Fractals, fractal structures, their graphic images + Canvas - page 9

Aleksey Ivanov:
If so, has anyone done the science, at least the supporting statistics. Or is it like reading tarot cards.

like fortune-telling, the original source is Mandelbrot... he himself wrote that it's impossible to predict

but skilled people like almazov are parasitic on the subject

to be fair, these charts do look like real market charts and are actually (sometimes) good predictors.

As for statistics of such predictions, there seems to be none.

Maxim Dmitrievsky:

but the fractal fractal is a fractal fractal.

It's a matter of faith. Besides, there could be nothing left of the fractal function. In fact, the head and the double shoulders. Here we have double shoulders, but surely there is a function with single shoulders too, so why should we call everything fractal?

And more often there is triple leverage (only without head) when price breaks a level.

Maxim Romanov:

Suggest how to do this. I have suggested this option, but it is the problem of tracking density, if it needs to be tracked at all, that might work. I still haven't implemented it, because I haven't finished the full theory yet. I'm afraid it might just end up in a messy heap.

No, this is something I don't understand.

In VisSim, I'm just building histograms of prices and increments. Trouble is, they're static histograms, like a snapshot. But I need dynamics - a cartoon. I don't know how to do it yet. With Koldun, I could clearly see on the charts - how the tail "floats away", how the centre of probability distribution moves over time. We need to do the same thing...

Maxim Dmitrievsky:

like fortune-telling, the original source is Mandelbrot... he himself wrote that it's impossible to predict

but craftsmen like almazov are parasitic on the subject

(1) to be fair, these charts look like real market charts and are actually (sometimes) good predictors

as for the statistics of such predictions, there seems to be none.

Yes, there is an element of (1) mystery, which is interesting. What if there is something? Diamond must have made a fortune on the subject.

Dmitry Fedoseev:

Who believes what they believe. Besides, there may be nothing left of the fractal there. In fact, the head and the double shoulders. Here we have double shoulders, but surely there is a function with single shoulders too, so why call everything fractal?

And more often there is triple leverage (only without the head) when the price breaks through the level.

And then some other features of fractals appear. For example, the scale invariance - smaller sub-waves of the pattern are similar (self-affine?) to larger ones

it is also possible to see the analogues of multifractals on the market, when the same formations come one after another

question of interpretation of the phenomenon

and, well, there's no denying that markets are random and described by fractional Brownian motion. So it's a bit mind boggling, it's kind of random and kind of not really

Maxim Dmitrievsky:

Well, there are other properties of fractals. For example, scale invariance - smaller sub-waves of the pattern are similar (self-affine?) to larger ones

it is also possible to see the analogues of multifractals on the market, when the same formations come one after another

question of interpretation of the phenomenon.

ah, well, there's no denying that markets are random and described by fractional Brownian motion. So it's a bit mind boggling, it's kind of random and kind of not really

It's not a fact that this is implemented there.

What I have noticed is that when a topic gets an explanation, traders' interest in it drops. You need an unsolvable riddle with no logical explanation.

Call it a fractal, followed by some unknown chaos theory, names likeWeierstrass-Mandelbrot... that's it - success is assured.

But call it by its proper names - that zigzag and sizes of its segments are compared with a benchmark or something like that... and that's it, no public interest.

Dmitry Fedoseev:

It is not a fact that it is implemented there.

It doesn't matter, as long as it is available on the real markets

And what to do/get rid of it, let everyone decide for himself

Maxim Dmitrievsky:

Well, there are other properties of fractals. For example, scale invariance - smaller sub-waves of the pattern are similar (self-affine?) to larger ones

it is also possible to see analogues of multifractals on the market, when the same formations come one after another

question of interpretation of the phenomenon

(1) ah, well all this does not deny that markets are random and described by fractional Brownian motion. So it's a bit mind blowing, it seems to be random and it seems to be not quite

(1) it seems to me that the chaotically changing (by fractional Brownian motion) state is squeezed into some configuration of a potential well, which (configuration) introduces statistically elements of order.

Dmitry Fedoseev:

What I have noticed is that when a topic gets an explanation, traders' interest in it drops. You need an unsolvable riddle with no logical explanation.

Call it a fractal, followed by some unknown chaos theory, names likeWeierstrass-Mandelbrot... that's it - success is assured.

But call it by its proper names - that zigzag and sizes of its segments are compared with a benchmark or something like that... and that's it, no public interest.

Elliott Waves are about the same thing... about the zigzag it is not clear at all what is meant. Naturally, no theoretical description means no interest.

Reason: