06/2018 Meta Trader has stopped working with Linux

I use Linux OpenSuse
For some time now it is no longer possible to install MetaTrader 5
To solve the problem I have done an installation on an old machine (32 bits) and then I copy the folders to the new machine

This worked until yesterday, but today it does not work anymore and I can not even update when a new version comes, because if I update MetaTrader will not work anymore.

Please, does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Hello you only need the terminal.exe

When you run it for the first time it will create all other folders, except the folder with sounds.

So if you want to use audible alerts you will have to copy the sound folder separately.

Sergio Gelli:

Yes, I use an old copy of terminal.exe to continue using metaTrader
But when an update comes, everything stops, and I'd like to use a more up-to-date version.

Sergio Gelli:

Yes, I use an old copy of terminal.exe to continue using metaTrader
But when an update comes, everything stops, and I'd like to use a more up-to-date version.

A virtual machine running Windows will work on Linux. See:

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/250556#comment_7665496

Anthony Garot:

A virtual machine running Windows will work on Linux. See:

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/250556#comment_7665496

Virtual machines such as virtual box is a bad solution because it uses a lot of memory and delays sending of orders. An old terminal.exe  is better solution

Virtual machines such as virtual box is a bad solution because it uses a lot of memory

I do not consider 1GB of RAM to be a lot of memory.

and delays sending of orders.

Where did you hear that? If you need HFT execution speed, you should be on a VPS, which, by the way, is a VM. Your bottleneck is network speed, not the speed of the VM, unless, perhaps, you have truly insignificant hardware.

Virtualbox is a bad solution indeed.

Both MT4 and MT5 programs run when the exe is pulled from a widows machine.

The problem here is in using the MT Installer.

What used to work out of the box has stopped working.

They just keep changing and braking things until nothing works anymore.

Marco vd Heijden:

Virtualbox is a bad solution indeed.

If you have any evidence to support this statement, please provide it so that you do not confuse other readers of the forum.

Anthony Garot:

If you have any evidence to support this statement, please provide it so that you do not confuse other readers of the forum.

There is not one but many reasons.

It's a bad solution because it emulates operating system in operating system it consumes lots of unnecessary ram and it is prone to fatal freezes.

The overal lag is enormous when compared the the lightweight wine environment, especially on older machines.

I am very sure that many people know all of this.

Besides, you can not vm windows in Linux on a 1GB ram machine.

Marco vd Heijden:
Besides, you can not vm windows in Linux on a 1GB ram machine.

I've never tried setting up a VM on a box with 1GB physical frames. I haven't had a machine with less than 4GB RAM in over a decade, probably closer to two.

A purist/hobbyist who wants to run a MT5 on minimal hardware could choose Linux and Wine. I've done it. When I first played with MT4, which is getting towards three years ago, I ran MT4 on CentOS (yes, CentOS) with Wine, and it worked reasonably well.

When I realized that certain features weren't available, e.g. the Market tab, I made a conscious choice to switch to Windows. By that I do not mean a VM, but rather I wiped out the bare metal box and switched to Windows. I made this choice because MT5 is Windows based, and I would rather my trading experience be 100% turnkey without having to play with issues like the OP is facing. I've literally been using Linux since kernel version 1.1.92, and I prefer it over all other OS's, but I don't use a screwdriver to open a paint can.

Note: I do run a separate version of MT5 in a VM on this same box. So it's Windows client on a Windows host. The cost of allocating 1GB RAM out of 16GB doesn't make me flinch. I don't run optimizations on this VM. This VM only runs EAs. I haven't noticed any lag. It has never given a fatal freeze.

So, to sum up, I still contend that a VM is a viable solution for the right circumstance.

Lag should depend on level of virtualization. If it's fully hardware there should be none, otherwise there is emulation which gets in the way. Newer versions of VirtualBox have the capability I think, so it should be CPU and settings dependent.

VPSes probably run Hyper-V or ESXi, which are designed for full hardware virtualization. They don't emulate anything, they can't run on hardware that doesn't have the capabilities.

I also don't see the point to run two OSes for a single program. Either Linux+Wine or dual-boot.

As for OP's problem - try adding Windows libraries from winecfg or winetricks. A similar problem in the past was solved by adding winhttp.
Reason: