My simple 20 pips. - page 6

Hi Everyone,

Okay, here's my second attempt. Let me first spell out the rules as I understand them:

Initial Long Entry:

1) Yellow MA crosses over Blue MA creating an up arrow (call this candle 1)

2) Candle 1 must have Force>0.03

2a) If Candle 1 has a Force0.03, then enter on the next candle (candle 3). We have to wait for the completion of the candle to be certain of the Force value as it can can continually change until closed.

3) Set Stop Loss at 50p

4) Take profit is 20p during news

5) During non-news days take profit is 30p and once the 20p level is hit, move stop loss to 10p (this is where I'm having trouble - the trailing stop loss seems okay but my efforts to code a breakeven move aren't working properly - can anyone else out there modify it?)

I can't program which days are news days and which ones aren't, so this will have to be manually adjusted.

Additional Long Entries After Initial MA Cross:

1) We have already had the up arrow come and the intial long entry fulfilled. All the next entries will take place as follows:

1a) The Yellow MA must remain above the Blue MA

1b) The Force value must remain above 0.30 for 2 candles in a row (so entry would be on the open of the 3rd)

Exits:

1) Take Profit or Stop Loss

2) The MAs cross over to give an opposite entry signal (I wasn't sure here if the Force value also needed to be <-0.03 - in any event I didn't use Force as an exit since it have triggered condition '2a' for entry).

For shorts, it's pretty much the opposite.

Notes:

If the take profit or stop loss is reached and the entry signals are still vaild, another order will be placed shortly after the last one has closed within the same candle.

There's also a function to specify the time of day to trade - that may be worthwhile to use as well. Just change 'UseHourTrade" from False to True and put in the trading hours range (remember to align with your broker e.g. IBFX is on the 0 GMT clock).

Let me know what you think!!

Mike

Files:

MIKEP.

I am wondering if I am saying the same thing you are, just differently.

Let me give you my understanding. Let me know if I am off.

You wrote:

"Initial Long Entry:

2a) If Candle 1 has a Force0.03, then enter on the next candle (candle 3). We have to wait for the completion of the candle to be certain of the Force value as it can can continually change until closed."

My understanding is that when the yellow line crosses over the blue line, a buy may be available soon. Now we wait for the Force Index to exceed .03. That may happen on the same bar as the cross over, or it may be several bars later. When the Force Index confirms the StepMA cross over the trade is opened on the very next bar's open. The triggering bar must complete before a trade is entered.

In looking at the first trade in post #32, he enters the trade on the open of the bar just after the triggering bar. In the second trade it , appears to me, that he is waiting for another bar because the first bar pointed to did not quite exceed .03. He was therefor waiting to see what the next bar did. In this case the trade was not taken because the Force Index never did exceed .03

In the off chance I was able to make this clear, is this what you understand?

Thanks again.

Yep - I think we're saying the same thing.

The EA will enter on either condition - if the yellow has crossed over the blue and force is greater than 0.03 it'll enter on the next candle. If the force is below 0.03 at the time of crossing, it'll wait for the next candle to be above 0.03 and if it is it'll enter on the opening of the next candle. If the force is below 0.03 for more than two candles in a row after the MA cross, it'll then look for entries as per "Additional Long Entries After MA Cross" rules.

Hopefully there are some out there that can test the thresholds/andor/time to use the EA. So far my tests (only have Jan 2007 data) don't show it to be profitable...maybe additional filters are needed (e.g. besides force, the close of a candle needs to be above a JMA, EMA, SATL etc line for long, CCI, JRSX etc...) - PipeTrader - hope you don't mind, I'm not trying to change your system. I think when manually trading a system so many things cross your mind to make a decision it's difficult to capture all the rules in an EA...

cthulhu:
MIKEP.

I am wondering if I am saying the same thing you are, just differently.

Let me give you my understanding. Let me know if I am off.

You wrote:

"Initial Long Entry:

2a) If Candle 1 has a Force0.03, then enter on the next candle (candle 3). We have to wait for the completion of the candle to be certain of the Force value as it can can continually change until closed."

My understanding is that when the yellow line crosses over the blue line, a buy may be available soon. Now we wait for the Force Index to exceed .03. That may happen on the same bar as the cross over, or it may be several bars later. When the Force Index confirms the StepMA cross over the trade is opened on the very next bar's open. The triggering bar must complete before a trade is entered.

In looking at the first trade in post #32, he enters the trade on the open of the bar just after the triggering bar. In the second trade it , appears to me, that he is waiting for another bar because the first bar pointed to did not quite exceed .03. He was therefor waiting to see what the next bar did. In this case the trade was not taken because the Force Index never did exceed .03

In the off chance I was able to make this clear, is this what you understand?

Thanks again.

mikep:
Hi Everyone,

Okay, here's my second attempt. Let me first spell out the rules as I understand them:

Initial Long Entry:

2a) If Candle 1 has a Force0.03, then enter on the next candle (candle 3). We have to wait for the completion of the candle to be certain of the Force value as it can can continually change until closed.

3) Set Stop Loss at 50p

4) Take profit is 20p during news

5) During non-news days take profit is 30p and once the 20p level is hit, move stop loss to 10p (this is where I'm having trouble - the trailing stop loss seems okay but my efforts to code a breakeven move aren't working properly - can anyone else out there modify it?)

I can't program which days are news days and which ones aren't, so this will have to be manually adjusted.

1) We have already had the up arrow come and the intial long entry fulfilled. All the next entries will take place as follows:

1a) The Yellow MA must remain above the Blue MA

1b) The Force value must remain above 0.30 for 2 candles in a row (so entry would be on the open of the 3rd)

Exits:

1) Take Profit or Stop Loss

2) The MAs cross over to give an opposite entry signal (I wasn't sure here if the Force value also needed to be <-0.03 - in any event I didn't use Force as an exit since it have triggered condition '2a' for entry).

For shorts, it's pretty much the opposite.

Notes:

If the take profit or stop loss is reached and the entry signals are still vaild, another order will be placed shortly after the last one has closed within the same candle.

There's also a function to specify the time of day to trade - that may be worthwhile to use as well. Just change 'UseHourTrade" from False to True and put in the trading hours range (remember to align with your broker e.g. IBFX is on the 0 GMT clock).

Let me know what you think!!

Mike

Hi I tested your EA on backtest but it have loses. Graph is steady going down. I will try test on a demo account to see some more but I dont know what it will do any better. Sorry man.

shibeng:
Hi I tested your EA on backtest but it have loses. Graph is steady going down. I will try test on a demo account to see some more but I dont know what it will do any better. Sorry man.

Hi shibeng!

Yeah I had the same initial results - so far my only conclusion is that with manually trading this system there are other considerations (support and resistance for example) that haven't been expicitly detailed which make it profitable...

...PipeTrader can you add anything else which may be of help for coding the EA?

Thanks!

Mike

How can the EA be losing? did you guys go back and take a look at the trades, this ea is taking. doing a manual backtest shows this system to be very profitable without and support/resistance so the ea should also show this unless there is something we are missing.

i think we need to do a manual backtest for a certain period and then use the ea to do a test for that same period and compare results to see if there is a problem with the ea or the strategy. what do you guys think.

mikep:
Hi shibeng!

Yeah I had the same initial results - so far my only conclusion is that with manually trading this system there are other considerations (support and resistance for example) that haven't been expicitly detailed which make it profitable...

...PipeTrader can you add anything else which may be of help for coding the EA?

Thanks!

Mike

My Understanding

Have been trading this manually and profitably as follow:

First entry: StepMA cross/arrow at close of candle.(Buy or Sell)

Set stops and TP as described in first post or use trailing.

Second entry: StepMA condition for first entry still true(It will be either Long or Short). Force Index is greater than 0.03 level in direction of StepMa at close of bar Buy or Sell on open of next candle.

It does happen that these condition fall on the same candle and will give one fast 20-30 pips profit. Other times two separate trades are generated as the Force Index only cross the 0.03 level after the first trade has already profited.

One can also look at entering/re-entering the market when the FI goes past opposite 0.03 level after initial trades were exited at profit.

Will post picture later explaining this for further comments.

started trading this system yesterday. I had one trade yesterday and made 20 pips. just made another 20 pips right now. so 2 consecutive wins so far with the basic system, no modifications.

also 4xtrend, if you are trading the Force index and you dont wait for a second candle confirmation, you will get more losses. look at yesterday and you will see a loss where the stepMA was showing a long already and the force index was 0.0362. the next candle had a force index of 0.0245 and that trade failed. sometimes the second candle gets you in late but still it will give you 20 pips and that is all i need.

4xtrend:
Have been trading this manually and profitably as follow:

First entry: StepMA cross/arrow at close of candle.(Buy or Sell)

Set stops and TP as described in first post or use trailing.

Second entry: StepMA condition for first entry still true(It will be either Long or Short). Force Index is greater than 0.03 level in direction of StepMa at close of bar Buy or Sell on open of next candle.

It does happen that these condition fall on the same candle and will give one fast 20-30 pips profit. Other times two separate trades are generated as the Force Index only cross the 0.03 level after the first trade has already profited.

One can also look at entering/re-entering the market when the FI goes past opposite 0.03 level after initial trades were exited at profit.

Will post picture later explaining this for further comments.

Gt

I beg to differ as I only had a StepMa sell signal and then on the next bar I had a FI sell at close. That was two sell entries 1.9677 and 1.9670. The highest it went after this was 1.9701, well within my 50 pip stop. Both positions was profitable shortly after with a low of 1.9541 giving a max of 136-spread and 129-spread depending on your exit criteria.

Files:
yesterday.gif  10 kb

mikep:

1) ...

1a) ....

1b) The Force value must remain above 0.30 for 2 candles in a row(so entry would be on the open of the 3rd)

mikep, thank you much for the attempt.

second long entry is valid after first entry, only when Force go down to [-0.03,+0.03] range and come up over 0.03 again .we should not enter immediately after closing the first position just for remaining Force above 0.03 for two candle.

looking at Pipetrader figure at post #24 carefully prove what I said.

during that period at the figure,we have only 2 entry not more. but ,if your conclusion for additional entry is correct we should have 3 long entry .

since you creat the EA base on this wrong conclusion ,it is a losser EA.

Let me thank you again for your valuabale work.

Files:
Reason: