Moving Average - page 59

Curve Fitted Displaced Moving Averages

Hello,

I have been experimenting with displaced moving averages lately and I found something rather interesting. Plot a 3 SMA with a displacement of 8 on an hourly chart. It catches all the trends pretty quickly. The problem, of course, is the chop.

If you consider that markets may in fact have waves and they are of different lengths and speeds, you could try and anticipate these changes by adjusting the displacement for the previous day, week, month and trading off of that difference.

I am requesting someone to make an MA which will adjust based on the previous days closing data.

For example, in the chat you can see the EUR/USD. Yesterday the best setting to use was the displacement of 5. With this setting the market was captured most comfortably in its long or short bias. And following that same setting for today, the market has been following the same line. If it does not accurately reflect the cycle and speed of the market on the close, we can adjust it again for tomorrow.

Does this make any sense? I know most people will say anything which is perfect in the past will certainly be wrong in the future. But consider that almost all successful short term trading relies on this "false" assumption. If the market is going down, why should we expect it to stop going down? Only because we have observed in the past that after a certain speed of dropping markets tend to reverse.

The only thing I can compare which I have seen on this forum is the zig zag series of indicators but these are really only good for seeking out levels of support and resistance, at least the way that I look at them.

Files:
dmaexample.gif  46 kb

could you post indis?

mezarashii:
Hello,

I have been experimenting with displaced moving averages lately and I found something rather interesting. Plot a 3 SMA with a displacement of 8 on an hourly chart. It catches all the trends pretty quickly. The problem, of course, is the chop.

If you consider that markets may in fact have waves and they are of different lengths and speeds, you could try and anticipate these changes by adjusting the displacement for the previous day, week, month and trading off of that difference.

I am requesting someone to make an MA which will adjust based on the previous days closing data.

For example, in the chat you can see the EUR/USD. Yesterday the best setting to use was the displacement of 5. With this setting the market was captured most comfortably in its long or short bias. And following that same setting for today, the market has been following the same line. If it does not accurately reflect the cycle and speed of the market on the close, we can adjust it again for tomorrow.

Does this make any sense? I know most people will say anything which is perfect in the past will certainly be wrong in the future. But consider that almost all successful short term trading relies on this "false" assumption. If the market is going down, why should we expect it to stop going down? Only because we have observed in the past that after a certain speed of dropping markets tend to reverse.

The only thing I can compare which I have seen on this forum is the zig zag series of indicators but these are really only good for seeking out levels of support and resistance, at least the way that I look at them.

you can take ma cross ea (ma1period=1; ma2=3) and play with shift param., what criteria you applied to shift optimization?

How to be here?

small indi 4 visual

adjustable shift - no idea

Files:
ma_shift.mq4  4 kb
ma_shft.gif  21 kb

equivalent EMA

Anyone knows how to calculate what EMA I would put on M5 chart that is equivalent to the 8EMA on the 4H chart?

Much appreciated

kamikaze; ma crosses

Files:

wma & 2 mas roc (momentum, slope...)

Files:
gel2wma1.mq4  8 kb
ma_x2_roc.mq4  3 kb
wma_maroc.gif  13 kb

ma ribbonhttps://www.mql5.com/en/forum/178821; ma histo - variation, 4mas; play with parammeters

Petor

mladen:
Try this out

Very interesse Indicator is this MA+Ray! Thank You very much, for him!