MT5 automatic updates killing my accounts, pleeeeeeeeeeease help!

Hi,

I have about 30 instances of MT5 running on several servers (Windows Server 2016), trading 24/5 on a different account each.

The last MT5 automatic update almost crashed all my accounts, because the dialog box with the "Restart" button blocks the execution of all EAs.

That dialog should not block the execution of the whole program and all the EAs running in it!!!

Automatic updates that automatically and silently stop the execution of the trading software, that is unbelievable and should be fixed!

A simple fix would be, to make that dialog non-modal. Please MT5 developers, this is just a line of code to fix that!

Meanwhile, does anyone have a workaround for this, like disabling the automatic updates somehow?

Thank you very much!

Please, make your post on this thread (with more details about OS, and more):
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/327951
(because the admins may look at this thread for possible fixing).
Some tools do not work with new 2265 build of MT5 - how to fix?
  • www.mql5.com
This thread about how to fix some tools (indicators, EAs, scripts) which may stop working with new 2265 build The information about new build - Ne...

I mean: if it is really important for you so you should make a post on this thread https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/327951 with as much technical information (incl screenshots) as possible.
  • www.mql5.com
This thread about how to fix some tools (indicators, EAs, scripts) which may stop working with new 2265 build The information about new build - Ne...

I agree and it is important.

Nothing should ever interfere with the ongoing running trading setup.

There are no exceptions to this.

But it is also important to monitor running processes and act whenever something doesn't work properly.

Marco vd Heijden:

I agree and it is important.

Nothing should ever interfere with the ongoing running trading setup.

There are no exceptions to this.

But it is also important to monitor running processes and act whenever something doesn't work properly.

Why not make something that works 100% and not 99% in the first place before a new update release rather then throwing the problem back on the user. I would say it's a disaster and money could or was lost due to issues like this.

Then it waken up a new question - So every time a new updated occur MT5 users have to double or even triple check it for correct operations? well that just give me signs of red flags all over making the whole thing very insecure and unstable to use.

Fabian Gerold:

Hi,

I have about 30 instances of MT5 running on several servers, trading 24/5 on a different account each.

The last MT5 automatic update almost crashed all my accounts, because the dialog box with the "Restart" button blocks the execution of all EAs.

That dialog should not block the execution of the whole program and all the EAs running in it!

Automatic updates that automatically and silently stop the execution of the trading software, that is unbelievable and should be fixed!

Meanwhile, does anyone have a workaround for this, like disabling the automatic updates somehow?

Thank you very much!

TOTALLY agree!!!

Disabling updates is possible by withdrawing access rights, follow this link. But you may miss out new features.

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/305343#comment_11029139

lippmaje:

Preventing MT from updating is quite easy. You just need to withdraw Read permission for Administrator on the downloaded files. Do this after download completed and before restarting MT.

Steps:

• open folder C:\Users\<youruser>\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal
  • the download is contained in a directory named like D8275896C3BD1B4D443353853F139F66, open properties of it
  • flip to security settings, push Modify... button, a dialog with users and rights will open
  • select Administrator in the list, below a column with checkboxes is shown
  • check Read in the column to withdraw permissions, close all with ok
  • next time MT is started it will not be able to apply its update, and also it won't download more of them
  • if you want to receive updates again, revert the change on that folder

lippmaje:

Disabling updates is possible by withdrawing access rights, follow this link. But you may miss out new features.

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/305343#comment_11029139

Thank you for the heads up! A suggestion would be to disable automatic updated an enable them again during the weekend when they can't do any damage. This way you'd have the guarantee of always being up to date without putting your account at risk because of it.

Why not activate auto update when no order is running. I am sure mql5 developers can put this check.

Better still, notify the user that a new update is available. So we can update manually in our own convenience!

Fabian Gerold:

... the dialog box with the "Restart" button blocks the execution of all EAs.

That dialog should not block the execution of the whole program and all the EAs running in it!!!

Hi!

Could you please provide more details about this issue:

1) Which OS Windows is used?

2) Which Expert was running when updated popup is displayed? Will be better to tr to reproduce issues with the same expert.

3) Did you update from previous release 2190 or from some beta-version?

We can't reproduce blocking of expect execution when tried to update from 2190 / 2256 builds to 2265.

Thanks!

Reason: