Martingale....The Holy Grail or Are We Chasing A Myth?

hello everyone,

we all love the idea of martingale, but there is no EA's that i know of that are martingale based that produce money over the long haul, i have tried with some success and have yet to conquer this beast, im very close, hopefully by sharing some of my experiences i can bring to light some of the avenues of solutions for the 1 major obstacle that a martingale faces, THE BIG TREND........

another excellent programmer/trader who goes by the name of Bluto in this forum seems to have a handle on this martingale beast, here's one of his quotes:

"Just as an added note, there's nothing inherent about most of the traditional Martingale based EA's that would set off any red flags with a broker. I'm speaking of EA's like 10Point3, Goblin, Terminator, Predator, etc. These typically place successive orders in intervals that are well beyond what's defined as scalping. Perhaps it's the trading style of Martingale that you're not too fond of, and if you favor trend following methods, that's cool. Believe it or not, building a solid trend following EA can be a daunting task. Martingale EA's works pretty well most of the time and it's fairly easy for guys to get their heads around plus there's a ton of them floating around, hence their popularity. The key is to make them safe when a big move happens and there hasn't been a whole lot of widespread development in that area yet. Until now that is." Bluto

i know Bluto has been posting for a while here, however, as of late he has not done much posting probably because he is busy, i invite him to this thread to share some of his ideas and experiences and hope that he takes up this thread with the same vigor and education that he has had in the past with his other threads.....im not asking him to release "jitterbug", but simply help us push the envolope with our own creative thinking and some of his guidance along the way.....

what is the solution to the "BIG TREND"??

1- is it short order consolidation??

2- is it hedging upon a trigger of a 2nd order??

3- is it the mix of expandable/collapsable pipsteps???

4- is it dynamic floating orders and not static??

5- or is it all of the above??

these are some of the issues we must investigate to come to a solution i believe.....there are some EA's on this forum and others that handle the "BIG TREND" by stopping out there orders when a sequence gets to deep, i believe with these EA's they will lose there accounts in the long-term......there has to be better solutions, we must succeed in finding a solution to this problem, it will be tough no doubt, but with everyones brain power and creativity in this forum we will prevail......think about the above solutions and ill be back tommorow and we'll start looking at some examples and get this think tank underway.........keep on phreaking

martingale

I don't think Bluto meant it that he knows how to handle the situation. I think he meant that not alot of people are trying to solve the problem until now. Although I could be wrong.

Do you find Predator pretty safe as long as you set a SL and keep MaxTrades low? Seems to be doing pretty good job lately.

How about instead of trying currency pairs that do not trend so much.

EURGBP kind of comes to mind.

Just a thought. If you can't beat em' then move to a table that you can beat em'.

Basically, instead of trying to figure out how to get the GBPJPY to Martingale correctly, why not avoid it and go with pairs that do and focus on them.

Philip

Welcome to my forex blog.......In the upcoming weeks I will go over the techniques that I use to trade forex and make over $10,000 dollars a month with ease using a revolutionary grid method coupled with Advanced Hedging Features.......No matter what the market does, ranging or trending, my system profits in both these markets....This past November's upwards trend of some 900 pips would have killed most conventional grid systems, but my grid system didn't only handle it, but made tremendous profits from it......

ea

Craig:
Welcome to my forex blog.......In the upcoming weeks I will go over the techniques that I use to trade forex and make over $10,000 dollars a month with ease using a revolutionary grid method coupled with Advanced Hedging Features.......No matter what the market does, ranging or trending, my system profits in both these markets....This past November's upwards trend of some 900 pips would have killed most conventional grid systems, but my grid system didn't only handle it, but made tremendous profits from it......

so what are you trying to say dumbass? if you knew how to read english, you would understand this is a thread on martingale and not grids, im doing great with grids, unless you have some useful ideas i suggest you take a walk to some other thread, of course, everybody is a toughguy behind a computer....

Ea

holyguy7:
How about instead of trying currency pairs that do not trend so much.

EURGBP kind of comes to mind.

Just a thought. If you can't beat em' then move to a table that you can beat em'.

Basically, instead of trying to figure out how to get the GBPJPY to Martingale correctly, why not avoid it and go with pairs that do and focus on them.

Philip

holyguy,

your right, up to a point, inevitably, no matter what currency you trade, at some point in its time it will have a massive trend, history is a constant reminder of this, therefore, one must be prepared for such occasions, wheather it be the eur/gbp or the gbp/jpy, it doesnt matter, you have to be prepared for the worst no matter what currency you trade, eventually, they will all trend at some point...

ea

matrixebiz:
Do you find Predator pretty safe as long as you set a SL and keep MaxTrades low? Seems to be doing pretty good job lately.

matrix,

how are you, thanks for posting, predator works well sometimes, however, from my experience with it over the long haul, the stop-losses will start to accumulate much more than your profits, it will catchup with you, be careful with it.......

phorex_phreak:
so what are you trying to say dumbass? if you knew how to read english, you would understand this is a thread on martingale and not grids, im doing great with grids, unless you have some useful ideas i suggest you take a walk to some other thread, of course, everybody is a toughguy behind a computer....

Why are you so angry about having a free plug for your blog? just thought folks might wanna know how great your doing!

phorex_phreak:
......think about the above solutions and ill be back tommorow and we'll start looking at some examples and get this think tank underway.........

Well, as I told you before. Stop losses act as an important part for traditional martingale. You'll never get correct everytime before you see the giant move of 700pips without retracement for more than 10pips, just like the 2006 thanksgiving day. I suppose not much of you guys will forget about it. For hedging, there is noway you can hedge with martingale. On hedging you can never put a stop loss, but you doubling 1 sided of your losses where the winning side you can do nothing withit. Therefore, you're not hedge!

This is my on going project, and it still on the scratch and bulk of serius issue need to be solve.

1. Martingale based EA, with multiple direction indicator to hedge within the rage, taking roller coaster up and down. As the ATR goes wider and wider, either 1 of the hedge will hit stop loss out of bollinger band

2. When the above happened, stopped out trades will not be taken anymore on that direction, and the left floating position will carry on by MACD 28,62,18 above 0 and RSI21 above 50% for continue long until the next cross down of RSI. Start with step 1 again.

I guess this solved the problem.... meanwhile, having big headache to pass around the routine.

Regards,

David

You're chasing a myth. Do you think professional money managers use martingale-type money management? Any system that relies on digging itself in a hole in order to make huge profits is far from the holy grail. It is a negative expectancy model. That's simple mathematics and it cannot be changed or tweaked to work.

The only way to end up slightly ahead in the long run is to start with a very large account with a very small inital position size that does not keep doubling it's size up to a certain point. Even then, the profits would not be the hundreds of percent per month that people on this forum are often aiming for, but a couple percent per month. In which case, what would be the point? I'm sure there are plenty of other non-martingale strategies that will make a couple percent per month while employing much less risk anyway.

Reason: