Manual or ea....my opinion

What have you found to work best for you?

I've found using EA's are only good for testing strategies to see if they have any chance of making profit, but i've not been able to build an EA yet that knows more about the market than i do. I've made quite a few that make nice profits on backtesting, but EA's just follow rules, they don't think and adapt so in my opinion they aren't as good as manual trading. Although EA's do have an advantage as they don't have any emotions attached to the pips like we do, so they don't exit when things are temporarly looking bad.

It's all about manual trading, knowing whats happening in the news, previous experiance, instinct, using indicators to backup ideas, self control etc.

What do you guys think?

Profitable manual trading can over the long time only when you follow a set of rules.

When you don't do that, sooner or later your emotions are going to influence your trading.

A good programmer (not me !!) can translate any set of rules into an EA imo.

EA autotrading -- I am a believer

Hi Scrambledem

If you can define your trading plan, I believe it can be programmed. The best part, is it removes emotions. I agree with your saying EAs also serve a helpful purpose defining trading parameters via backtesting.

Start with the basics, the simpler the better for any system. I am in the process right now of defining and making an EA with MrPip handling the programming. I will let you know the results, good or bad.

Jeff

In VA

aka Patch the Pirate

i'm quite a good programmer, my best script has full money management, finds trends and pivot point with good accurancy, but to avoid large losses i'll have to manually modify alot of the trades.

maybe i just haven't made a good enough script yet, i want my script to be able to avoid news trades, i guess i'll get there soon.

scrambledem:
i'm quite a good programmer, my best script has full money management, finds trends and pivot point with good accurancy, but to avoid large losses i'll have to manually modify alot of the trades. maybe i just haven't made a good enough script yet, i want my script to be able to avoid news trades, i guess i'll get there soon.

In some EA's the time can be set.

(extern int tradeForMinutes=0; )

Or it works with ATR.

But as I'm not a programmer I can only hand you over the rough idea.

i think i'll spend some time making some time sensitive scripts and see if i have any luck.

i feel reluctant to post my scripts on here thought, as i think the majority of people who read things on this board just want something for nothing and don't offer anything in return.

scrambledem:
i think i'll spend some time making some time sensitive scripts and see if i have any luck. i feel reluctant to post my scripts on here thought, as i think the majority of people who read things on this board just want something for nothing and don't offer anything in return.

The majority is like that.

But then again some people mighht help you.

We can't expect the majority to help us unless we're a rockstar or something.

It's just comes naturally. But some helps from a few might improve our knowledge.

Devil2000:
We can't expect the majority to help us unless we're a rockstar or something. It's just comes naturally. But some helps from a few might improve our knowledge.

Couldn't express it better myself, Devil

Reason: