Why is it better MT5 than MT4?? Does it have fewer limitations ??? - page 3

honest_knave:

I do (hence my tick harvesting).

I harvest ticks and then generate offline charts from that data by building my own .hst files to my specifications.

To be clear - this is nothing to do with strategy tester.

At the moment, it would appear there is a frustrating split between MT4 and MT5.

In MT4, I can create offline charts for whatever I want. Different timeframes, renko, range, composite symbols. I can treat those offline charts like standard charts.

But, I have to harvest my own ticks and that causes some headaches.

In contrast, MT5 gives me access to all my broker's tick data - great! But I can't create an offline chart to use that data. 

I hope to see MT5 close the gap by providing native support for alternative chart timeframes and styles.

Hahahahaahha. I understand you. I hope so, too. You are right (in my opinion), as always.  Offline charts. They told that they were working in it. I hope it will be true. Many thanks for your opinion. Regards and a big hug.

Fernando Carreiro:
You see, you are disputing the fact again and imposing your own opinion and disregarding where others will not agree. That is what I wanted to avoid. Do as you wish!
Updated Fernando. It's already included as separate things. Your opinions are ALWAYS welcome. Many thanks.

Jose Francisco Casado Fernandez:
Updated Fernando. It's already included as separate things. Your opinions are ALWAYS welcome. Many thanks.

Everyone is free to have an opinion and to express it, but facts and data are more valuable. Someone previously said that MT5 is slower than MT4, that's an opinion. An opinion so obviously contrary to the facts that it's just laughable and not worth to discuss it. 

The problem start when someone try to present his opinion as the final truth, to present an opinion as it was a fact. And it happens often, sometimes so often that nobody takes care and don't even read hundred time repeated opinion presented as a law. I will never agree with that and I will not let develop such behavior while I am moderator.

Alain Verleyen:

Someone previously said that MT5 is slower than MT4, that's an opinion. An opinion so obviously contrary to the facts that it's just laughable and not worth to discuss it. 

Actually, I did inadvertently discover an occasion where MT4 is substantially quicker than MT5 - ObjectFind().

Run the same script on both platforms:

void OnStart()
  {
   string name = "ObjectThatDoesNotExist";
   ulong begin = GetMicrosecondCount();
   for(int i=0; i<10000; i++) int result = ObjectFind(0,name);
   printf("There are %i objects on the chart. ObjectFind() loop took %i μs", ObjectsTotal(0,-1,-1), GetMicrosecondCount()-begin);
  }

Result on MT4: There are 0 objects on the chart. ObjectFind() loop took 1499 µs

Result on MT5: There are 0 objects on the chart. ObjectFind() loop took 147318 μs

honest_knave:

Actually, I did inadvertently discover an occasion where MT4 is substantially quicker than MT5 - ObjectFind().

Run the same script on both platforms:

void OnStart()
  {
   string name = "ObjectThatDoesNotExist";
   ulong begin = GetMicrosecondCount();
   for(int i=0; i<10000; i++) int result = ObjectFind(0,name);
   printf("There are %i objects on the chart. ObjectFind() loop took %i μs", ObjectsTotal(0,-1,-1), GetMicrosecondCount()-begin);
  }

Result on MT4: There are 0 objects on the chart. ObjectFind() loop took 1499 µs

Result on MT5: There are 0 objects on the chart. ObjectFind() loop took 147318 μs

Yes, I was not saying that MT5 is always faster, but talking about this post :

According to my experience, MT5 is much more resource consuming than MT4. The resources are memory, CPU and disk. If workload is high, then on the same PC MT5 can get slower than MT4. In other words, you can expect MT5 is faster than MT4 if hardware is enough for the upgrade.

Stanislav Korotky: According to my experience, MT5 is much more resource consuming than MT4. The resources are memory, CPU and disk. If workload is high, then on the same PC MT5 can get slower than MT4. In other words, you can expect MT5 is faster than MT4 if hardware is enough for the upgrade.

I too, can attest to that experience!

At home, I only use MT5 on my main PCs because it is quite resource hungry, while on my Windows tablet, although MT5 works, it is too slow and I can only effectively use MT4 properly.

On my VPS setups, I am able to get away with reduced configurations for MT4 (even with several terminals running at the same time), but for MT5 I have to setup a more powerful configuration in order to get an equivalent performance.

Obviously, after the minimum threshold is broken, MT5 continues to pick up on speed, outperforming MT4 very easily, while MT4 remains at the same lower level.

Alain Verleyen:

Everyone is free to have an opinion and to express it, but facts and data are more valuable. Someone previously said that MT5 is slower than MT4, that's an opinion. An opinion so obviously contrary to the facts that it's just laughable and not worth to discuss it. 

The problem start when someone try to present his opinion as the final truth, to present an opinion as it was a fact. And it happens often, sometimes so often that nobody takes care and don't even read hundred time repeated opinion presented as a law. I will never agree with that and I will not let develop such behavior while I am moderator.

I totally agree. Many thanks for your opinions and comments, as always. Regards and a big hug.

Stanislav Korotky:
According to my experience, MT5 is much more resource consuming than MT4. The resources are memory, CPU and disk. If workload is high, then on the same PC MT5 can get slower than MT4. In other words, you can expect MT5 is faster than MT4 if hardware is enough for the upgrade.

Yes, you are right. Depending on your configuration (bars in chart, number of open charts, indicators and EAs working, News enabled, number of symbols active in Market Watch, etc), MT5 can consume more resources.

As you said, it could only affect to speed if you have a very fewer resources machine.

Many thanks for your opinion and comments. Regards and a big hug.

Fernando Carreiro:

I too, can attest to that experience!

At home, I only use MT5 on my main PCs because it is quite resource hungry, while on my Windows tablet, although MT5 works, it is too slow and I can only effectively use MT4 properly.

On my VPS setups, I am able to get away with reduced configurations for MT4 (even with several terminals running at the same time), but for MT5 I have to setup a more powerful configuration in order to get an equivalent performance.

Obviously, after the minimum threshold is broken, MT5 continues to pick up on speed, outperforming MT4 very easily, while MT4 remains at the same lower level.

As I said to Stanislav, I totally agree. Many thanks for your comments. Regards and a big hug.
Reason: