EA using ATR and ADX

I can code this for you. Please send me a private message so we can discuss the system further. I can't send you a message because I think you have the option off.

jmca:
I can code this for you. Please send me a private message so we can discuss the system further. I can't send you a message because I think you have the option off.

This guy is a genius! He had everything coded and operational when I was still sending him messages about my ideas on how to code it and what it should do. lol. I highly recommend him to anyone who needs an EA coded! I'm currently forward testing the EA on my demo account. I will post my results everyday here to show how its doing.

Wilder's indicators

Alex,

I too, have been studying a lot of Wilder's work. I am fairly new to TSD and forex, and do not yet understand how to code. I simply have not had the time to get through Guru's study guide-- and lack the understanding. I do trade stocks and ETFs, etc. I am so glad you started this thread! I don't visit TSD as much as I should, but love it as a resource. I am almost through with Alexander Elder's book and have ordered the study guide. I am convinced that I can find a decent, consistent system using the indicators you mentioned, as well as some of Elders (or the ones the he writes about). I recently have become enamored with the accumulation/distribution indicator and am looking at it (for divergence) and others as potential 5 or 15 minute indicators. I am not as proficient with MT4, but am trying to spend more time with it.

Most recently, I have been demoing the TSD indicators (especially version 24) written by Mindogaus. I am convinced it is a good EA, but it is designed for longer time-frames. He put 4 options for indicators, OsMA or MACD and Force or WPR. I have changed them some (I am very poor at this) but maybe this gentleman (I am on post right now and cannot remember his screen name) can look at TSD v.24 for some ideas. I am especially impressed that the EA provides good initial stops, and will also move a stop based upon Elder's ideas. If there was another filter (maybe ATR or another of Wilder's indicators) built into that, I believe it would be awesome.

I have sometimes had a little luck just using it on EURUSD in 5M with 1M and 15M as its outsides. I used that because it is as close as I can get with MT4 to make the longer and shorter timeframes jibe with Elder's factor of 5 rule. I have not had much luck with other pairs, and it might be because of the spreads. It seems to stay pretty even, but occasionally will catch a big trade. Then it melts back down, but seems to be rising at a very slow rate, overall. It cannot be backtested accurately, and I occasionally tamper with the overall results because I have used the same demo account for practicing Elder's system. It works best in the US market and can get eaten up in a slow Asian session if you don't watch it. It handles volatility well (just with EURUSD, but like I say, when the market flatlines in an Asian session it just stops out a lot of small losses.

I am not trying to take this off-thread, but think it is at least interesting, if not relevant. It is the first EA I have demo-ed (and I have demo-ed a lot of different ones, both commercial and shared), that has not blown-up. NewDigital put all of these TSD indicators together, but I cannot remember how to get to it, exactly. I like the older version, but have not had time to look at all of the youngers. It has no inputs and the code must be changed, but this gentleman might be able to look at it and get some ideas. If a similar EA had more filter options with Wilder's indicators, maybe an ADX, ATR, or CCI, then I think you would be in good shape!

Thanks again for starting the thread; I am interested to see how you come out and may see (my company is being radically downsized and I have taken 3 pay cuts) if he can help me when I can pay him. I will remember him and thank you for the recommendation. Also, New Digital has ran them (TSDs) and did a great job putting them all in one place. You may might want to ask him about it.

Parabolic Stop and Reverse

Alex,

I use the parabolic SAR sometimes as a stop. There is an EA in the MT4 code-base that does this. I know I am not much help, but I am sure you can find it there. It is another of Wilder's indies that I really like and is most useful when I cannot baby-sit a trade.

I have renamed it-- so I could recognize it and don't feel good about sending it to you in that form, since I really made no modification to it and don't want to undermine the original coder. Just visit the MT4 codebase and punch-in "Parabolic SAR EA" or something like that and I am sure you can find it. If not, message me and I will help.

I have also tried one that actually trades, and is written by someone named Juki. It is also in the code-base, but has some problems. It will not work with other EAs and has a magic-number problem that I don't know how to fix. Nonetheless, about that EA, the other is great and if you are just looking for a babysitter, I would recommend it. I have only used it for manual trades and don' think it would work with an EA on the same chart. Hope this helps.

Look here. This might be what you are looking for.

http://www.tradingsystemforex.com/expert-advisors-backtesting/671-sar-adx-expert-advisor.html

Regards,

Jeff

Chilibowl:
Alex,

I use the parabolic SAR sometimes as a stop. There is an EA in the MT4 code-base that does this. I know I am not much help, but I am sure you can find it there. It is another of Wilder's indies that I really like and is most useful when I cannot baby-sit a trade.

I have renamed it-- so I could recognize it and don't feel good about sending it to you in that form, since I really made no modification to it and don't want to undermine the original coder. Just visit the MT4 codebase and punch-in "Parabolic SAR EA" or something like that and I am sure you can find it. If not, message me and I will help.

I have also tried one that actually trades, and is written by someone named Juki. It is also in the code-base, but has some problems. It will not work with other EAs and has a magic-number problem that I don't know how to fix. Nonetheless, about that EA, the other is great and if you are just looking for a babysitter, I would recommend it. I have only used it for manual trades and don' think it would work with an EA on the same chart. Hope this helps.

Reply to Chilibowl

To be honest, I have not studied much of Welles Wilder's theories or strategies. However, I do think he was brilliant to develop the ADX indicator. Welles Wilder wrote that all market Trend-following systems typically make consistent profits in DIRECTIONAL markets but sustain consistent losses in NON-DIRECTIONAL markets. Because markets are typically non-directional 70+ percent of the time and directional 30- percent of the time the answer to consistently profitable trading would need to be the discovery of a way to define non-directional movement and translate this definition to a rating scale within known parameters. The ADX indicator is Wilder's solution to the problem stated above.

I've personally used the ADX indicator to trade manually, along with the ATR indicator, and I've always made money using them. I'm more interested in trading then coding Because I don't know how to code, but I can trade What is the Guru's study guide you mentioned? I have not looked at any of Elder's works, but I have heard of him from researching Wilder's works. I will check out some of Elder's works! I will also check out the EA you mentioned. If we are able to access the source code, it wouldn't be too hard to make the changes to include a filter/indicator by Wilder. I believe having an EA based on the ADX indicator can trade in any market conditions, as it determines when it is the right time to enter the market, regardless of volatile market conditions. Thats what the ATR is for, so the EA sets the T/P limit within the trading range of the market, so even if there is hardly any trading going on, (like the asian session) you still have a high chance of hitting the T/P. As most EA T/P limits are a fixed input from the user, which is where I think alot of EA's go wrong. Rather than basing the T/P limit on current market conditions of the pair. To me, the more automated the EA is by using indicators, etc. the better.

I have high hopes for this EA that the guy coded for me. Monday will be the first day of testing So far, its been working well on the limited testing I was able to do yesterday on it. The alert works like a charm and shows what pair of currency the cross occurred on. Theres even features in it that I didn't even think about, but I like them. The one trade it executed, yesterday ,the T/P limit was calculated exactly perfect to the ATR value! The trade didn't have much time to hit the T/P limit, as it was opened 20 mins before the markets closed. Its still open right now, so I look forward to see what happens monday

I'll check out the EA NewDigital created. My opinion about the CCI, I compared the CCI to the ADX, and found that the CCI has a good correlation to the ADX, just something to think about and compare. I will expirement manually trading with the CCI. I think the CCI and ADX both do the same job though, an indicator that helps you determine when to enter the market. Your welcome, I'm glad I started this thread too!

azjeff:
Look here. This might be what you are looking for.

SAR ADX Expert Advisor - Trading System Forex

Regards,

Jeff

Thank you for sharing! Those are really good results! over 1000% profit! looking at your time frame, it looks like your trades could be open for about 4-5 days before they close at a profit. What setting do you use on that EA?

Chart?

fxbs:
but you can post chart showing what you described above?

Umm...a chart? What do you mean by a chart from my description, what is there to chart? Also, the gentleman who said he can code it, already coded it...I have it installed on my trading platform right now.

Heres a pic of my trading platform with the indicators on it:

I just recently added the CCI indicator to compare it to the ADX.

Reason: