Questions: to start with MetaTrader and forex - page 64

Trailing stop and take profit

Forgive me for my dumbness, but I would like to know, do we still use take profit when we are using trailing stop?? It seems contradicting to me, but I thought maybe there are some other reasons to use them both together that I could not think of. Thanks

ronan_chai:
Forgive me for my dumbness, but I would like to know, do we still use take profit when we are using trailing stop?? It seems contradicting to me, but I thought maybe there are some other reasons to use them both together that I could not think of. Thanks

Hi Ronan,

it is my first post on this forum - but if understood You well - they can be used together or not - it is Your choice. If Your trade for instance is already in profit and let's say - You would like to protect some part of a profit but still see the chance that the price would finally arrive to the destination point - You may enter the trailing to cover Your back and keep the TP if the push occurs,

Peter

Adding second template file to a chart

Is there a way to add a second template file to a chart that already has a template file applied without losing the existing template information on the chart? I hope the question is clear.

I want to have notes and lines, etc. in one template and then be able to add it to a chart with a template already applied and view them together. Then later load the first template file again to get rid of the second template's notes, etc.

If not possible, could a script or an indicator be used to do this?

Using mq4 files

Hello, im new here and i very much like this site. I have been using MT4 and experimenting with strategies but when i try to download a mq4 file from this site i always seem to download a HTML file that doesnt include the mq4 code, i must be doing something wrong i quess, i have sometimes copied and pasted mq4 code into MetaEditor from other sites to experiment with play with, but i dont understand why i cant download any file from this site. Hope someone can shine a little light on my problem

Thanks

All ok

Think i was having a 'blonde' moment, forgot to press shift when i clicked on icon, i had a download resuming program assisting with download of files which was downloading the site page instead of file..... all ok now .. now look forward to experimenting with all this new trading info...

Thanks

I want to share my experience:

when I want to download some file (from the forum for example) - I am doing - right mouse click and select "Save as ...". It helps on most of the cases to understand: is there some file, or not.

Croshair shortcut

The Ctrl + F shortcut doesn't work for me. Could it be a Windows 7 issue?

The center wheel on the mouse doesn't work either.

Or is there something im not doing correctly?????

check if market is closed

Happy new year,everyone! I have a question: Is there a way for an EA to check if the market is closed?

There are some check functions like IsConnected.

But no one about market close/

Try use trade or check functions and read error code from GetLastError.

Use ERR_MARKET_CLOSED or ERR_TRADE_DISABLED in your analyze.

Good luck!

Built-in indicator source code

I poked around the Web today looking for links to MQL source code of built-in indicators. I suspect that they are written in C or C++; I would like to see how the various built-in indicators are programmed.

At this Webpage: Usage of Technical Indicators - Simple Programs in MQL4 - MQL4 Tutorial , I find in the following:

Code Unchangeability

All technical indicators are built-in, their code is not available for making modifications. So a user is secured from an erroneous modification of built-in technical indicators. However, the source code, upon which a technical indicator is calculated, is available on the software developer website MetaTrader 5 Trading Platform / MetaQuotes Software Corp. in the section Technical Indicators - Technical Analysis If needed, a programmer may use the full code or part of it to create custom indicators (see Creation of Custom Indicators).

The problem is, if I follow the the links as described, I cannot find any software developer Webpage. What am I missing?

Does anyone in the Forum know where to find the source code of the built-in Metatrader indicators?

Thanks,

Art

Reason: