XP Moving Average! - page 5

Thanks 4 the warning

mikejody:
FXNewbie, you are going to have difficulty trading this way because the indicators repaint the past. Just be cautious and be ready to exit when the indicator several bars BEHIND you changes color.

Thanks for the warning, mikejody. I am not using the indicator alone, but with others wich i feel more confident. So far, Codersguru MA has been faster than the others in giving early signals, wich others confirm later. So far very good, but i am just beginning the test.

codersguru:
It does not repaint the past!

Note: To be sure we are using the same version of the indicator please go to:

XP Moving Average v2

Codersguru, I am still waiting to hear how you trade this indicator. Can you tell me when you enter/exit your trades with this indicator?

mikejody:
Codersguru, I am still waiting to hear how you trade this indicator. Can you tell me when you enter/exit your trades with this indicator?

Simple suggestion, why not get the xpma v2, and then take two screenshots, where one can clearly see that it has repainted and post it here. A picture will pretty much show the repainting you are talking of I think.

repaint or not repaint? that's the question!

I spent 2 days in profing that it does not repaint the past! I'm so tired!

Please download attached archive which include:

1- A new version of xpMA which save a screen shot of the chart every time the chart updates! (in the Experts/FILES folder).

2- 30 Screen Shots of the xpMA indicator running in 1M EURUSD.

3- A power point presentation contains the previous 30 SS!

I hope we close this door! I have a lot fo work to do more important than taking screen shoots of the damn xpMA! (FACE)!

Again! xpMA is a normal moving average that colors its line! no more no less!

Files:
xpma_3.zip  274 kb

Xp Ma

Hi ALL,

I have a suggestion to this...

CodersGuru...if you want...you might change visualization...instead of xP MA being a line, create indicator that will draw the signals with each color change.

The rules would be...signal would appear on the close of first bar when new color would show (red/green). This is the best way to test it. If we see the signal and it will stay on the chart on the place where it firstly appeared, then it DOESN'T repaint the past. If the signals will move it's original position with proceeding bars and keep moving to better place...it means it DOES repaints the past.

This indicator would be incredible if it gave a signal and signal would stay on it's original position. But what good is it for f.e. if I get signal to buy f.e. GBP/USD on 4H chart at 1.8900 and on second bar after pound drops like 100 pips, bar closes and signal moves to this bar and I have a new signal to buy 100 pips lower at 1.8800. Let's say this repeats and after 3 another bars pound drops to 1.8600 and makes a bottom. Signal was moving forward with these bars so basically what would happen...I would have a buy signal on each bar from 1.8900. Now let's say I'm in position from first signal appearance at 1.8900. Now I would be -300 pips down from when the actuall and to last signal would appear. This last signal would stay on the chart as the actuall signal, which you would normally see if you would scroll the chart back and backtested manually. But in reallity if you followed, you would be already 300 pip in minus. So this can be extremely dangerous.

When it's line, it may be hard to find out. Even harder is, that this doesn't have to occur too often, maybe never, maybe permamently. So controlling signals would be much easier and convenient.

1- A new version of xpMA which save a screen shot of the chart every time the chart updates! (in the Experts/FILES folder).

2- 30 Screen Shots of the xpMA indicator running in 1M EURUSD.

3- A power point presentation contains the previous 30 SS!

ahahaha bravo codersguru,that was good solution,i did not see it repaints also

keep up good work

Version 2 Does Not Repaint

Greetings Codersuru,

I have just discovered that this modified indicator (version 2) does not repaint the past as version 1 did. This is good. Thank you for changing the indicator to make it useable.

I am now going to do all the backtesting I did originally with the repainting indicator and compare the difference, and will post here.

Thank you again.

Comparison of Both Indicators October 2006

Greetings here are the results for the comparison of version 1 (the indicator that repaints the past) to version 2 (non-repainting version). These stats are for the month of October, 2006 only.

Version 1 (repainting version):

9 Trades: 6 winners, 3 losers

Total number of pips: 1164

Version 2 (non repainting version):

9 Trades: 6 losers, 3 winners

Total number of pips: 240

This is the very reason many of us on this thread were wanting to issue strong warnings about repainting indicators.

I will test a few more months, but I have a strong suspicion that the new indicator, while possibly helpful to some traders, will not be much more profitable (if any) than all the moving average cross systems out there.

XPMA with Jurik

Codersguru,

Could you add Juriks MA as an option ?

Files:
jma.mq4  11 kb

great suggestion!

tomstaufer:
Codersguru, Could you add Juriks MA as an option ?

That's the real worx ! great suggestion!

Reason: