~ Old Dog / New Tricks ~ - page 3

basicsenad:
Hi,

I just start playing with metatrader, and one think is buging me.

I know how to load the expert and run it, but what do I do with the template (files with tmp extension).

I have the problem with a few experts, where they run but come up with no results what so ever.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Senad

I think you're on the right track. I learned everything that I know about MT4 & MQ4 by just "playing with it". I actually just learned that tmp files are not cross broker compatible. However; I always save my tmp files in one folder and then just copy/paste into my various MT4 demo account templates folders, so I've never had that problem first hand. I currently have demo accounts with Crown, IBFX, Fastbrokers and my live account at RFXT. I use the same tmp files with all 4 accounts.

I don't mess with EA'a much ( don't trust em ), but I know from personal attempts, if you change time frame after attaching an EA you can have issues... sorry, I'm not a good source for EA info... I'm old school, lol...

My crownforex demo is at GMT time, and I cant seem to get the same chart you posted replicated at all for some reason.

Dan S:
My crownforex demo is at GMT time, and I cant seem to get the same chart you posted replicated at all for some reason.

Here is another chart for comparison. I double checked, it is Crown, but I think I downloaded the demo from the Metaquotes.net site. Metaquotes rotates brokers for their demo accounts. Maybe that's the issue..? Donno...

But if you use the weekend close on this chart, it should be fairly easy to figure out. Did this help..?

Files:
old_dog2.gif  24 kb

settings?

here is a pic of my chart at end of week. I use Interbank. My shaded areas are very different than yours are especially where you would have avoided that short trade. Can you tell me what your settings are? Interbank is also GMT time

Files:
r.gif  25 kb

tammy:
here is a pic of my chart at end of week. I use Interbank. My shaded areas are very different than yours are especially where you would have avoided that short trade. Can you tell me what your settings are? Interbank is also GMT time

Ok, now it makes sense. It looks like your spread is wider than mine. that would change the channel a bit. Another problem with the GJ is ( because of wide spreads ) brokers will play with the price more. The tops and bottoms will different brokers can be as much as 5 pips difference.

As you watch these indicators, try to always keep the 60 sma ( 15m ) in the corner of you eye. It will keep you out of a ton of bad trades. Also, I usually keep 2 charts open, a 5m and a 15m both with exactly these same indicators. Because if you look at my settings ( page 1 of this thread ) you will notice that some have been broken down to 5 min intervals. So the 5M chart can be more accurate sometimes...

Just play with it, you might a different setting or time frame that works even better. I use to have a 10M open all the time, but I can never the the "custom time interval" script to work right with these indicators... sigh...

Did that help..?

oh ok so Crown is less than 9 pip spread on GJ? Also is this something that you have to watch or can you take a look at night and if the 60 is going a certain direction set a buy or sell order and leave it? I am only an hour behind you so it would be in the middle of the night when most things move right?

tammy:
oh ok so Crown is less than 9 pip spread on GJ? Also is this something that you have to watch or can you take a look at night and if the 60 is going a certain direction set a buy or sell order and leave it? I am only an hour behind you so it would be in the middle of the night when most things move right?

I actually don't like to watch it sometimes, lol... but you should check on it from time to time and then watch it closely towards the end of the trading box. The hardest part of this method ( for me ) is let the trade play out. I hate seeing trades going back and forth. Drives me nuts, lol...

The basic idea behind this method is 2 filters for entry and 1 for exit. Entry: the 60 sma on the 15 min chart ( what direction and how strong ), then if the 60 sma is signaling a trend will it break above the highs or lows enough to start moving. Exit: it will either hit the stop or solid light blue line ( note: sometime it will touch the vertical light blue line before the horizontal one )... You will learn after watching these indicators, that other trading opportunities become very obvious...

Another take on this method...

Hello all,

I posted this chart above and forgot to mention this idea:

Another trade to consider with these indicators are buy/sell limits. ( this method is a bit more advanced, but can provide more trades than the standard system) This chart is an excellent example. If you see a pullback that touches the dotted blue line, against the direction of the 60sma, you can buy or sell back in the direction of the opposite dotted blue line. The best part is, if the trade continues on and reaches the opposite blue line, you can close half and let the rest continue on to the solid light blue line. ( or just let the entire position run to the light blue line )...

Hopefully I explained the concept well enough. It's pretty simple as long as you understand the original method. The reason I like this alt method is because your risk/reward is right-side up and the GJ seems to pullback a lot before pushing to the next level...

As with all my ideas, please look at a historical chart for yourself. Never blindly trust another traders advice...

Files:
old_dog2.gif  24 kb

BrunoFX:
Hello riffster,

Very interesting and very simple system.

Can you attach statement and you thought of making a ea?

Sorry BrunoFX, I just realized that I missed your question. It wasn't intentional, sorry again...

So to answer: I don't like to post my personal account stuff. Lot's of reasons, but mostly because when I have in the past traders say that I'm making my account info up ( even though I scanned it into a PDF ). You might remember an IBFX account statement that floated around with "what traders called ridiculous returns" that was mine... So no more sharing, lol... Hope you understand...

As far as an EA: I don't think one will work for this. To be honest, I don't think EA's work at all. At least not consistently enough to use. ( oh boy, I can hear the backlash now, lol... ) However, if you have an idea, I would be more than willing to share my experience with these indicators to help. Actually, I've wondered if a "gap" filter would help, that way news and other big moving events could be filtered out. If you re-read my posts in this thread, the only time that these trades are high risk is when the market is "artificially" stimulated, but that seems to happen a lot...

Anyhoo, hope that answers your questions and I hope you understand why I don't want to share statements now-a-daz...

riffster:
Sorry BrunoFX, I just realized that I missed your question. It wasn't intentional, sorry again...

So to answer: I don't like to post my personal account stuff. Lot's of reasons, but mostly because when I have in the past traders say that I'm making my account info up ( even though I scanned it into a PDF ). You might remember an IBFX account statement that floated around with "what traders called ridiculous returns" that was mine... So no more sharing, lol... Hope you understand...

As far as an EA: I don't think one will work for this. To be honest, I don't think EA's work at all. At least not consistently enough to use. ( oh boy, I can hear the backlash now, lol... ) However, if you have an idea, I would be more than willing to share my experience with these indicators to help. Actually, I've wondered if a "gap" filter would help, that way news and other big moving events could be filtered out. If you re-read my posts in this thread, the only time that these trades are high risk is when the market is "artificially" stimulated, but that seems to happen a lot...

Anyhoo, hope that answers your questions and I hope you understand why I don't want to share statements now-a-daz...

Bruno, I think I may have an EA for this system that works! I'll let ya know, but so far so good. Basically, I changed from daily ranges to weekly price ranges. I also use an RSI as a filter. Now it works on every currency pair and because the positions are held longer with wider stops, the brokers can't dork with your trades...

Reason: