Big changes for MT4, in a few weeks - page 79

That metarader 4 - metatrader 5 mix is going to be a cause od many problems. Without proper documentation (and right now in new metatrader 4 help files one thing is written and another thing happens when you try it - just check the OnCalculate() mixup when used from metatrader 4 or metatrader 5) there is no way to find errors in code in some cases

Antonsan:
I think it's just a way to detect if the buttons work and have a valuable advantage in mt4, using existing code, which comes from an example of the mt5 platform.

Still no programmer has treated the topic of building panels buttons.

And building code test for panel buttons is complex, and detect malfunctions in mt4.

If I understand you correctly you are wondering if a button type of code will work in the new MT4, I have made a very basic one click EA for trading directly off the chart using the new code and it works with no problems. So as discussed not all the MT5 code does work in the new MT4 even though it may compile however I guess it is up to us to sort through it and see what does and what does not work and make the best of what we are given.

Files:
ct.gif  32 kb

hi guys havent got all the way through this. will my MT4 custom indies not work in the upgrade? will my EA need to be re-written?

francisfinley:
hi guys havent got all the way through this. will my MT4 custom indies not work in the upgrade? will my EA need to be re-written?

Some are going to have to be rewritten same are going to work as is

The biggest problem will be with some stuff using dlls where dlls will have to be rewritten as well as all the offline data generating code (renko chart, range bars, tick data, ...) that will have to be rewritten

How are people going to know if the error is coming from a bug or from incompatibility with metatrader 5 commands/functions?

Shouldn't we concentrate at the bugs first and only then test what can be done with metatrader 5 functions? I think that if we do not do so, there will be no end to wrong code in metatrader and nobody will know what is correct and what is not

checkin:
How are people going to know if the error is coming from a bug or from incompatibility with metatrader 5 commands/functions? Shouldn't we concentrate at the bugs first and only then test what can be done with metatrader 5 functions? I think that if we do not do so, there will be no end to wrong code in metatrader and nobody will know what is correct and what is not

You can not expect from coders to stop being curious Eventually all will be sorted out (hopefully). It would be better if support in a form of documentation was provided by metatquotes, but even a no support is something we are used to so "business as usual"

Understood

Kaufman AMA (adaptive moving average) made specificaly for the new metatrader 4

Were there any updates lately?

I would just like to remind of one sentence that metaquotes was promising when all these changes started :

Complete replacement of MQL4 language and MetaEditor 4 with common MQL5 and MetaEditor components

Source : Upcoming MetaTrader 4 and MQL4 Upgrades - Big Changes Are Underway - MQL4 forum

The confusion about metarader 4/5 coding languages was initiated right at the begining

Reason: