MetaEditor ate my source code overnight!

Has anyone experienced this before,

The source code that was open in MetaEditor for the past week as i was working on it, has disappeared over night!

I opened the laptop led today only to find that the whole code is gone, it's no where on the hard drive!

The compiled file still there, but the source file is gone!

Any ideas? please away from stressing on backing up data.

Anywhere to retrieve from cache location?

This is one big bug that MetaTrader has that i came to experience unfortunately.

Maybe it's in a different folder.

Use MQL5 Storage

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Mt4 question from a newbie

Sergey Golubev, 2020.10.12 06:09

Backup all EAs, indicators, scripts, files, templates and so on (in Metatrader: File - Open Data Folder and backup everything inside MQL4 folder).

Store the login/password (master password and investor password in case you were provided by investor password) to your trading account and to your VPS.

----------------

If you know how to use the storage so you can use storage for backup (it is for MT5 but it is almost the same for MT4 for example) -

Hesham Ahmed Kamal Barakat:

Has anyone experienced this before,

The source code that was open in MetaEditor for the past week as i was working on it, has disappeared over night!

I opened the laptop led today only to find that the whole code is gone, it's no where on the hard drive!

The compiled file still there, but the source file is gone!

Anywhere to retrieve from cache location?

This is one big bug that MetaTrader has that i came to experience unfortunately.

...ever heard of version control systems?

Anonymous3 Geek: ...ever heard of version control systems?

Or system backups?

Or never use Windows sleeping option

Sergey Golubev:

Use MQL5 Storage

I couldn't figure out how to revert to a previous commit. So I switched to github desktop

Have anyone seen this line?

All replies but one are useless and didn't even read this line

unfortunately file is not in different folder nor that i have deleted it.

MetaEditor has a serious bug that causes files to be lost immidiately specially if you have an error in the code and just want to save it for later time without compiling right away.

Hope that someone from Metatrader can see this and offer any kind of help and maybe prevent this from happening in future releases.

Hesham Ahmed Kamal Barakat:

unfortunately file is not in different folder nor that i have deleted it.

MetaEditor has a serious bug that causes files to be lost immidiately specially if you have an error in the code and just want to save it for later time without compiling right away.

Hope that someone from Metatrader can see this and offer any kind of help and maybe prevent this from happening in future releases.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

MetaEditor ate my source code overnight!

Hesham Ahmed Kamal Barakat, 2020.11.16 12:26

Have anyone seen this line?

All replies but one are useless and didn't even read this line

This is the technical forum related to the money.
It means the following: no one trust anyone and no one believe in anything.
So, what you are talking is your personal situation which is not related to any other users (and it is not related to MetaQuotes company) at all.
Because (I can repeat) - no one trust anyone and no one believe in anything (and because any possible bug should be technically proven).
No proofs = no bug.

For information.

Sergey Golubev:

This is the technical forum related to the money.
It means the following: no one trust anyone and no one believe in anything.
So, what you are talking is your personal situation which is not related to any other users (and it is not related to MetaQuotes company) at all.
Because (I can repeat) - no one trust anyone and no one believe in anything (and because any possible bug should be technically proven).
No proofs = no bug.

For information.

I think all time defending policy of yours will never be beneficial to us nor to the company.

We are all dishonest until proven honest, or guilty until proven none guilty is the policy of the weeks, none innovative, against human basic rights.

Maybe we got used to thinking that way because we come from unfair living conditions.

But believe me, if we want to better ourselves and the living situations that we have, we must keep on fighting these negative thoughts.

I am not guilty until proven innocent, i am innocent until proven guilty.

So if i say this happened with me, then it = i am honest and the company should look farther into the matter.

That's if the company is a respectful one.

Again, away from all this.

My situation is simple. MetaEditor eats files over night, after closing the laptop led specially when the file has error in it when compiling and is saved for later adjusting.

Hope i said enough.