Trading Strategies Based On Digital Filters - page 20

woh i leave for a day and there is a flurry of activiity....well it's friday, i'm taking the night off :-)...

i have plenty to keep me busy this weekend, but i will post everything this weekend for this week coming up, including my strategy ( more like ideas)...

best,

cl

Case of the moondays...

Well it's Monday morning. I have to go to work in a bit ( not a full time trader yet :-(

In any event, deeforex nice job with your analysis. I think you are right up to speed with the rest of us.

Simba - I was just scrolling through the help file, and thought i saw where RBCI is FATL- SATL. That may be incorrect, i haven't had time to look.

Attached is a pic of an indicator i tried creating this weekend. Before i approached an EA i thought it would be easier to do an Indicator with my rules, and then paint arrows on the chart for entries and exits.

I had to start somewhere.....so basically here were my three rules....

1. 60 min - FATL above SATL = uptrend, SATL above FATL = downtrend. I couldn't figure out how to reference a 60 min chart on a 5 min, so i basically used a MTF FTLM, and replaced the coefficients with FATL SATL, and made a homemade indicator that showed that difference on the current chart.

2. On a 5 minute chart ( you could do 15, or whatever), we only take trades in the direction of the trend. My thinking was to lock in safe, consistent gains.

3. SATL has to be +0 for long, -0 for short.

4. Entry is cross of FATL to the other side of 0, depending on the direction of the trade.

Exit was simply set to FTLM going back above the opposite direction of entry. Again, i just picked something out of thin air. I had to start somewhere :-)

Now these aren't hard defined rules or anything....but i promised i would post something that showed my "idea". I wish entry could be sooner, maybe SATL's slope change is a better entry than +-0.

In any event, you guys have a great day, and i'll be sure to stop by later.

Best,

cl

Files:

clahn04:
..deeforex nice job with your analysis. I think you are right up to speed with the rest of us.

1. 60 min - FATL above SATL = uptrend, SATL above FATL = downtrend. I couldn't figure out how to reference a 60 min chart on a 5 min, so i basically used a MTF FTLM, and replaced the coefficients with FATL SATL, and made a homemade indicator that showed that difference on the current chart.

Hey thanks. I really owe it to you guys for your questions and detailed answers. I hope I can keep up when Simba moves ahead

This link might be the MTF SATL you're looking for. You'll need both the indies in that post plus an additional one named SATL. If you need a MTF FATL, you'll have to modify the code in the xpMA to include calling an indie called FATL. Since you you seem good at modifying existing code, you should easily see what to do.

I posted in the MTF thread asking FXBS if there is a more efficient way of calling the custom indicators to get the MTF to work. Right now, a total of 3 indicators is being used to get 1 number. In my mind, this is not a very good use of computer resources. We'll see what he says.

It will be very interesting to see how the numbers generated from FXBS's mtf compare to your MTF FTLM. Let us know if you get a chance.

dee

Simba,

Any chance you are at your computer and have that slope EA. I'm trying to figure out how to code a slope based on a line, but i'm having issues....

cl

clahn04:
Well it's Monday morning. I have to go to work in a bit ( not a full time trader yet :-(

In any event, deeforex nice job with your analysis. I think you are right up to speed with the rest of us.

Simba - I was just scrolling through the help file, and thought i saw where RBCI is FATL- SATL. That may be incorrect, i haven't had time to look.

Attached is a pic of an indicator i tried creating this weekend. Before i approached an EA i thought it would be easier to do an Indicator with my rules, and then paint arrows on the chart for entries and exits.

I had to start somewhere.....so basically here were my three rules....

2. On a 5 minute chart ( you could do 15, or whatever), we only take trades in the direction of the trend. My thinking was to lock in safe, consistent gains.

3. SATL has to be +0 for long, -0 for short.

4. Entry is cross of FATL to the other side of 0, depending on the direction of the trade.

Exit was simply set to FTLM going back above the opposite direction of entry. Again, i just picked something out of thin air. I had to start somewhere :-)

Now these aren't hard defined rules or anything....but i promised i would post something that showed my "idea". I wish entry could be sooner, maybe SATL's slope change is a better entry than +-0.

In any event, you guys have a great day, and i'll be sure to stop by later.

Best,

cl

This looks so much like one of my early systems using digital filters, it's scary. MTF_FTLM and everything. Bravo, dude!! You're on the rite track IMHO (H = Humble).

clahn04:
Simba,

Any chance you are at your computer and have that slope EA. I'm trying to figure out how to code a slope based on a line, but i'm having issues....

cl

Hi clahn,Still not at my location.Anyway,I have made a test EA.It is coded to buy when slope of standard RSTL goes UP,exit when it goes down,and sell when it goes down(next bar if you were long,same bar if you were neutral).

You just change the standard satl and rstl for your custom ones in the following code(please attach them in a post here for everybody to test)

double Buy1_1 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "SATL", 0, Current + 0);

double Buy1_2 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "SATL", 0, Current + 1);

double Buy1_3 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "RSTL", 0, Current + 0);

double Buy1_4 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "RSTL", 0, Current + 1);

double Sell1_1 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "SATL", 0, Current + 0);

double Sell1_2 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "SATL", 0, Current + 1);

double Sell1_3 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "RSTL", 0, Current + 0);

double Sell1_4 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "RSTL", 0, Current + 1);

double CloseBuy1_1 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "SATL", 0, Current + 0);

double CloseBuy1_2 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "SATL", 0, Current + 1);

double CloseBuy1_3 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "RSTL", 0, Current + 0);

double CloseBuy1_4 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "RSTL", 0, Current + 1);

double CloseSell1_1 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "SATL", 0, Current + 0);

double CloseSell1_2 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "SATL", 0, Current + 1);

double CloseSell1_3 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "RSTL", 0, Current + 0);

double CloseSell1_4 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "RSTL", 0, Current + 1);

And you leave this code as it is

if (Buy1_3 > Buy1_4 ) Order = SIGNAL_BUY;

if (Sell1_3 < Sell1_4 ) Order = SIGNAL_SELL;

if (CloseSell1_3 > CloseSell1_4 ) Order = SIGNAL_CLOSESELL;

if (CloseBuy1_3 < CloseBuy1_4 ) Order = SIGNAL_CLOSEBUY;

If you want to use the slope of a SATL,you just use 1_1 and 1_2 instead of 1-3 and 1_4...and,if you want to use crossover of SATL over RSTL..you just use ..if(if (Buy1_1> Buy1_3 ) Order = SIGNAL_BUY;...etc,etc

The EA has a very basic MM function,so,if you use max risk=3..it will use 3 lots for every 100k usd in account.

My suggestion is the you use your custom satl and rstl(16 and 24 coefficients)and test the different alternatives for the period from 12 December to now in h4 tf...if it takes too long for testing,as usual with digfilters,you can test on open bar,results are the same..usually

Files:

Forex For Life,

That's funny. :-) I promise i didn't steal it! lol

Simba,

Thanks for the response. Last night i did something similar in excel, to test the SATL slope. I found that filtering out the slope when it's close to level and not moving much kept you out of a lot of choppy trades. I think for my purposes i found the 2 period slope at each point in time. I then averaged the past 2 periods of that. If it was >.025, we have a Long trade. If it's < -.025,we have a short. Anything in between represented "No trade". Attached is the word file ( i can't post excel files, so i pasted it into word). The only thing i'm wondering is when the entry should be. Should it be at the beginning of the bar, so the slope is referencing the previous SATL for slope or not......not too sure. The SATL will always recalculate with new data....

I think there is some great power to be found in these slope strategies.

Comments always welcomed. I'll be back around later.

Safe trades,

cl

Files:
slope.doc  304 kb

Thanks for the EA Simba.

I just kept everything as default, with the exception of changing the names of the indicator. I loaded it with the indies that I created last week.

I've got 1 order on it so we'll see how it does. Since I took the pic, the order is down 10 pips to +5pips.

dee

Files:

clahn04:
Forex For Life,

That's funny. :-) I promise i didn't steal it! lol

Of course you didn't. Just kidding.

I want to thank you, deeforex, dvarrin, robertinno, and Simba for reviving this thread and thus resparking the fire in me to research this area w/ more gravity.

You guys rock!!!

Reason: