GridTechinque why not? - page 4

cardio:
Hi Eric

This sounds do-able. Please post the HMA indicator.

I am trying to finish another EA now - so I/m maxed out time wise for the next few days - but I might get a few hours to work on it.

And half the work is already done.

Thanks

Thanks for reading my lengthy post cardio!!

Here is the HMA indicator. I have been using a 200 period HMA on the H1 chart. That is what is on that last screen shot. Smooth and lasts long enough so that you are not switching directions all the time. Maybe the period of HMA to use should be an option for the user?

Files:
hma_color.mq4  4 kb

Testing Period

eric79:
what's also important is that you only test for the period where you got the imported data for.

I'm not sure if I understand you eric79.

If you are refering to the Strategy Tester Settings window's "use date" option - it has not been checked. As far as I know the test is using only the dates that are in the .hst files.

Weighing trade according to direction

Not a problem Eric

I would also say that we should keep orders in both directions of the grid. (I have never played with Grid trading). Just that in the direction of the HMA or another indicator - one should double the weight of the trade.

Example: So if we think prices are going up - put stop of 2% of free Margin in up direction and 1% in down direction.

BC Brett:
I'm not sure if I understand you eric79. If you are refering to the Strategy Tester Settings window's "use date" option - it has not been checked. As far as I know the test is using only the dates that are in the .hst files.

to get a better accuracy you have to mark only the date range for that you have 1Min data imported before.

cardio:
Not a problem Eric

I would also say that we should keep orders in both directions of the grid. (I have never played with Grid trading). Just that in the direction of the HMA or another indicator - one should double the weight of the trade.

Example: So if we think prices are going up - put stop of 2% of free Margin in up direction and 1% in down direction.

This is an interesting thought cardio. I like the idea of weighting in the direction of the trend, I just wonder what will happen after a few weeks when direction has switched back and forth a few times and you already have open longs and open shorts. I guess this will require some thought. The grid will sort of weight in the direction of the trend anyway by only entering new positions in that direction, but I see what you are saying though.

Maybe the user should be able to decide whether to have grids going in both directions (weighted one way) or whether to only have grids going in one direction (HMA slope)??

lomme:
to get a better accuracy you have to mark only the date range for that you have 1Min data imported before.

Yes, that's what i meant. Check the "use date" and then only test for the period where you got the imported data for. That should get you the higher quality.

Makes No Difference

eric79:
Yes, that's what i meant. Check the "use date" and then only test for the period where you got the imported data for. That should get you the higher quality.

I tried your suggestion.

The original test report (with "use date" unchecked) shows:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Symbol: GBPUSD (Great Britain Pound vs US Dollar)

Period: Daily (D1) 2004.12.08 00:00 - 2006.04.14 00:00

Model: Every tick (based on all available least timeframes with fractal interpolation of every tick)

Bars in test: 518

Ticks modelled: 7195243

Modelling quality: 41.84%

Initial deposit: 5000.00

Total net profit: 129088.50

Gross profit: 137287.60

Gross loss: -8199.10

The test report using your suggestion (with "use date" checked and date specified From:2004.12.08 To:2006.04.14) shows:

Symbol: GBPUSD (Great Britain Pound vs US Dollar)

Period: Daily (D1) 2004.12.08 00:00 - 2006.04.14 00:00 (2004.12.08 - 2006.04.14)

Model: Every tick (based on all available least timeframes with fractal interpolation of every tick)

Bars in test: 518

Ticks modelled: 7195243

Modelling quality: 41.84%

Initial deposit: 5000.00

Total net profit:129096.50

Gross profit:137284.80

Gross loss: -8188.30

Hopefully the Strategy Tester improvements in build 192 will make a difference.

I am still testing the grid methods.

As I described earlier in this thread, I am experimenting with closing the entire grid (all open positions in all grids) when my account equity has increased to a certain amount. Then I restart the grids fresh at that point. For example, look at the statement I have attached. This is the Grid Trader EA. Eventually we can modify this EA to have this feature be automatic.

I have it running on two pairs, in one direction (direction of HMA slope). When the net profit (equity) reaches a certain level, I close everything. This seems to be a good way to reset the grids periodically before they get out of control and open too many positions, have too many large floating losses, etc.

In this statement, I have been resetting the grid when a net of $1000 has been achieved (started with 25K demo, reset twice this week)

I am still experimenting with the proper lot sizing, etc. Obviously it must be very conservative since you will have a lot of orders opened.

The other question is what to do when the slope of HMA turns over--close all open positions and start in new direction--or leave open positions alone and start pending orders in new direction. I am leaning towards closing all at this point too, but I still think that if this EA gets modified to have these features, this should be an option for the user.

Eric

Files:

Eric, Within Grid Trader I see that Griddirection is in default at 1. Is 1 long and 2 short? Or how do you change long to short? I'm going to do some testing on your EA, are there any other parameters that you would recommend I change in an attempt to optimize it? Thanks.

goldensight:
Eric, Within Grid Trader I see that Griddirection is in default at 1. Is 1 long and 2 short? Or how do you change long to short? I'm going to do some testing on your EA, are there any other parameters that you would recommend I change in an attempt to optimize it? Thanks.

1 is long. -1 is short. So you have to set it for the direction you want. I didn't write this EA, I think it was written for someone at strategybuilerfx, I'm not sure. I just found it--there are several grid EAs floating around.

Try to find some grid spacing and TP levels you like, but the real key is how you book your profit, close losing trades, eliminate floating losers, etc. That's why I'm experimenting with booking profit and resetting the grids as equity increases.

Reason: