MetaTrader 5 on Intel Xeon Phi 7250 - 272 cores in one computer - page 3

I remember Renat wrote about this device a few years ago. First enthusiastically, then critically. But I must admit that it is a great toy:

Forum on Trading, Automated Trading Systems and Strategy Testing

We are launching the MQL5 Cloud Network!

Renat Fatkhullin, 2014.10.24 13:43

What I personally think about Xeon Phi in the mass market - they don't stand a chance:

1. A pair of server CPUs with a total of 40 cores (20 cores each) easily beat all versions of Xeon Phi in speed, frequency (Phi is all 1Ghz there), memory and power consumption

Just look at real benchmarks to see 2.5x advantage over a weak single Xeon processor

2. Phi doesn't stand a chance in terms of simplicity of code writing - it's not the base cores and has special access to them.

Yes, in comparison with OpenCL/CUDA it is a huge difference in ease of writing. But no, it will not work for the masses.

3. By specialized power, pure GPU processors are way ahead of the curve.

If a task strictly requires computational power and has a chance to be vectorized, it can be squeezed out of GPU cards.

4. Totally evil prices.

Few people would dare to pay $2000 - $3000 for a completely illiquid piece of hardware with no chance of normal use.

Most importantly, there has been no development of Xeon Phi in the last 2 years. Everything died on testbeds and test supercomputers.

It was an interesting attempt, but Intel botched it. It was not able to make a breakthrough, because the usual usual pros have already caught up from the bottom.

For example, we have a working blade Dell M1000 has 320 cores Xeon E5-2670v2 (2.5Ghz to 3.3Ghz) with 2 terabytes of RAM. We can calculate anything on it without any stress.

Aleksandr Volotko:

It's not interesting to look at, it's interesting to use. But it's expensive, the stones alone cost $10K, plus memory and other hardware, and not only that.

But I would load it up to the max, there is something to count.

The stone is 2500 euros, the server in its entirety cost 5,500 euros in total.

On the level of an ordinary Xeon server.

Nikolay Moskalev:

it looks like we are talking about a server room rack with 4 Intel Xeon Phi 7250

68 х 4 = 272

No, these are not PCIe slots, but one chip on the motherboard.

It looks like a normal processor.

Vasiliy Sokolov:

I remember Renat wrote about this device a few years ago. First enthusiastically, then critically. But you have to admit, it really is a great toy:

Everything written above for 2014 is true.

Intel took into account the factual unsuitability of the first generation of Phi processors (separate device, separate control and programming scheme) and released the next generation of Xeon Phi.

The Xeon Phi can now be used as a regular processor.

Yes, the cores are still weak in frequency, but the result is already good. Especially since Xeon Phi continues to evolve and there are already more interesting processors of the x205 family: https://ark.intel.com/products/series/132784/Intel-Xeon-Phi-Processor-x205-Product-Family.

They also have virtualisation support enabled (our 7250 does not have it, the x200 family) which will dramatically improve the cluster systems and hypervisors.

Intel® Xeon Phi™ Processor x205 Product Family Product Specifications
Intel® Xeon Phi™ Processor x205 Product Family Product Specifications
  • ark.intel.com
Intel® Xeon Phi™ Processor x205 Product Family product listing with links to detailed product features and specifications.

Renat Fatkhullin:

The stone is 2,500 euros, the server in its entirety cost 5,500 euros in total.

At the level of an ordinary Xeon server.

Thank you for the information. And what is the performance index of agents on this stone?

1.49 GHz, small by modern standards of course, but a full load of 272 cores, that's the equivalent of 405.28 GHz, just unreal performance. It's great that the MT5 can make the most of all the cores.

I have an i5-5200U processor, 2 cores with 2 threads each, that is 4 logical cores. And one of the logical cores for some reason does not work when optimizing EAs. I don't know why it happens, but nevertheless the optimization speed is still good.

Renat Fatkhullin:

Many people will probably be interested to take a look:

If you have some free time and wish, you can try to test and optimize your multi-symbol Expert Advisor on this machine.

It will be interesting to see the results:Analysis of test results and optimization in the MetaTrader 5 strategy tester

Maxim Romanov:
272 threads is awesome! I even know what to load it with in the future!

Haven't crawled in here in a while. It comes back to me from the old days. Around 2000 Intel announced that it would release a 15GHz CPU. Being a guy with electronics development experience, I immediately said it was crap. The future was multi-core systems. Well, they didn't have multiprocessors back then.

The funny thing is, I was right. 15 gigahertz on silicon is impossible to achieve, just for simple microchips.

Renat, but I take it these 272 are not supported yet?

Alexey Volchanskiy:

Renat, but I understand these 272 are not supported yet?

The new build will have full support for NUMA systems with full utilisation and proper balancing. All cores are being used.

Screenshot of the current beta.

Alexey Volchanskiy:

Haven't crawled in here in a while. It comes back to me from the old days. Around 2000 Intel announced that it would release a 15GHz CPU. Being a guy with electronics development experience, I immediately said it was bullshit. The future was multi-core systems. Well, they didn't have multiprocessors back then.

The funny thing is, I was right. 15 gigahertz is impossible on silicon, just for simple chips.

Renate, but I take it those 272s aren't supported yet?

Exactly.

But this has troubled inquiring minds in the past too. Multiprocessor operating systems were born a long time ago, before Intel Apple with Microsoft came along.

One of the first of these systems was the ILLIAC IV developed at the University of Illinois MBS, it was somewhere in the 70s.

p.s.

I should add that I was involved in the development of multiprocessor systems at the end of the 80's, for the control system, Apple and Microsoft were already there but of course not looking in that direction.

Reason: