Universal MA Cross EA - page 11

iscuba11:
Thank you for the clarifications. The EA is simple, yet can be very profitable. It would be nice that in the future as someone has suggested putting a filter such as an RSI or Stochastic as a confirmation of a good crossover taking place. We all should understand that nothing is 100% accurate all the time. I love the flexibility that you have put into this EA. Yesterday was a very profitable day (Wish I was out of test mode then). So far, easy to use and simple to follow. Thanks again for the clarification!!
Dave <

Hi Dave, if you have any idea to add another filter to the strategy, please post your trading plan, and I will try to add it to the EA. Hope this help

Hi Dave,

Can you please tell me what are the statements related to your "ONE ENTRY PER BAR" cuz I want to put this option in MACD EA which you made for me.... I mean I want to know that statement do I have to put in EA

Thanks

Babar

babarmughal:
Hi Dave,

Can you please tell me what are the statements related to your "ONE ENTRY PER BAR" cuz I want to put this option in MACD EA which you made for me.... I mean I want to know that statement do I have to put in EA

Thanks

Babar

Hi Babar, for OneEntryPerBar function I just add this code :

//----------------------- ONE ENTRY PER BAR

if(OneEntryPerBar)

{

if(CheckEntryTime==iTime(NULL,TimeFrame,0)) return(0); else CheckEntryTime = iTime(NULL,TimeFrame,0);

}

And declare CheckEntryTime before start() function. Hope this help

Houston, we have a problem!

I found one weakness - MinDistCross (A Vital filter but can cause missed opportunities) - - This filter measures the distance from each moving average (gap) to filter out many false signals as a result of the moving averages being too close to each other and barely crossing in both directions (Noise chatter).

The problem: If the program is testing on the current bar for a crossover, and the gap is too narrow, no entry trigger occurs. If the gap grows wide enough to surpass our MinDistCross criteria on the second or third or fourth bar later, the cross is not a current cross anymore, and the program will not trigger a buy or sell. This weakness caused 2 missed opportunities today in trading.

Is there anyway to program the program to allow the program to check for a current cross and still activate if the gap slowly expands past the MinDistCross within so many bars (adjustable) after the recent cross (example: 5 bars). Reason: On long term EA's a missed opportunity like this can cause a 100+ pip lost opportunity profit capture before the moving averages cross again. Since this occurred on 2 EA's today, I would say I lost a total of 200 pips in missed opportunities.

iscuba11:
I found one weakness - MinDistCross (A Vital filter but can cause missed opportunities) - - This filter measures the distance from each moving average (gap) to filter out many false signals as a result of the moving averages being too close to each other and barely crossing in both directions (Noise chatter).

The problem: If the program is testing on the current bar for a crossover, and the gap is too narrow, no entry trigger occurs. If the gap grows wide enough to surpass our MinDistCross criteria on the second or third or fourth bar later, the cross is not a current cross anymore, and the program will not trigger a buy or sell. This weakness caused 2 missed opportunities today in trading.

Is there anyway to program the program to allow the program to check for a current cross and still activate if the gap slowly expands past the MinDistCross within so many bars (adjustable) after the recent cross (example: 5 bars). Reason: On long term EA's a missed opportunity like this can cause a 100+ pip lost opportunity profit capture before the moving averages cross again. Since this occurred on 2 EA's today, I would say I lost a total of 200 pips in missed opportunities.

Hi Dave, thank you for the comment and suggestion. I will work on that this weekend. Will let you know if I post the new release. Again thank you

Hi Firedave,

Have you had a chance to figure out how to program a fix for the MinDistCross weakness. I hope you had a nice weekend and everything is ok with you and your family. I am anxious to test out your modification when you have it created.

With much appreciation,

Dave

<

Third MA Suggestion

I have not had a chance to test the EA yet, but I have a suggestion for the third MA based upon my personal trading strategy. As we all know, trends tend to exhaust themselves and reverse as traders collect their profits and new positions are entered in the opposite direction. Thus, it would make sense to have a third moving average setting which would allow for a cross above the 3rd slow moving average to enter a short position instead of just a long position as I understand the EA has now. Therefore, when the price is above the slow MA and the 1st fast MA moves under the 2nd medium period MA, a short position can be enabled instead of just a long position. If, however, the fast MA gives a long signal above the 3rd slow MA, it can be disregarded as a potential slight retracement when this feature is enabled. The opposite would then be true for signals below the third MA. Just an idea based upon price action.

powerbase:
I have not had a chance to test the EA yet, but I have a suggestion for the third MA based upon my personal trading strategy. As we all know, trends tend to exhaust themselves and reverse as traders collect their profits and new positions are entered in the opposite direction. Thus, it would make sense to have a third moving average setting which would allow for a cross above the 3rd slow moving average to enter a short position instead of just a long position as I understand the EA has now. Therefore, when the price is above the slow MA and the 1st fast MA moves under the 2nd medium period MA, a short position can be enabled instead of just a long position. If, however, the fast MA gives a long signal above the 3rd slow MA, it can be disregarded as a potential slight retracement when this feature is enabled. The opposite would then be true for signals below the third MA. Just an idea based upon price action.

Hi powerbase, thank you for the suggestion. Since we already have Third MA feature, I will just add this new feature. Hope could upload the new release ASAP. Hope this help

By the way Dave, still working on it

Hi Firedave,

Have you had a chance to figure out how to program a fix for the MinDistCross weakness. I hope you had a nice weekend and everything is ok with you and your family. I am anxious to test out your modification when you have it created.

With much appreciation,

Dave

<

That MinDistCross continues to plague the program. Since my last email to you FireDave, there has been 6 instances of either a non-entry or a non-exit occuring (on the 1 hour graphs) as a result of the gap. Putting the MinDistCross at ' 0 ' using the 5 minute graph for experimentation, the EA got hammered continuously by false 'noise' signals causing losses.

On the news front: I just read about the volcano erupting in Indonesia. Ever get the feeling that there are safer places to live, if in fact you are still living in Indonesia??

I will always appreciate your help Dave. The EA is excellent. Once this problem is fixed, it will be good to go in reliability. I am looking forward, a bit anxious, to see the result of your modification to this MinDistCross setup variable. Keep up the 'great work' and hope that you are able to resolve this issue. God Bless, and be safe!

Dave <

iscuba11:
That MinDistCross continues to plague the program. Since my last email to you FireDave, there has been 6 instances of either a non-entry or a non-exit occuring (on the 1 hour graphs) as a result of the gap. Putting the MinDistCross at ' 0 ' using the 5 minute graph for experimentation, the EA got hammered continuously by false 'noise' signals causing losses. I will always appreciate your help Dave. The EA is excellent. Once this problem is fixed, it will be good to go in reliability. I am looking forward, a bit anxious, to see the result of your modification to this MinDistCross setup variable. Keep up the 'great work' and hope that you are able to resolve this issue.

Hi Dave, I'm going to use iBarShift to check the cross and the pip distance for n number of bar after the cross. Got some experience on this approach from other trading plan.

iscuba11:
On the news front: I just read about the volcano erupting in Indonesia. Ever get the feeling that there are safer places to live, if in fact you are still living in Indonesia??

Well, Jakarta, the city that I live, seems like a good place to live in Indonesia. Althought there is still a traffic jam and water flood problem. I do realise that there is no safer place to live because anything could happen anywhere anytime. So need to pray everyday for God' protection

iscuba11:
God Bless, and be safe!

God bless you too, Dave

Reason: