puts it as a new, just look at the residual Windows, old directories and a bunch of other garbage.

Some fanatic does it for them, killing licensing systems of tens of thousands of programs around the world. Yes, it certainly kills - no need to watch a special case of your computer.

And this is the explanation from admins (just in case someone will complain about activation losing):

EA suddenly broken

Rashid Umarov, 2019.05.27 19:08

Hello,

Each product has at least 5 activations that can be used in case of hardware failure, re-installation of OS, installation on a wrong PC. That is enough for a normal personal use.

In case there is a huge Windows update coming, we add an additional activation for all purchased products beforehand. We don't add activations personally - they are not provided, and it is not possible physically.

Example: Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) causes saved MetaTrader passwords to become invalid

Windows 10

MetaQuotes , 2020.12.26 21:49

To compensate for the inconvenience with reinstallations and relocations, at least 5 activations are initially given.

This is exactly a compensation backlog, and not 5 guaranteed devices under any conditions.

Reason: