OpenCL: internal implementation tests in MQL5 - page 8

papaklass:
What cards are the internal tests on, if not commercially available? Will there be any recommendations on your part on the cards?

On what we have in the offices + specially purchased ATI HD 7970, NVIDIA GTX580.

Recommendations will be after our tests, but most likely they will coincide with other publicly available comparisons.

We have decided to support OpenCL 1.0 as well in order to allow using "old" cards in calculations where no double maths is required. The MQL5 program will be able to specify the desired OpenCL version using the #property opencl flags

Ordered components for a new car, so that's kind of an "upgrade" :) // Otherwise, more than half of the accessories would have had to be upgraded anyway.

557953 Power Supply THERMALTAKE EVO Blue W0308RE, 750W, 140mm, black, retail3 620 rubles

657928 PCI-E 2.1 HIS HD6930 IceQ X, H693QN1G2M, 1Gb, GDDR5, Ret 5 680 rubles

633112 HDD HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3030ALA630, 3TB, HDD, SATA III6 960 rubles

593432 AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Processor, SocketAM3, oem [HDE00ZFBK6DGR] 6 250 rubles

616271 ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX SocketAM3+ motherboard, ATX, Ret 5,430 rubles

629175 CORSAIR Vengeance CML16GX3M4A1600C9B DDR3 memory module - 4x 4GB, 1600, DIMM, Ret 3,730 rubles

I'm asking the experts: if I've done something wrong again, please correct it urgently. I still have one more day to correct my order.

Renat:

We decided to support OpenCL 1.0 as well, to allow the use of "old" cards in calculations where double maths is not required. MQL5 program will be able to specify desired OpenCL version via #property opencl flags

Thank you. I will postpone the upgrade for now. It would be interesting to know the difference in tests between 1.0 and 1.*.

MetaDriver:

Should we look at Opterons? - Although, of course, they will be more expensive and harder to buy.

MetaDriver:

Ordered components for a new car, so that's kind of an "upgrade" :) // Otherwise, more than half of the hardware would have had to be upgraded anyway.

......... if I screwed up again -- fix it right away. I still have one more day to correct the order.

I think we're good. The power supply can hold 2 graphics cards (for future reference). Where is the cooling for the CPU? The memory modules are high due to the heatsinks, which may prevent some coolers from fitting to the cpu.

MetaDriver:

Ordered some accessories for a new car, so it's a bit of an 'upgrade' :) // Otherwise, more than half of the accessories would have had to be upgraded anyway.

557953 Power Supply THERMALTAKE EVO Blue W0308RE, 750W, 140mm, black, retail3 620 rubles

657928 PCI-E 2.1 HIS HD6930 IceQ X, H693QN1G2M, 1Gb, GDDR5, Ret 5 680 rubles

633112 HDD HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3030ALA630, 3TB, HDD, SATA III6 960 rubles

593432 AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Processor, SocketAM3, oem [HDE00ZFBK6DGR] 6 250 rubles

616271 ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX SocketAM3+ motherboard, ATX, Ret 5 430 rubles

629175 CORSAIR Vengeance CML16GX3M4A1600C9B DDR3 memory module 4x 4GB, 1600, DIMM, Ret 3,730 rubles

Seems to be pretty good. Only one thing: the motherboard has PCI-E x16 2.0 and the video is PCI-E x16 2.1. It will work. You can plug a couple more videocards into the motherboard, but the PSU won't take it.

joo:
Maybe I should take a look at Opterons? - Although, of course, it will be more expensive and harder to buy.

Um... yes, it's a little more expensive... Six-Core Opteron Model 2431 2.4GHz HyperTransport 4.8 GT/s ..., 29373 roubles.

About five and a half times. :) // I'm not ready yet... Maybe later... :) /// Jokingly

No joke: with this money you can buy six X6 1090 processors whose total performance is.... I think everything is clear.

By the way, AMD stopped taking orders for Phenom's and is going to terminate shipments by the end of 2Q 2012.

I don't know what they are guided by (probably they want to promote bulldozers) but Phenoms need to be bought up urgently if anyone is interested in price/performance figures.

Which I am doing. :)

WChas:
Seems to be OK. The power supply can handle 2 video cards (that's for future reference). Where's the cooling for the processor? The memory modules are high due to the heatsinks, which might prevent some coolers from being installed on the CPU.

Yes, I've been thinking about adding another graphics card to the power supply. CPU cooling is not available yet, neither is the case. I'm thinking (for a long time) about making a home-made water cooler. I even downloaded and read some articles from the Internet. As for now, I'll probably take an inexpensive cooler, and when everything works, before overclocking I'll address water and other cooling issues.

icas:
Seems to be OK. Just one thing: the motherboard has PCI-E x16 2.0 and the video is PCI-E x16 2.1. It will work. I could plug a couple more videocards into the motherboard, but the PSU won't take it.

Shit! Missed it. It could be essential. Here's what I found on the net:

Here's a summary of what's new in PCI Express 2.1, compared to PCI Express 2.0.
Internal Error Reporting - Internal Error Reporting is now available to software code.
Atomic Operations - Atomic operations support to help distribute tasks between CPU cores and video chip-based accelerators.
Resizable BAR Capability - The ability to determine the amount of system resources allocated to devices.
Dynamic Power Allocation - The ability to programmatically manage power states.
ID-based Ordering - Reduces downtime caused by sub-optimal instruction ordering, thereby increasing performance.
Latency Tolerance Reporting - Improvements to resource allocation.
Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation - Support for more internal device functions.

These are just some of the changes in the new PCI Express version. Unfortunately, we can't verify the performance improvements over the second version of PCI-E yet - there are simply no suitable motherboards available. As soon as the opportunity arises, we will definitely check it out.

As far as performance is concerned, the difference seems to be microscopic. But the strings I've highlighted excite me, especially atomic operations.

And error handling may turn out to be a big problem. What if I don't have to bite my teeth later.

I'll have to look for an acceptable alternative...

// Thank you very much to everyone who wrote back.

// Still, my apologies for starting a personal "iron" discussion here not quite on the subject of the branch.

// I consoled only by the fact that the subtleties raised in the discussion may prove useful to other readers of the branch too.

New build is out, everything works, wow

Urain:
The new build is out, everything works, wow.

And the market ?

Mischek:
And the market?
And the market is downloading, at least the demos are downloading.
Reason: