What to do with unprofitable positions? - page 8

Vladimir Karputov:

It probably depends on the timeframe used: for example on M1 there will be a lot of trades and you can close at the end/beginning of the day, on larger timeframes there will be less trades and therefore you will need to close less often.

By the way, here is a video for a linear regression indicator: you can also use it for a channel. You can even detect the direction of the channel:

Here, it turns out how useful it is to look at previously published: it turns out that indicator buffers (top and middle) were mixed up in places and in addition in the "Data Window" window there were no names of buffers. I made a change: the buffers are now positioned correctly: top, middle, bottom

i-Regr

Alexey Volchanskiy:

I would do it through conditional compilation.

What does it do?

Alexey Volchanskiy:

I would do via conditional compilation.

You need to check the numbers of indicator buffers. Otherwise, besides getting a handle, you'll need to rewrite the function of getting data from the indicator as well.

Alexey Volchanskiy:

You have to connect your channel

Version 1.003 conditional compilation for two different indicators

Indicator selection block:

//+------------------------------------------------------------------+
//|                                                                  |
enum ENUM_INDICATORS
  {
   automatic_channel_MT5   = 0,  // Automatic channel MT5 
   hodrick_prescott_channel= 1,  // Hodrick-Prescott Channel
  };
input ENUM_INDICATORS InpIndi    = automatic_channel_MT5;
//| Expert initialization function                                   |
int OnInit()
  {
//--- create handle of the indicator iCustom
   string parameters="";
#ifndef  parameters/*==automatic_channel_MT5*/
   switch(InpIndi)
     {
      case  automatic_channel_MT5:
         parameters="Market\\Automatic channel MT5";
         break;
      case hodrick_prescott_channel:
         parameters="Downloads\\vhpchannel_02";
         break;
      default:
         //---
         break;
     }
#endif
    handle_iCustom=iCustom(m_symbol.Name(),Period(),parameters);
//--- if the handle is not created 
   if(handle_iCustom==INVALID_HANDLE)

Please check the call for getting indicator values: I am polling the UP (buffer number "0") and DOWN (buffer number 2) lines (for setting Sell Limit and Buy Limit respectively):

double price_ceiling=iCustomGet(handle_iCustom,0,0);        // потолок канала
      double price_floor=iCustomGet(handle_iCustom,2,0);          // пол канала
      if(price_ceiling==0.0 || price_floor==0.0)
        {
         PrevBars=iTime(1);
         return;
        }
      m_trade.BuyLimit(volume_buy,price_floor);
      m_trade.SellLimit(volume_sell,price_ceiling);

ds

Vladimir Karputov:

Version 1.003 conditional compilation for two different indicators

Indicator selection block:

Please check the call for getting indicator values: I am polling the UP (buffer number "0") and DOWN (buffer number 2) lines (for setting Sell Limit and Buy Limit respectively):

ds

I overdid it: #ifndef is not needed here at all. It's just enough to leave the switch.

Alexey Volchanskiy:

and then throw them all away laughing? ))

There's another option:

1) We make a contract with a cellular operator for a "Toll Number".
2) Taking a loan from a bank, indicating that the number is for communication.
3) We do not pay the credit.
4) Collectors call your toll-free number around the clock.
5) Grab the dough in a shovel.

)))

For the channel strategy (Sell Limit, But Limit) the unresolved issue is a lingering trend: during a lingering trend there is an accumulation of losing positions

accumulation of unprofitable positions

So far I am fighting with such positions in one way: when a new position is opened (in this case it will be SELL) I close ALL opposite positions (ALL BUY).

khorosh:

There's also this option:

1) You sign a contract with a pay-as-you-go operator.
2) Get a loan from a bank stating that number as our phone number.
3) Don't pay the credit.
4) Collectors call your toll-free number around the clock.
5) Grab the dough in a shovel.

)))

In 2005 a girl I knew managed to take out a loan of $40000. At that time Bulgaria was going to join the EU and the real estate was very cheap. She tried to persuade me to leave with her, she was not going to repay the credit.

She wanted to buy a house there and rent it out to tourists. And she got the credit because she was a teacher )) That's how teachers are.

Vladimir Karputov:
What to do with unprofitable positions?

Let profits grow and REDUCE losses!!!

REDEASE THE LOSS!!! Close, exit....

There is
no need to "work" with losses or do anything, decent or not, as soon as you realise you have made a mistake with your prediction (which is absolutely normal, typical) exit or roll over, losses are not porridge or a chair, you cannot "fix" or somehow correct the position APOSTERIORI, only wind it up, remember the lesson.

Vasily Perepelkin:

Let the profits grow and REDUCE the losses!!!

CUT THE LOSSES!!! Close, get out...

There is
no need to "work" with losses or do anything, decent or not so decent, as soon as you realise you have made a mistake with your prediction (which is absolutely normal, typical) exit or roll over, a loss is not porridge or a chair, you cannot "fix" or somehow correct the position APOSTERIORI, only wind it up, remember the lesson.
The problem here is that it is not possible to determine exactly where the boundary is, when losses should be closed. After all, literally 1 pip after closing the price can reverse and the losing trade could make a profit. This is the situation that always kills you and you get discouraged. Apparently we should use the statistics of average trend (no-loss) movement by a pair. And taking this into account the decision to close the loss. More precisely, taking into account statistics the probability of the price reversal after N points.
Reason: