Signal Delay - only noticeable for entries, exits are received without delay

Hi,

I decided to subscribe to a signal service on MQL5.com yesterday.

I have received 3 trades so far today, all of the entry signals have been very late in arriving, 2 have been in excess of 8 minutes late, the other was 2 minutes late.

All 3 exit signals were received within a few seconds of the source exit signal.

These signals, if they were to arrive within a few seconds would all have been entered at a very similar price to the source and I would be very comfortable with a small amount of market slippage and I would be happy with my account's performance matching as closely as practical to that of the source account.

How can this be remedied? 

TraderOwl:

Hi,

I decided to subscribe to a signal service on MQL5.com yesterday.

I have received 3 trades so far today, all of the entry signals have been very late in arriving, 2 have been in excess of 8 minutes late, the other was 2 minutes late.

All 3 exit signals were received within a few seconds of the source exit signal.

These signals, if they were to arrive within a few seconds would all have been entered at a very similar price to the source and I would be very comfortable with a small amount of market slippage and I would be happy with my account's performance matching as closely as practical to that of the source account.

How can this be remedied? 

This delay is probably caused by the fact that you've put a very small value in deviation/slippage setting in Signals tab and the system doesn't copy the signal's trades if they have larger than the input slippage, so they are executed later at a worse price.

Make sure that you are using a good broker/server setup with acceptable slippage, or you may need to look for a better alternative.

Eleni Anna Branou:

This delay is probably caused by the fact that you've put a very small value in deviation/slippage setting in Signals tab and the system doesn't copy the signal's trades if they have larger than the input slippage, so they are executed later at a worse price.

Make sure that you are using a good broker/server setup with acceptable slippage, or you may need to look for a better alternative.

If that were the cause of the delay, would it not show up in the MT4 Journal differently?

The delay I'm referring to is when there is the first entry in the journal detailing the receipt of a signal, for example:

05:53:18.006 - Signal - signal provider added position #3904680 buy 0.05 EURUSD at 1.08240

This shows on the signal provider's history as being a trade which was opened at 03:45 (his time), which would've been 05:45 my time.

Surely, if the signal had arrived at 05:45 there would've been a entry in the Journal stating such.

It can't be an issue with my slippage setting, if it were, then there should never have been a successful entry, as the trade was placed on my account 4.9pips adrift from the signal provider's price

TraderOwl:

If that were the cause of the delay, would it not show up in the MT4 Journal differently?

The delay I'm referring to is when there is the first entry in the journal detailing the receipt of a signal, for example:

05:53:18.006 - Signal - signal provider added position #3904680 buy 0.05 EURUSD at 1.08240

This shows on the signal provider's history as being a trade which was opened at 03:45 (his time), which would've been 05:45 my time.

Surely, if the signal had arrived at 05:45 there would've been a entry in the Journal stating such.

It can't be an issue with my slippage setting, if it were, then there should never have been a successful entry, as the trade was placed on my account 4.9pips adrift from the signal provider's price

You didn't open the trade when you should, but you've opened it at a later time upon synchronization with the signal's open trades.

Do you use MQL5 VPS or any VPS?

Eleni Anna Branou:

You didn't open the trade when you should, but you've opened it at a later time upon synchronization with the signal's open trades.

Do you use MQL5 VPS or any VPS?

I am using a VPS.

My logs are showing no evidence of a loss of communication to my broker.

Are you suggesting this delay wouldn’t exist if I was using a MQL5 VPS?

TraderOwl:
I am using a VPS.

My logs are showing no evidence of a loss of communication to my broker.

Are you suggesting this delay wouldn’t exist if I was using a MQL5 VPS?

No, I am not saying that, but you could take a look at your terminal's journal for any disconnections with your server.

What deviation/slippage value have you put in the Signals settings tab?

Eleni Anna Branou:

No, I am not saying that, but you could take a look at your terminal's journal for any disconnections with your server.

What deviation/slippage value have you put in the Signals settings tab?

I’ve already stated my terminal’s journal (logs) show no server disconnections.

The deviation/slippage set on my signals settings is: 1.5.  This was obviously ignored on all entries!

Trade 1 - signal received 8 minutes late and a trade was placed 4.9 pips above the signal price, the closing signal was received on time and the trade was closed with a price difference of 0.3 pips

Trade 2 - signal received 2 minutes late and a trade was placed 3.4 pips above the signal price, the closing signal was received on time and the trade was closed with a price difference of 0.2 pips

Trade 3 - signal received 8 minutes late and a trade was placed 8.7 pips below the signal price, the closing signal was received on time and the trade was closed with a price difference of 0.2 pips

TraderOwl:

I’ve already stated my terminal’s journal (logs) show no server disconnections.

The deviation/slippage set on my signals settings is: 1.5.  This was obviously ignored on all entries!

Trade 1 - signal received 8 minutes late and a trade was placed 4.9 pips above the signal price, the closing signal was received on time and the trade was closed with a price difference of 0.3 pips

Trade 2 - signal received 2 minutes late and a trade was placed 3.4 pips above the signal price, the closing signal was received on time and the trade was closed with a price difference of 0.2 pips

Trade 3 - signal received 8 minutes late and a trade was placed 8.7 pips below the signal price, the closing signal was received on time and the trade was closed with a price difference of 0.2 pips

You don't understand, the deviation slippage setting is only valid for the moment/instant when the signal opens a trade and your account is trying to copy it, at a later time when the already opened trade (that you haven't copied) is copied upon synchronization with the signal's open positions the deviation/slippage setting is ignored.

Try putting the deviation/slippage at 5.0.

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/60160#comment_1691843

Eleni Anna Branou:

You don't understand, the deviation slippage setting is only valid for the moment/instant when the signal opens a trade and your account is trying to copy it, at a later time when the already opened trade (that you haven't copied) is copied upon synchronization with the signal's open positions the deviation/slippage setting is ignored.

Try putting the deviation/slippage at 5.0.

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/60160#comment_1691843

I have made the change to the deviation/slippage setting as per your recommendation.

I’ll be amazed if this fixes the issue of the delay in the signal arriving, but if it does, I’ll be very happy.

I still can’t believe there isn’t a journal entry for the signal arriving and being invalid due to market price being outside of this setting, especially as my brokers quotes are very close to the prices shown on the signal provider’s account history.

I shall confirm tomorrow, after I have seen the next few trades.

TraderOwl:

I have made the change to the deviation/slippage setting as per your recommendation.

I’ll be amazed if this fixes the issue of the delay in the signal arriving, but if it does, I’ll be very happy.

I still can’t believe there isn’t a journal entry for the signal arriving and being invalid due to market price being outside of this setting, especially as my brokers quotes are very close to the prices shown on the signal provider’s account history.

I shall confirm tomorrow, after I have seen the next few trades.

Hi @TraderOwl, did you get to the bottom of your issue?

I also have a situation where both entry and exit signals always come in between 18 -28 seconds later. The trades always get copied. In my case, I don't control the copy trading myself as it is done by the broker on their end.

But before I make a complain, I would like to know some of the technical reasons first.

I also have an identical issue! Subscribed to one signal, which on paper looks very good. But all opening trades are being delayed for 3 to 4 minutes. All closing trades are almost instant (1 sec delay).

Obviously the market moves a lot in 4 minutes, so this is not acceptable, it ruins the performance. A few seconds would be an acceptable delay.

I have the Deviation/Slippage set on the maximum allowed (5.0).

The StopLoss/TakeProfit copying is disabled.

@TraderOwl, I am extremely curious if you've solved your problem, and how?

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Bogdan

Reason: