yes, Metatrader (and obviously pc) should be open for an EA to function, unless you are using VPS.
how does it work with VPS?
Please find the infoermation eblow which i collected about MQL5 VPS (for Metatrader 4 and Metatrader 5).
Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies
How to Start with Metatrader 5
Sergey Golubev, 2017.01.30 07:35
Just some important information and the changes related to Virtual Hosting
1. Why Virtual Hosting On The MetaTrader 4 And MetaTrader 5 Is Better Than Usual VPS
2. How to Prepare a Trading Account for Migration to Virtual Hosting
3. 64-bit Metatrader only to use Virtual Hosting:
Activations (Market with MQL5 VPS):
How to Prepare a Trading Account for Migration to Virtual Hosting
Products purchased on the Market and launched on the chart are also moved during migration. They remain completely functional, and the number of available activations is not decreased. Automatic licensing of purchased products without spending available activations is provided only for the virtual terminal.
Slava, 2016.06.28 16:25
It must be 64-bit client terminal to use virtual hosting
2016.06.28 17:25:02.177 Terminal MetaTrader 5 x64 build 1347 started (MetaQuotes Software Corp.)
MQL5.com VPS hosting
Slava, 2016.06.28 16:36
You can run multiple EAs on one virtual hosting server right now. Without additional pay.
Why do You want pay more money? There are no plans to multiply payments for virtual hosting
Or use the Metaquotes one. Top of every page is VPS
How to subscribe to VPS -
missing signal trades
Eleni Anna Branou, 2017.04.10 09:50
Hello Nashy, below are the steps for implementing MQL5 integrated VPS:
1. Go to your account details in the Navigator window of your MT4 platform, right click in your account number or name and select the option Register a Virtual Server.
2. In the Virtual Hosting Wizard window that opens, the VPS with the lower Ping, ms value is presented automatically.
3. Select your payment plan for 1, 3, 6 or 12 months and click Next.
4. Tick the: I agree to the virtual hosting service rules and the auto renewal option below (if you want) and click Next.
5. Complete your payment for the VPS Service.
6. In the next window, tick the Migrate signal: account and settings option, click End and you are done.
Can you add multiple account/terminals to the same VPS?
Depends on the type of VPS.
Some brokers offer free VPS service.
The VPS consists typically of (virtual) 1 or 2 CPU, small memory (768MB/1GB) and small HDD capacity.
On those machines, there are many limitations for you to customize your needs (no full admin access) and also the testing won't work as desired (sometimes completely disabled).
I don't recommend using such a VPS except one reason: it is free and therefore might work for 1 (also complex) EA working on 1 account.
For commercial VPS services, you will buy more CPU and RAM and you may run several MT instances (MT4 and MT5 mixed mode also possible).
Check the latency to your broker first. Ping the IP addresses before purchasing for long term.
The number of instances is highly dependent on several variables like: complexity of EAs/includes etc, other running tasks on the machine (incl. Cloud File Server), RAM utilization of Terminals, Virtual Access (RemoteDesktop, TeamViewer etc.)
You may ask Dr. Google or use the search engine in the forum - there are numerous entries for Servers and VPS.
best practice recommendation:1 instance per (powerful) CPUfor MT4, I manually limit the number of used cores manually
The mql5 VPS which is offered here?