iPhone + MT4 + Custom indicators - page 2

Hi again, everyone... Just an update. Since the iPhone 2.0 3G release, it is no longer necessary to jailbreak to accomplish the "remote desktop" control of MetaTrader 4 (or whatever broker terminal you use). Simply go to the App Store and download "Mocha VNC". For the record, there is not a native app for MetaTrader 4 client, or any other broker client, except I think there are a couple of brokers that have web apps that work through Safari, but I don't know who they are. I wouldn't recommend using the remote-desktop method (nor ANY handheld mobile device for that matter) as a vehicle for manual day trading on the go... This is simply a great way to keep an eye on things, enable/disable EAs, and enter/modify the occasional swing trade if that's your style. If you are good at scalping and confident in the integrity of the data connection from your phone to your workstation, then go for it! But I really can't recommend it in general.

While it's possible to draw trendlines, and do practically everything else you could do from the desktop, it's certainly up to your judgement to determine which tasks actually make SENSE to perform from your mobile device, whether it's through your iPhone or a native trading terminal for Windows Mobile. I certainly wouldn't open MetaEditor and modify code, backtest strategies, etc. (But isn't it cool that it's even possible to do from the palm of your hand, wherever you are?) I hope that gives you a better perspective of the benefits of the VNC setup and my opinion of mobile trading in general. Happy trading!

xmess7:
One thing that should be considered is data encryption. This can be accomplished by setting up an ssh tunnel from the iphone to the host. I am considering getting the 3G and attempting this setup. Once SSH is setup it is a very effect way of protecting any kind of data that you pass through it.

That is a very interesting and important thing to bring up... I have heard but not confirmed that AT&T's EDGE/3G networks encrypt data from phone to internet, but I hadn't given much thought to the security of data traveling from the desktop over the Internet.... If you are able to achieve the SSH tunnel from iPhone to workstation, still using VNC, could you post the instructions (assuming a jailbroken 2.0 iPhone and the desktop workstation is a native Windows XP box, not virtualized inside Mac OS as my original post indicated)? Thanks for the awesome idea.

Hi Brian420

Recently I bought iPhone 3G. I like to setup for Meta4. As I can see your last post is of July 2008. Is there anything new in this regard, ?so that I can start setting it up.

Thanks for the great work.

Everything works the same as it always has... Except you no longer need to jailbreak the iPhone before installing the VNC viewer. Just download one of the VNC apps from the iTunes store.

I have a custom indicator i use that uses arrows for the sell and buy signals. I need an alarm or alert to wake me up while I sleep. I do not know how to add an alarm/alert to this indicator. Can anybody help me with making an alarm or give a link showing me how to make this alarm?

RebateFX.com:
MT4 will not run on an iphone unless you can install some emulation onto it. MT4 mobile is for windows mobile based devices. I run it on my LG KS20 phone to keep track of the market, or scalping my micro account for amusement while sitting in a cafe

Thanks RebateFX. I just had the new iPhone for this purpose also: to monitor progress of my trades. But what is this emulation you mentioned. I heard MT4 windows mobile from my broker IBFX, does Mocha VNC does the trick?

heh gang

Just popped in on the forum because I've been using a Vista computer with a windows mobile device trading using MT4 mobile.

I'm seriously considering an iPhone but want the ability to trade my MT 4 account. I see two possiblities:

1) Wait for Forex To Go - seems they are very quiet lately. bad sign?

2) see if the iPhone can remotely connect to a Vista Machine.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do #2 above?

Jerry

Great contributors to this wonderful web site, I greet you all. Thank you very much for the good work done before I arrived on the scene. Special thanks, kudos to the originators of this site as well.

I want to know if any u out there has used of known for sure mobile phone that can accept custom indicators and experts installation. Please respond to this thread?

my_bie:
hi all... is there any other way to combine thoose tree??? need help

Yes.

We just started chartsaccess.com service for accessing MT4 charts from phone.

Regards,

Luke

my_bie:
hi all... is there any other way to combine thoose tree??? need help

Hi,

You can use chartsaccess.com service to access selected charts with annotations and custom indicators with any phone.

Regards,

Luke

Reason: