How to fix Soft decline: EMV 3DS Authentication required

I keep getting this error when trying to top up. How do I fix?

Soft decline: EMV 3DS Authentication required

Soft decline: EMV 3DS Authentication required

Still doing it.  I wish I knew how to resolve this. I am new to MQL5 and want to make a purchase, but I can't. 

This has nothing to do with Metaquotes, MT4/MT5 or this site.

Check with your card issuer.

Greetings traders!

A little more information on this error.

From:  https://www.checkout.com/en-us/blog/post/how-and-when-to-retry-sca-related-soft-declined-transactions

Which transactions require strong customer authentication?

All electronic transactions require SCA unless the transaction is out of scope or there’s an exemption applied.

As a reminder, the main out-of-scope scenarios for remote transactions include:

• Merchant initiated transactions (MiTs): These are a large group of transactions, comprising installment payments, recurring transactions, delayed charges, no-show transactions, reauthorizations, among others. SCA may be required to set up such arrangements, mainly if initiated through a remote channel. However, once in place, merchants may initiate subsequent payments without applying SCA requirements.
    • Mail order/telephone order: Payments made by mail order or over the phone fall outside the scope of SCA.
    • One leg out: When either the card issuer, acquirer or both are outside the EEA. For example, when a card issued in Japan is used at the website of a German merchant.
    • Anonymous transactions: For example, prepaid gift cards issued without an identifiable cardholder name.

The main exemptions for remote transactions include:

• Transaction risk analysis (TRA): TRA exemptions may be applied to transactions deemed as low risk by merchants or on behalf of merchants by their PSPs that have low fraud rates due to their measures that ensure the safety of the payment service user's funds and personal data.
    • Low-value transactions: These are transactions up to €30, or equivalent in the processing currency, with a cumulative limit of €100 or five consecutive transactions.
    • Trusted beneficiary: This is also sometimes known as whitelisting. This is where the cardholder adds the payee to a list of trusted beneficiaries held by their issuer.

From the US at least, I needed to use a card tied to an actual bank, and not a traditional credit card.  Calling both entities trying to figure out what the problem was, the credit card company had no idea, and couldn't even see me attempting the transaction.

As Alain suggested, you will likely need to call the card issuing bank ahead of time to pre-authorize the transaction.

As a workaround you can attempt to make multiple smaller purchases as highlighted above to avoid the soft decline.  However, you'll probably have better luck with a bank.

Hope this helps!

~Allen

Thanks Allen!

I have tried a couple of different cards, both bank issued, but it looks like I will have to call the bank. I appreciate the gentle help with a newbie.

Alain - It is an attempt to deposit money to Metaquotes, so I don't understand how " This has nothing to do with Metaquotes."  Sorry to bother you.

3DS is that small $1 verification payment that you sometimes see. It is only made with certain types of payments, and mql.com is one of those, but not all banks will allow them to be made. mql5.com's bank is trying to verify the identity of the card holder with a real account. This is normal modern card activity, but not all banks allow it Both banks are to blame for the error, due to mql5.com bank sending the request for the small $1 payment, which then would be reversed and refunded almost immediately, and then it would make the real payment as requested by you. But the bank on the card holders side is also to blame since this has been normal activity for a couple decades now, so they should be allowing these 3DS payments by now, so you should contact your Bank and scream at them until they allow the 2 payments to go through successfully.

But i believe you can avoid these 3DS payments by makeing larger payments instead, that refers to Allen's comment above regarding the payments below 30 euros, otherwise call your bank and yell at them until they put mql5 on their "whitelist".

Revo Trades #:

3DS is that small $1 verification payment that you sometimes see. It is only made with certain types of payments, and mql.com is one of those, but not all banks will allow them to be made. mql5.com's bank is trying to verify the identity of the card holder with a real account. This is normal modern card activity, but not all banks allow it Both banks are to blame for the error, due to mql5.com bank sending the request for the small $1 payment, which then would be reversed and refunded almost immediately, and then it would make the real payment as requested by you. But the bank on the card holders side is also to blame since this has been normal activity for a couple decades now, so they should be allowing these 3DS payments by now, so you should contact your Bank and scream at them until they allow the 2 payments to go through successfully.

But i believe you can avoid these 3DS payments by makeing larger payments instead, that refers to Allen's comment above regarding the payments below 30 euros, otherwise call your bank and yell at them until they put mql5 on their "whitelist".

I call the bank that provided the card, also called Visa, neither provider is seeing the decline on this end.  

I have received the $1 dollar verification from other merchants, so my bank allows for this type of charge.

MQL5 must having an issue communicating with the bank since my card provider is not seeing the attempt to purchase.

I used the same card to make a purchase on MT4, it worked fine.  What's different between MT4 and MT5?

tume28 #:

I call the bank that provided the card, also called Visa, neither provider is seeing the decline on this end.  

I have received the $1 dollar verification from other merchants, so my bank allows for this type of charge.

MQL5 must having an issue communicating with the bank since my card provider is not seeing the attempt to purchase.

I used the same card to make a purchase on MT4, it worked fine.  What's different between MT4 and MT5?

maybe it is the amount you tried? see my previous comment and also Allen's comment. You might need to deposit a larger amount, however, it might not be possible due to the eu restrictions mentioned by Allen.

And yes, it could be Mql5's bank, as i said before, to do 3DS transaction, both banks must allow it. You may want to try contacting the service desk and ask them to tell their bank to authorise your tranaction.

I called my bank (Wells Fargo) and they say they did not decline it and they don't see the attempted transaction. I have tried multiple cards and the same message pops up -  Soft decline: EMV 3DS Authentication required  -  I don't know what to try next if the card issuer says they are not rejecting the transaction.  I tried $20 and $150.  frustrating.

tume28 #:

Let me know if you find a solution.

buynowselllater #:

Let me know if you find a solution.

like i said, contact service desk and ask them to contact their bank.

Reason: