Fast Fourier Transform - Cycle Extraction - page 101

Fourier method is considered as non-usable today.

Here the fundamental review of well-known alternatives:

"A Review of the Frequency Estimation and Tracking Problems" by Kootsookos.

Files:
comparison-t.pdf  332 kb

UltraBanker:
Fourier method is considered as non-usable today.

By whom? And why?

Looks like someone will negate 200 years of math soon

Snowski:
By whom? And why?

By Ultrabanker as a sales pitch for his up and coming commercial venture.

I did like the PDF although I had seen most of the content in different places in the past. The issue is always the projection into the future not what method is used to calculate the past. The real advantage is in creating adaptive indicators and combining them with basic statistics.

I think Jim Sloman had absolutely the right idea that trading systems should be non-arbitrary and adaptive to changing market conditions and that was his direction when he came up with the Ocean series of indicators. Even very simple ideas like Hurst Future Lines of Demarcation become very predictive once you figure out the correct way to project them forward.

Snowski:
By whom?

By Giuseppe Lodovico Lagrangia for example.

Snowski:
And why?

Ask SONY, Toshiba ... etc. I have published several DETAILED articles on this matter 20 years ago and additionally sent them a hundred letters about obstacles of their approach in stupid digital sound. No response.

UltraBanker:
By Giuseppe Lodovico Lagrangia for example. Ask SONY, Toshiba ... etc. I have published several DETAILED articles on this matter 20 years ago and additionally sent them a hundred letters about obstacles of their approach in stupid digital sound. No response.

Why no response?

UltraBanker:
Are You asking me?

There were no response from Sony, Toshiba, Matsushita etc., despite the known (to all of them) fact that stupid digital sound, based on Fourier method, is not only simply INCORRECT, but also IS HAZARDOUS TO HUMAN'S HEALTH:

"Human Stress Provoked By Digitized Recordings"

Dr. Diamond MD - Human Stress Provoked By Digitized Recordings

It was well-known to all so-called radio-engineers, because it was published in AES journal (Audio Engineering Society):

AES E-Library � Comments on Stress Tests and Authors' Reply

Yes, the question was directed to you

But seeing your answer, all I can say is that I do not see any proof of Fourier transform being non-usable (especially since they do continue to use it regardless of the "proofs" that they should not). Anyway, good luck at your crusade

on my own:
Yes, the question was directed to you

I first thought it was a rthetorical question. Later, I found out that You want a real answer.

on my own:
But seeing your answer, all I can say is that I do not see any proof of Fourier transform being non-usable (especially since they do continue to use it regardless of the "proofs" that they should not).

THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

They know that AND continue to use it.

This problem is not mine.

As You can clearly see from the review by Kootsookos (and some further research who is who), the people involved in a research of alternatives to Fourier's method include persons from Defense Dept of Australia to Academy of science of Brazil.

WHAT?! Are they idiots? Dont they know that Fourier method WORKS?

No, gentlemen. They EXACTLY do know that it DOES NOT WORK in extreme situation (By the way forex is a total extreme situation, almost every day). Therefore they are funding researches of alternatives.

RenTec found it in 1988-1990 and used it for trading only. I found it much later, from my music and digital sound studies.

on my own:
Anyway, good luck at your crusade

Thanks a lot.

UltraBanker:
I first thought it was a rthetorical question. Later, I found out that You want a real answer.

THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

They know that AND continue to use it.

This problem is not mine.

As You can clearly see from the review by Kootsookos (and some further research who is who), the people involved in a research of alternatives to Fourier's method include persons from Defense Dept of Australia to Academy of science of Brazil.

WHAT?! Are they idiots? Dont they know that Fourier method WORKS?

No, gentlemen. They EXACTLY do know that it DOES NOT WORK in extreme situation (By the way forex is a total extreme situation, almost every day). Therefore they are funding researches of alternatives.

RenTec found it in 1988-1990 and used it for trading only. I found it much later, from my music and digital sound studies.

Thanks a lot.

Why is forex an extreme situation?

It is highly predictable (next value is 90% of cases within an average range value - daily and weekly charts the percentage is even higher - unlike some time series that does not have any constraint as far as the next value is concerned), and as such (not being random) it is only natural to check it for cycles. I do not think that there is anything in forex time series that is extreme

I am not telling that it can be 100% predictable (knowing the possible range of values and knowing the exact change of price is a completely different thing) but as far as I am concerned, I can live with cycles that I can calculate from that time series

Reason: